• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Wife thought we had a mini vulture! (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
For the last few days my wife kept saying she had seen this bird with no head feathers. and it looked like a vulture!! she described it and i thought it must be a blackbird. But every evening no sign of bird, then came home fri and there it was, feeding on its own, any other blackbirds that came down to feed would chase him of. A male it was, he had good plumage up to his neck and then nothing completly bald. There was a real line of feathers around his neck and the rest looked like he had been plucked. Never seen this before, has anybody ?
bert.

ps no birds will tolerate it feeding near them!!!!

Update, our bold blackie is now feeding daily, he seems to have settled and be more at ease. There is no more loss of feather's and the other birds seem to have got used to him. he is down at least twice a day, so far so good.
bert.

Bluetail said:
I've seen a Dunnock like this, but not a Blackbird.
Bluetail, do you know if it survived? this little fella seems in good health apart from loss of head feathers. he is down at least twice a day and has a good appetite. Icant see him ever getting a mate just hoping he will survive the winter. bert.

scampo said:
Now Bert, lots of bald-headed men find partners, why not a bald-headed blackbird?

(-;
:clap: :'D Nice one scampo, but as you know our avian friends only go for the best and fittest, sexist!!

Bluetail said:
It was on my local patch that I used to visit every week. I never saw it subsequently so it may be that it died.
Thanks Bluetail.
bert.

I was just thinking that it might have had its head feathers pecked off. My brother used to keep pigeons as a lad and they did sometimes peck a particular bird's feathers.

scampo said:
I was just thinking that it might have had its head feathers pecked off. My brother used to keep pigeons as a lad and they did sometimes peck a particular bird's feathers.
Don't think so. The feathers around his neck, stop in a nice neat circle, and there is no sign of any growth on his head. It's to neat for plucking, were there would be some sign of feathers, more so on his throat & chin. Thanks for the idea scampo.
bert.

It's a long shot, this, I know Bert but have you considered...

... does it walk around with a rosary?

Attachments

• friar.jpg
    friar.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 124
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back