• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery bird, El Paso, Tesas (1 Viewer)

Mike Richardson

Formerly known as Skink1978
These photos were taken in El Paso in late February by my girlfriend. I did not see the bird. Although the photo is poor, I think the bird looks like some type of blackbird/cowbird.

Can anyone identify it to species level?

elPaso09_0244_forum.jpg elPaso09_0245_forum.jpg

Thank you in anticipation.

EDIT: Just realised my typo in the title! It should be El Paso in TEXAS!

Last edited:
Looks like a brown headed cowbird...something real common in your neck of the woods with all of that open country...cattle, pastures, fences etc....

I was thinking Brown-headed Cowbird, although I just thought I'd see what everyone else thought. I saw this species in the same location about an hour earlier.

BTW Imans66, I don't live in Texas (unfortunately), I was on vacation. Thank you both for your help.

I thought Brown-headed Cowbird initially, but the bill just does not look stout enough on either photograph for a cowbird.

I think that perhaps this is a female Brewer's Blackbird as the Brewer's has a more slender and pointed bill.

I thought Brown-headed Cowbird initially, but the bill just does not look stout enough on either photograph for a cowbird.

I think that perhaps this is a female Brewer's Blackbird as the Brewer's has a more slender and pointed bill.

I was thinking brewer's for the same reason. Skink, can you tell us, did the head look brown compared to the black body? The colours are difficult to make out in these photos.
Scott

I didn't see the bird myself, although I saw a BH Cowbird earlier nearby. I see what you both mean with bill shape and that is one of the reasons for my post. My girlfriend doesn't remember even taking the photo!

Thanks

The brewers is possible...the coloration could easily fit both....the definition of color between the brown head and darker body is more conducive to the cowbird although the beak looks more like a brewers... Most probably Brewers then.....

The brewers is possible...the coloration could easily fit both....

A male BHC would have a uniformly pitch black body and a dark brown head. This bird has a light brown head and some light coloration on the body. A female BHC would have a uniformly light brown body, not the mostly dark coloration we see here. So I don't think the plumage fits BHC. Long legs and tail also fit structure of Brewer's better.

Here are some female brewer's (if you scroll down): http://fireflyforest.net/firefly/2007/01/11/brewers-blackbirds/

Cordially,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back