• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Names lacking in the Key (5 Viewers)

Thanks Björn,

I have added inverse to the inversus entry in The Key because it appears on p. 597 of the Bull. Soc. Vaudoise as Tetrao medius inverse. (Both Tetrao and medius are masculine: the new name should be inversus). However, I treat “Métis” as a vernacular name, from French métis hybrid.

James

Last edited:
Even if apparently a hybrid, it's a scientific name (both) not listed in today's Key.

I do not think it is really intended as a scientific name.
"Métis" (= a crossbred) and "inverse" (= opposite) are both standard French words.
Italicization is used several time in this paper as a mean to underscore some French technical terms ("en lyre", "en éventail", etc.); and it is not applied consistently to this particular word, hence hard to use as conclusive evidence.
See, e.g., p. 596, where Fatio compares the "Tet. medius ordinaire" to the "Tet. medius inverse", where (1) "Tet. medius" is italicized but "inverse" is not, and (2) "inverse" should logically be given the same standing as "ordinaire", which is certainly a French word.

Ok, thanks Laurent! Who am I to doubt your interpretation and conclusion? I just spotted it, and, to me, it looked like a scientific name, but now I think you are fully correct.

I must admit that I was a bit puzzled by the 'fact' that I couldn't find an equivalent/corresponding (new) name for Fatio's second (i.e. the very first) bird, of those two/deux Tétras ...

Sigh, I really, really should stay away from those French texts.

Sorry for wasting your time. And James's (as well as others, of course).

:censored:

Last edited:
Not sure if the following ones truly are Scientific (Generic) names, but I think/guess so ...

All found in Jakob Theodor Klein's Historie der Vögel, 1760* (at first noticed on page 15, here):
  • Hamiota (No.63, see p.128)
  • Anomaloroster (No.66, see p.132)
  • Jaculator (No.67, see p.134)
  • Platiroster (No.69, see p.135)
  • Coniroster (No.71, see p.143)
  • Perversiroster (No.74, see p.150)
Neither one incl. in today's Key.

Just an observation, thus, take it for what it's worth ...

/B

*Not incl. in the Key's List of References.

Ok, Laurent, if so Klein sure managed to deceive me, but ok ... fair enough, I assume you are correct (as usual), though some of those names, also repeated in the Register der ausländischen Namen (here), does, or did, look scientific (and binary), at least to me (regardless if they today "are not available", or vice versa). However, I'm mostly wrong in cases like this, thus, I fold.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks Bjorn and Laurent. I have made a short entry in The Key based on your remarks and findings (the other names are listed but refer to this entry/definition).

Jaculator (“Ardeidae; syn. Tigrisoma † Bare-throated Tiger Heron T. mexicanum”) L. iaculator fisherman, harpooner < iaculum javelin. In early 2023 Björn Bergenholtz brought to my attention a small group of generic names then missing from The Key. These were culled from Klein, 1760, Historie der Vögel, I, pp. 15-150, a work deemed non-binominal by ICZN, 1974, Bull. Zool. Nomencl., 30, p. 80, Opinion 999, and hence unavailable (Laurent Raty in litt.). The published names, of varying hierarchical values, are Hamiota (L. hamiota angler), Anomaloroster (L. anomalos irregular; rostrum bill), Jaculator (see above), Platiroster (Gr. πλτυς platus broad), Coniroster (L. conus cone, apex), and Perversiroster (L. perversus awry, crooked). Jaculator is here singled out because of the three forms given, based on plates LXIV and LXV in Seba, 1734, Rerum Naturalium Thesaurus, I, two are woodpeckers (Picus viridis and Dendrocopos major) and the third, suspending belief and giving some latitude to the artist, a tiger-heron!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back