• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nectariniidae (1 Viewer)

Bizarrely, Robert Cheke attributes the specific name to the author of the replacement generic name:
The Purple-naped Sunbird was until recently known scientifically as Hypogramma hypogrammicum (Müller 1843) but its generic name was pre-occupied by a moth, so the sunbird’s name is now Kurochkinegramma hypogrammicum Kashin 1978.

Michaël P J Nicolaï, Bert Van Hecke, Svana Rogalla, Gerben Debruyn, Rauri C K Bowie, Nicholas J Matzke, S J Hackett, Liliana D’Alba, Matthew D Shawkey, The evolution of multiple colour mechanisms is correlated with diversification in sunbirds (Nectariniidae), Systematic Biology, 2024;, syae006, The evolution of multiple colour mechanisms is correlated with diversification in sunbirds (Nectariniidae)

Abstract
How and why certain groups become speciose is a key question in evolutionary biology. Novel traits that enable diversification by opening new ecological niches are likely important mechanisms. However, ornamental traits can also promote diversification by opening up novel sensory niches and thereby creating novel inter-specific interactions. More specifically, ornamental colours may enable more precise and/or easier species recognition, and may act as key innovations by increasing the number of species-specific patterns and promoting diversification. While the influence of colouration on diversification is well-studied, the influence of the mechanisms that produce those colours (e.g. pigmentary, nanostructural) is less so, even though the ontogeny and evolution of these mechanisms differ. We estimated a new phylogenetic tree for 121 sunbird species and combined colour data of 106 species with a range of phylogenetic tools to test the hypothesis that the evolution of novel colour mechanisms increases diversification in sunbirds, one of the most colourful bird clades. Results suggest that (1) the evolution of novel colour mechanisms expands the visual sensory niche, increasing the number of achievable colours. (2) Structural colouration diverges more readily across the body than pigment-based colouration, enabling an increase in colour complexity. (3) Novel colour mechanisms might minimize trade-offs between natural and sexual selection such that colour can function both as camouflage and conspicuous signal. (4) Despite structural colours being more colourful and mobile, only melanin-based colouration is positively correlated with net diversification. Together, these findings explain why colour distances increase with increasing number of sympatric species, even though packing of colour space would predict otherwise.

We estimated a new phylogenetic tree for 121 sunbird species and combined colour data of 106 species with a range of phylogenetic tools to test the hypothesis that the evolution of novel colour mechanisms increases diversification in sunbirds, one of the most colourful bird clades.

So where is this tree? It's not in the paper and there don't seem to be supplements. Very anticlimactic!

How is it accessible please? I can't see anything like that on the article page
The Zenodo folder associated to this paper is at Data from: Evolution of multiple colour mechanisms enhances opportunities for diversification in sunbirds (Nectariniidae)
There is indeed a file called called "Sunbirds_New_Complete.tre" in the .zip file -- which is actually repeated 20 times, in folders associated to various analyses.
This file contains the tree displayed in the attached .pdf file.

How can you tell that there are no additional supplementary files associated to the paper on the OUP website ? (The website shows supplementary files only to those who have access to the paper.)

Attachments

• Sunbirds_New_Complete.tre.pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 36
Is splitting the sunbirds in three genera (Chalcoparia, Nectarinia and whatever genus is available for the Asian clade) a possibility?
It is currently an absolute shambles (not that I'm surprised, I think it was mostly morphological guesswork).

A bit surprised to see Purple-naped Spiderhunter with its old genus name here...

My taxonomy of sunbirds, initially based on the book "Large bird radiation" is very close to this figure, except for the position of Anthreptes anchietae. I hope there is a name available for it

A quick google search showed me that already in 1922 (A. Roberts, Review of the nomenclature of South African birds) it was listed as "Anthreptes" anchietae, but unfortunately the genus proposed for it (Sclaterornis) has arturi as the type.

My taxonomy of sunbirds, initially based on the book "Large bird radiation" is very close to this figure, except for the position of Anthreptes anchietae. I hope there is a name available for it

I don't think there is one.

The usually accepted type fixation for Cinnyris Cuvier (which you appear to accept in your taxonomy) is somewhat problematic. In my notes, I have :
  • Originally included nominal species : Certhia splendida, C. afra, C. superba, C. lotenia, C. amethystina, C. chalybaea, C. omnicolor, C. cuprea, C. purpurata, C. cyanocephala, C. zeilonica, C. dubia, C. senegalensis, C. sperata, C. madagascariensis, C. lepida, C. currucaria, C. rubrofusca, C. fuliginosa, C. maculata, C. rectirostris, C. venusta, C. gutturalis, C. famosa, C. pulchella, C. violacea
  • Type : Certhia chalybea Linnaeus 1766
  • By : subsequent designation
  • In : Selby PJ. 1840. A catalogue of the generic and sub-generic types of the class Aves, birds, arranged according to the natural system; with separate lists distinguishing the various quarters of the globe in which they are to be procured. T and J Hodgson, Newcastle.; p. 33.
  • Notes : Introduced as a subgenus of Certhia. Invalid designations –
    • Swainson W. 1820-1821. Zoological illustrations, or original figures and descriptions of new, rare, or interesting animals, selected chiefly from the classes of ornithology, entomology, and conchology, and arranged on the principles of Cuvier and other modern zoologists. Vol. I. Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, London.; text to pl. 95; “Typ. Gen. Upupa Promerops Lin. – Certhia famosa Lin. […] Generic Types. Cape Promerops, and Shining Creeper. Lath.”; two species designated at the same time.
    • Reichenbach HGL. 1853. Handbuch der speciellen Ornithologie. Scansoriae. The Climbers.–Les Grimpeurs.–Die Klettervögel. B. Tenuirostres. The Suctorial-Birds.–Les Tenuirostres.–Die Dünnschnäbler. Dresden & Leipzig.; p. 287 : Certhia splendida Shaw 1811; later than Selby 1840.
    • Gray GR. 1855. Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. British Museum, London.; p. 19; same species as Reichenbach 1853; still later; accepted in the PCL.

Last edited:

The usually accepted type fixation for Cinnyris Cuvier (which you appear to accept in your taxonomy) is somewhat problematic. In my notes, I have :
  • Originally included nominal species : Certhia splendida, C. afra, C. superba, C. lotenia, C. amethystina, C. chalybaea, C. omnicolor, C. cuprea, C. purpurata, C. cyanocephala, C. zeilonica, C. dubia, C. senegalensis, C. sperata, C. madagascariensis, C. lepida, C. currucaria, C. rubrofusca, C. fuliginosa, C. maculata, C. rectirostris, C. venusta, C. gutturalis, C. famosa, C. pulchella, C. violacea
  • In : Selby PJ. 1840. A catalogue of the generic and sub-generic types of the class Aves, birds, arranged according to the natural system; with separate lists distinguishing the various quarters of the globe in which they are to be procured. T and J Hodgson, Newcastle.; p. 33.
    • Swainson W. 1820-1821. Zoological illustrations, or original figures and descriptions of new, rare, or interesting animals, selected chiefly from the classes of ornithology, entomology, and conchology, and arranged on the principles of Cuvier and other modern zoologists. Vol. I. Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, London.; text to pl. 95; “Typ. Gen. Upupa Promerops Lin. – Certhia famosa Lin. […] Generic Types. Cape Promerops, and Shining Creeper. Lath.”; two species designated at the same time.
    • Reichenbach HGL. 1853. Handbuch der speciellen Ornithologie. Scansoriae. The Climbers.–Les Grimpeurs.–Die Klettervögel. B. Tenuirostres. The Suctorial-Birds.–Les Tenuirostres.–Die Dünnschnäbler. Dresden & Leipzig.; p. 287 : Certhia splendida Shaw 1811; later than Selby 1840.
    • Gray GR. 1855. Catalogue of the genera and subgenera of birds contained in the British Museum. British Museum, London.; p. 19; same species as Reichenbach 1853; still later; accepted in the PCL.
The best I can do is, not a Pawn Stars meme, but put the Notiocinnyris clade and "Anthreptes" anchietae in Anthobaphes, by default

I'm surprised that the cladogram determined by Nicolaï et al isn't in the printed article rather than being relegated to the supplementary information - it was important for their analysis.

Selby is the first to designate a type species for Cinnyris ?

A note should be published in a journal to fix it otherwise the current typification will be applied and that of Selby ignored

As Cinnyris lotenius was missing in the tree provided by Laurent, I thought this paper was interesting as it does treat this species.
It's probably not surprising that it appears close to C. asiaticus.

Wickramasinghe, C., Samaraweera, M., Jayasena, N., Lokugalappatti, LG, 2022. mtDNA-based phylogeny of sunbirds (Passeriformes: Nectariniidae) found in Sri Lanka. Ceylon Journal of Science 51, 495-500.

What is the original source of the choice of coccinigastrus as the type species?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back