• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying ravens (1 Viewer)

JJWiebbecke

United States
We live in Florida, South Central. According to my field guide, we’re not supposed to have ravens. BUT we have two HUGE specimens, a pair, frequent our yard looking for the raw peanuts I put out for the squirrels. They make sounds similar to a crow, but they seem much too large to be crows. Much, much larger than a pigeon, for instance. Never a flock, just this one pair.

Any help for me, or is this a lost cause?

American Crows are significantly bigger than any pigeon species you are likely to see in the region, plus the habits and vocalisations you've described fit them better (Ravens have deeper and somewhat more melodic voices, and they are less likely to frequent urban or suburban areas). That said, it's hard to be certain without a picture.

This thread has prompted me to an astounding (to me) realization, that any species of Raven would be a 1st state record for Florida according to Ebird. I never realized how rare they are outside of their home ranges.

There is not one recorded straggler for that entire empty space in their range. That’s pretty amazing in my opinion. They are expanding their range in some places, but it seems that it is happening in a creeping fashion.

Attachments

• 867EA41F-F1F1-48DB-AEA2-0ACBA7479024.png
    867EA41F-F1F1-48DB-AEA2-0ACBA7479024.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 16
American Crows are significantly bigger than any pigeon species you are likely to see in the region, plus the habits and vocalisations you've described fit them better (Ravens have deeper and somewhat more melodic voices, and they are less likely to frequent urban or suburban areas). That said, it's hard to be certain without a picture.
Good information, thanks. Do crows eat raw peanuts? I will attempt to get a photo of these magnificent birds. I’m not finished with my quest, lol. I have only seen one raven in my entire life and that was in Utah. We became great friends that day.

Good information, thanks. Do crows eat raw peanuts? I will attempt to get a photo of these magnificent birds. I’m not finished with my quest, lol. I have only seen one raven in my entire life and that was in Utah. We became great friends that day.
Yes, crows are known to eat peanuts.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back