• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID on a Grassland bird: Kenya at Amboseli NP (1 Viewer)

rwpierce

I photographed this bird on the grasslands of Amboseli NP in Kenya in September , 2019.

The bird is the same bird in both photos. I noticed the red at the end of the beak near the face and what looks like a mustache and goatee. Mostly brown all over and light belly.

Any ID help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Bird one.jpg
    Bird one.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Same bird 2.jpg
    Same bird 2.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 32
It’s a Pratincole - ( maybe Oriental?)
just noticed it’s Kenya - so my original thought of ‘collared’ probably would be better!

Last edited:
Thanks for your help on the ID of this bird. This bird does not appear in the Birds of Kenya field guide that I have been using.
Is it a rarity in Kenya?

Thanks for your help on the ID of this bird. This bird does not appear in the Birds of Kenya field guide that I have been using.
Is it a rarity in Kenya?

It should be in your bird book.
Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania says about Collared Pratincole "locally common along Rift Valley lakes and coastal estuaries."
Looking at the eBird range map there are quite a few reports of it from Amboseli NP.
https://ebird.org/map/colpra?env.mi...&env.maxX=41.887524&env.maxY=4.63381900000002

On a much more thorough read through my Kenya birds book, I did find the info on Collared Pratincole. Thanks again for the insights!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back