• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need quick suggestions for birds kicked out of home mid-winter (1 Viewer)

Christina2010

Today, my neighbor cut down all their really tall, dense bamboo that a TON of songs birds were living in. It’s the middle of winter with the worst yet to come and there’s not too many trees around (medium-highl populated suburb). I feel SO sad for those poor birds. Is there anything I can do to help them immediately? Its supposed to sleet/snow again this week. I already have 2 bird houses in my backyard. Should I put out nesting material? Should I hang a tarp for cover? Will they all have already dispersed from my area by tomorrow? I have no idea and know nothing about nesting. I’m desperate for any suggestions please! Thank you!

Birds dont nest in mid winter in North America. All you can do is carry on feeding and putting fresh water out for them. They will have moved on to find suitable shelter and roosting sites.

That's not quite true - off the top of my head, Great Horned Owls nest in the winter. But certainly nothing that would nest in a bamboo thicket would do so in winter.

Hi Christina and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum.

We really care about your concern for the birdlife nearby but I don't know what you can do except as mentioned about feeding and leaving fresh water around. Stick around though cause hopefully one of our geniuses will come up with an idea for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back