• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need to identify the 4 raptors posted today (1 Viewer)

Ains

ID  0F4A5216.JPGID 0F4A5241.JPGID 0F4A5122.JPGID 0F4A5074.JPGToday snapped these raptors. In the first snap, I'm not sure of the bird's ID above the second one below seems an Oriental Honey-buzzard. In the 2 photographs, the same bird from snap 1 to the one above, the 3 snap is a buzzard (common or Long-legged Buzzard) the 4 snap a vulture?
Location Mount Abu Raj. India.
Taken today, 8 Dec 2020.

Not convinced there are two species in #1. Think OP may be correct with Oriental Honey Buzzard for bird on lower right?

Agree with
1. Bonelliโ€™s Eagle and Oriental HB
2. Bonelliโ€™s Eagle
3. Buteo - likely vulpinus
4. Black Vulture

I am surprised by the proposal that this is a vulpinus. I have never been to Asia incl India, but I have a good deal of experience with Buteo from Europe. There are four species of Buteo in my India FG, and Buteo buteo looks like the least likely according to this FG: big heavy black patches behind the Alula and a dark belly band. So what makes it a common buzzard anyway?

Niels

Itโ€™s not a Long-legged Buzzard so yes, vulpinus is one of the more likely options on range. Thereโ€™s probably introgrades with burmanicus and/or japonicus ( the former found in the foothills of the Himalayas (this time of year) and japonicus on the Eastern side of the Himalayas ) and perhaps hitherto undocumented various other ssp. Iโ€™m not sure how you would go about separating them from the very variable โ€˜pureโ€˜ Common Buzzards of the region so unless we are looking at Long-legged Buzzards, the buteos are probably best left unidentified to sub species imo.

Just to add, I also wouldnโ€™t be surprised if vulpinus shared some plumage types with japonicus and burmanicus in the contact zones anyway and as with other intrograde races and ssp of buteos that occur in hybrid/intergrade zones, separating them on plumage might be very difficult.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=913&Bird_Image_ID=168277&Bird_Family_ID= (taken in Japan)

Last edited:
OK, the images needs a little further comment.
The first one is just labeled Buteo buteo but the list of synonyms make it clear that it is pre-split of Himalayan and Eastern.
The second is labeled japonicus and would therefore be Eastern (B. japonicus) according to current taxonomy.
The third one is labeled burmanicus and therefore would be Himalayan (B. refectus) according to current taxonomy.
The fourth and fifth one is just labeled Buteo buteo but the list of synonyms make it clear that it is pre-split of Himalayan and Eastern.

So I agree that image three in the original post is a Buteo and that it could easily be labeled as Buteo buteo from the pre-split period but I disagree that it is likely Buteo buteo from the post-split taxonomy

Niels

The Buteo is a juvenile Himalayan Buzzard. Or japonicus, these are almost indistinguishable in my opinion, but let's call it Himalayan because of that should more expected there.

The Buteo is a juvenile Himalayan Buzzard. Or japonicus, these are almost indistinguishable in my opinion, but let's call it Himalayan because of that should more expected there.
Interesting!

- literature Iโ€™ve read seems to point to burmanicus as largely sedentary (except for short range altitude migration) as resident of the Himalayas/Nepal/Pakistan and Steppe as wintering throughout India.

https://bubobirding.com/species/himalayan-buzzard/ and monotypic quite rufous (as the earlier link)

http://indianbirds.in/pdfs/IB.9.2.GanpuleBhatt_SteppeBuzzard.pdf states vulpinus winters โ€˜widelyโ€™ throughout the Indian continent

Opus has japonicus wintering in SE Asia, Korea and Southern Japan

So, I admit that I am confused as to the range of all three taxa and this is one of the most confusing threads Iโ€™ve read on the splits https://www.birdforum.net/threads/himalayan-buzzard.132483/

Last edited:
OK, the images needs a little further comment.
The first one is just labeled Buteo buteo but the list of synonyms make it clear that it is pre-split of Himalayan and Eastern.
The second is labeled japonicus and would therefore be Eastern (B. japonicus) according to current taxonomy.
The third one is labeled burmanicus and therefore would be Himalayan (B. refectus) according to current taxonomy.
The fourth and fifth one is just labeled Buteo buteo but the list of synonyms make it clear that it is pre-split of Himalayan and Eastern.

So I agree that image three in the original post is a Buteo and that it could easily be labeled as Buteo buteo from the pre-split period but I disagree that it is likely Buteo buteo from the post-split taxonomy

Niels

The OBC tends to lump subspecies together on the database.

Please provide up to date range maps for Eastern Buzzard and Himalayan Buzzard and also Steppe Buzzard wintering in India. Thank you. That would be very instructive! (As I did think the OP matched japonicus but discounted it on range)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back