• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting Boxes (1 Viewer)

mikemaber

I have a nest box which blue tits used (unsuccessfully) last year. From late December, blue tits have been showing an interest in it. surely too early for nesting preparations? Perhaps they are just looking for insects? Or perhaps, as a neighbour said, they "are measuring up for curtains".

Another question please: do birds use nest boxes for roosting?

Your Blue Tits are probably getting ready for breeding - it looks like it will be another early season this year as I have already seen blackbirds and Wren nest building locally and a lot of activity around boxes.

Same here I was curtain I sawone of my Great Tits look through my nestbox yesterday fingers crossed and I think some House Sparrows will nest in my Sparrowbox I got them 2 years ago I've noticed them looking inside the holes too.

They will start inspecting boxes around Janurary, especially on sunny mild days, but might not decide on them until April, or may change their mind. Nest building will not begin until early April at the soonest, and the female will often roost in the box for a few weeks beforehand.

Birds will also roost in boxes in winter, although they leave their droppings in there (in contrast to when they have young, when they keep it very clean and remove droppings), so they tend not to use a winter roosting box for nesting, as it is full of droppings and can attract predators with the scent. There are always exceptions, however, and the fact that you have interest already is a good sign.

You'll know if Blue Tits are seriously interested in your box, as you'll see butterfly flights (where the male flutters across the garden on stiff wings like a butterfly) and hear singing (the clear "too-too-tooo tutututututu").

Thanks for answers. At the end of last season I removed two dead blue tit chicks, but left the nest. Should I remove it and brush out box?

Should I remove it and brush out box?

Yes it would be best to empty out the box completely - you may wish to wear rubber gloves (marigolds, etc) and a dust mask as old nests frequently harbour mites, fleas, etc and some people have more sensitivity than others.

I agree with Karl, empty the box. One year we did it and it was teaming with little flying bugs. And do it asap as well. If you feel like giving them a helping hand you could always put something like below to start it off or place nearby. A few years ago we place some in bits in the garden and the nest was completed within about 3 days in the box.
http://www.jacobijayne.co.uk/birds_wild-life_shop.php?page=NESTBOX&type=NEST_BUILDING

As for the night roosting , in our camera box we had a Great Tit that made it his night pad for nearly 2 years, he obviously kept an eye on it during the day as when some BT were eyeing it up for nesting it fought with the male. We also have another box in the garden which we currently have a BT night roosting in.

Last edited:
You can leave the nest if you like. It makes no difference to the birds overall. They re-use natural nest sites perfectly well. It may well have fleas, most nests do, but you'll get a dose too if you go rooting it out now (as the fleas have woken up). They very rarely harm the birds - they're wild animals, and they all have a few fleas anyway. You only need to empty the box if it starts filling up and there's no room for a new nest.

Thanks everyone. Some conflicting advice!

On a general forum level, despite filling out all the necessary details when joining, I am not getting notification of posts in a thread I created. On other forums these come automatically via email.

We had a large tree cut back at the weekend to make it safe, today watching the birds which are now more visible from our window I noticed a nuthatch go into one of the nest boxes at first we didnt think he could fit the hole but he did, then a bluetit who has been one of many inspecting this nest box for weeks arrived and for about 10 minets they squabbled about this box chasing each other off, it will be interesting to see who wins, but has anyone seen a nuthatch use a nest box

Some years ago, in a different house, we had nuthatches as regular visitors, and most years they used the nestbox. They blocked part of the entrance up with mud to suit them. Doesn't sound as though yours will need to do that! Hope they win the battle and stay around! Do they feed in your garden?

The nuthatches have been infrequent visitors foe years so a treat when they turned up, but this year they have used the feeders on a regular basis all winter, also this year bullfinches have fed daily we have at least 3 pairs.
To say we had to stop feeding on the ground due to vermin we have a lovely selection of birds in the garden.

Last edited:
All this talk of nuthatches has reminded me of an amusing nest I came across many years ago. A nuthatch had, in time honoured tradition, plastered the tree nest hole entrance with mud - well I thought it was mud at first but on closer inspection realised it was horses manure!

Pooh, those were the days!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back