• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 500mm and 600mm FL E Nikkors (2 Viewers)

JPAC

Quote; "The AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR and AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR have been made significantly lighter with the adoption of two fluorite elements for each. The AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR weighs approximately 3,090g, making it roughly 20% lighter than its predecessor, and the AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR weighs approximately 3,810g, making it about 25% lighter than its predecessor. This reduction in weight makes both lenses the world's lightest lenses available at their respective focal lengths.
In addition to fluorite elements, adoption of a magnesium alloy for lens barrel components not only contributes to the lighter weight, but also preserves strength and durability. Adoption of fluorite and ED glass elements also enables superior rendering with effective reduction of chromatic aberration, and adoption of Nano Crystal Coat provides excellent optical performance with which ghost and flare are suppressed."

So, lighter and much more expensive, 500mm £5849>£8149 (+£2300), 600mm £6899>£9649 (+£2750) WEX prices.
Very impressive MTF charts, especially for the 500mm :t:

More info;

http://www.nikon.com/news/2015/0702_lens_01.htm

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/singlefocal/Telephoto/af-s_500mmf_4e_fl_ed_vr/spec.htm

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/singlefocal/Telephoto/af-s_600mmf_4e_fl_ed_vr/spec.htm

Last edited:
Great news. The MFT charts look really good and hopefully will make them good with the teleconverters this time. The old 500mm was ok with the 1.4 but went down hill after that and the old 600mm wasn't very good with any of them. If they work with the TCs this time, combined with a D810/800E, they may at last be a better option than a Canon.

20% lighter and a 60%+ price increase!
the 500mm will be 30% more expensive than canon 500mm IS USM II,
will it be 30% better?
don't think so…
;)

20% lighter and a 60%+ price increase!
the 500mm will be 30% more expensive than canon 500mm IS USM II,
will it be 30% better?
don't think so…
;)

+1 to that

I shoot Nikon, BUT

The new Nikon prices for the 500mm and 600mm are just way more expensive than the Canon

I have the "old" 600mm Nikon and I am thinking about moving to Canon for their current 600mm …. and their cropped sensor 7D
The Nikon D750 FF has almost persuaded me to stay with Nikon, but I have never been impressed with the D7100 and I do not reckon the D7200 will be much better.

For birding I reckon the Canon 600mm + Canon TC's and the latest 7D is the way to go ……. and Nikon do not seen to have much to compete with the Mk ll 100 400mm from Canon, for BIF's ……. not sure about the 80 400mm Nikon …… the new 300mm f4 PF looks very interesting, but Nikon really should produce a better cropped body than the D7200………. and what do Nikon have to compete with the "old" Canon 400mm f5.6 ………. and if you really want "hand held" the Canon 400mm f4 VR

IMHO

Last edited:
+1 to that

I shoot Nikon, BUT

The new Nikon prices for the 500mm and 600mm are just way more expensive than the Canon

I have the "old" 600mm Nikon and I am thinking about moving to Canon for their current 600mm …. and their cropped sensor 7D
The Nikon D750 FF has almost persuaded me to stay with Nikon, but I have never been impressed with the D7100 and I do not reckon the D7200 will be much better.

For birding I reckon the Canon 600mm + Canon TC's and the latest 7D is the way to go ……. and Nikon do not seen to have much to compete with the Mk ll 100 400mm from Canon, for BIF's ……. not sure about the 80 400mm Nikon …… the new 300mm f4 PF looks very interesting, but Nikon really should produce a better cropped body than the D7200………. and what do Nikon have to compete with the "old" Canon 400mm f5.6 ………. and if you really want "hand held" the Canon 400mm f4 VR

IMHO

maybe Nikon will come up with a new pro DX camera body this year, the new 16-80/2,8-4E DX zoom, could be an indication that a new high speed camera body is on the way, (the electro magnetic shutter is designed for high frame rates…)

maybe Nikon will come up with a new pro DX camera body this year, the new 16-80/2,8-4E DX zoom, could be an indication that a new high speed camera body is on the way, (the electro magnetic shutter is designed for high frame rates…)

Thanks

I hope so as Nikon seems to have just lost it's DX way a little since the D300

Nikon's view seems to be that you should buy a FF body and use the crop mode if you want DX ........ I agree in a way as I find the D750 much better cropped than the D7100 ...... in every way

WEX launch prices for Canon's 5 and 600mm lenses were somewhere in the region of £9000 and £11000 respectively.
The Nikon prices are likely to fall quite considerably in due course.

Quote; "The AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR and AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR have been made significantly lighter with the adoption of two fluorite elements for each. The AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR weighs approximately 3,090g, making it roughly 20% lighter than its predecessor, and the AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR weighs approximately 3,810g, making it about 25% lighter than its predecessor. This reduction in weight makes both lenses the world's lightest lenses available at their respective focal lengths.
In addition to fluorite elements, adoption of a magnesium alloy for lens barrel components not only contributes to the lighter weight, but also preserves strength and durability. Adoption of fluorite and ED glass elements also enables superior rendering with effective reduction of chromatic aberration, and adoption of Nano Crystal Coat provides excellent optical performance with which ghost and flare are suppressed."

So, lighter and much more expensive, 500mm £5849>£8149 (+£2300), 600mm £6899>£9649 (+£2750) WEX prices.
Very impressive MTF charts, especially for the 500mm :t:

More info;

http://www.nikon.com/news/2015/0702_lens_01.htm

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/singlefocal/Telephoto/af-s_500mmf_4e_fl_ed_vr/spec.htm

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/singlefocal/Telephoto/af-s_600mmf_4e_fl_ed_vr/spec.htm

I think for the weight reduction it is worth it though.
Have decided to sell my very good 500 f4vr.

WEX launch prices for Canon's 5 and 600mm lenses were somewhere in the region of £9000 and £11000 respectively.
The Nikon prices are likely to fall quite considerably in due course.
Dave,
I paid £8000 on day 1 from LCE. It is around the same weight as my 300 f2.8vr and much better balanced. Very easy to hold handheld. I traded in my 500f4vr and my 300f2.8 vr for this lens and so far very happy with it.

I held the new 500mm FL at the Digital splash Photo show the other weekend. It felt extremely well balanced and very light. Its' out of my price range for now so I didn't bother trying, it was also very busy there. Looks to be a great lens.

I have the new 600mm f4e and all I can say is it is unbelievable...............hand holdable in short bursts, but mainly shot off a Wimberley head and I paid UD$9800 or 6455 quid

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back