• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New but probably wrong insight about lowlight (2 Viewers)

So with the help of spotlight at nite and using 10x42 and 10x32 hand held for nocturnal wildlife, which one will resolve better details if the user is around 53 years old?

This discussion comes back over and over . Therefore I decided to compose a large review paper entilted: "Color vision, brightness, resolution and contrast in binocular images". It is a 30 page review of published data with regard to this matter and it is published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. That may answer a lot of the questions raised.
Gijs van Ginkel

That is interesting. I didn't know that. What is the range of movement? Is that really as big as from 4.2 to 5mm and back, and than from 4.2 to 5mm again?
The range of movement is always the same. The pupil moves. It can be 3mm or 6mm in diameter. When it moves it moves regardless its diameter, something the Iris is responsible for.

Regardless the size of the pupil, the pupil moves (the visible size of the pupil is decided by the Iris).
Otherwise we should only see the object straight ahead of the view.
Aaah ... your eyes must be different from mine. My pupils do not move when I look around while keeping my head still - my whole eye(ball) moves. I did not know that pupils could move independently from the rest of the eye. Learn something every day.

8x42 vs 10x42.png
Thanks for all the answers! I received the book, but haven't read it yet. So maybe I will get some answers while reading it.

But for now I still don't understand it totally what is wrong with the assumption I made and visualised in this picture. Can somebody explain what is wrong? Although Jan van Daalen already made a comment that the size of the pupil changes constantly (but up to 5.25mm?). However, is that the only reason this theory is wrong?

I’m just curious why you want more than one reason.

I’m assuming we can define perceived brightness as “related to the number of photons falling on the retina at any given time”.

It seems obvious to me that this will vary as the pupil either expands or contracts.

The pupil contracts reflexively when the external light level increases, so this is going to have a profound effect on how bright the image appears to us.

The human eye is not a reliable photometer.

Maybe sometimes one can arrive at the same conclusion by different routes. Maybe some people need things explained in a certain way so they can understand them.
There are quite a few people here with profound knowledge of optics, physics, etc. Not everyone who wants to understand some of the topics on this board has such a background. And not everyone with such a background also has the didactic ability required to 'teach' the others.

Last edited:
Aaah ... your eyes must be different from mine. My pupils do not move when I look around while keeping my head still - my whole eye(ball) moves. I did not know that pupils could move independently from the rest of the eye. Learn something every day.
You're quite right. The eyeball moves (so the pupil moves). Sorry for the confusion. I'm just Dutch.
The main point is that the exitpupil from the binocular does not move. So when the pupil (while moving) has the space of, for example, 7mm from a 10x70 but is by itself just 4mm it collects more light while in theory the 10x42 would do the same job as a 10x70.

I think what is being discussed as brightness is in fact surface brightness.

The pupil size does oscillate slightly and is not constant in size.

The eye is a good photometer when it comes to comparing luminosity.
Accurate to about 9% or 10% with an experienced viewer, but not everybody has this ability.
It is a bad photometer in actual luminosity.

I find also that estimating AFOV by eye is poor in absolute terms with no comparison standard.

The two eyes may vary considerably in sensitivity to light, both day and night.

The original question is about low light.

Here lies the problem, as the amount of dark adaption varies. It also varies person to person, by age, by tiredness and the light levels experienced before low light vision and the time elapsed.

If one closes one eye and looks at a computer screen in a fairly dark room, then the difference in light levels and colour perception is amazing when the closed eye is open.
Say 5 to 10 minutes with one eye closed.

Transmission measurements give a fairly good idea of surface brightness.

There are too many variables to be definite but the surface brightness in an 8x42 is probably brighter than a 10x42 in birdwatching low light levels.

However, fainter stars are visible in the 10x42 unless the pupil size is particularly small.

Personally, I have always favoured a 10x50 instead of 7x50, although the latter can provide very relaxed viewing.

Regards,
B.

View attachment 1573194
Thanks for all the answers! I received the book, but haven't read it yet. So maybe I will get some answers while reading it.

But for now I still don't understand it totally what is wrong with the assumption I made and visualised in this picture. Can somebody explain what is wrong? Although Jan van Daalen already made a comment that the size of the pupil changes constantly (but up to 5.25mm?). However, is that the only reason this theory is wrong?
I think the image is not wrong, but it would mean that if you look at a point source, in those circumstances (same eye's pupil size, and exit pupil of 8 mag bino too big compared to the eye) the point source would look brighter in the 10x bino. Now an extended image, say you look at the wall, would look the same brightness in both binos because, although the 10x bino gathers more light, it also magnifies and stretches the image comapred to the 8x.

Screenshot_20240416_083237_DuckDuckGo.jpg

This picture mixes up relative brightness with light amount.
The brightness is always primary based on the effective exit pupil.
With 4,2mm(or smaller) eye pupil, 8x42 and 10x42 provide equally bright image. As soon as eye pupil is larger than 4,2mm, 8x42 becomes brighter than 10x42.
But when observing a light source the light amount reaching the eye is higher with 10x42.
In order to receive the same light amount from a light source with 8x42 as with 10x42, eye pupil needs to be 5,25mm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back