• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New EDG 8x42 (1 Viewer)

I wouldn't pay $1400.00 for the EDG I 8x42. The price is too high and there were too many problem's with those. The 1st generation EDG's were going for $800.00 to $900.00 on Ebay when there were some available. If you had trouble with an EDG I and sent it into Nikon they would send you an EDG II but I am sure they don't have any more EDG II's now.

Actually, the EDG I was marked at $1,595. The EDG II for $1,400 is new, but I got to speak with the shop owner today. He said the II's were a warranty replacement for a pair of 1st Gen's they sent for repair. FWIW, he said he could flex on the price of either, but we didn't get to that far. Amazing what all they had in their used / discontinued case.

When the EDG's were first introduced and Nikon phased the EDG I out for the EDG II you could pick the EDG I up for about $800.00 then pretty soon the diopter would slip and you send the EDG I into Nikon for repair and they would send you an EDG II for free. I got an EDG II 8x32 that way.

Last edited:
I question if I should even try a Zeiss SF 8x32 since I have the Nikon EDG 8x32. The SF will have a bigger FOV but that is not everything. The EDG 10x42 is better than the new Zeiss SF 10x42 so why wouldn't it be the same with the 8x32's?

https://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

Dennis,

the Zeiss will certainly be a very good pair of binoculars and of course if I get the chance to look through it I'll do it ... but the EDG is so good that I don't need another 8x32, the field of view is not everything and I don't need every top binocular the market is that Nikon will be with me for a long time.;)

Andreas

Dennis,

the Zeiss will certainly be a very good pair of binoculars and of course if I get the chance to look through it I'll do it ... but the EDG is so good that I don't need another 8x32, the field of view is not everything and I don't need every top binocular the market is that Nikon will be with me for a long time.;)

Andreas
Agreed! I feel the same way. But I must say I am tempted to try the new SF 8x32 because of that HUGE FOV!;)

Nikon

My primary birding binoculars presently are Nikon 8 x 42 EDG, second generation. I really love the ergonomics, and the view is excellent. People considering EDG should be aware that in designing them Nikon aoparently emphasizes fighting glare and an "easy view" over optimal brightness, and some people are disappointed at what they consider to be a "dark" image.

Also, despite the alpha binocular engineering overall, my EDG binocs have experienced chipping of the finish on the focus wheel and other parts of the central bridge area. This does not affect functionality, obviously, but I always thought that this reflected badly on the way the binoculars were designed.

As for service by Nikon, we all know by now that customer service is not Nikon's strong suit, and one decides to purchase Nikon gear despite the unpredictability of service. Sometimes Nikon does very well: I recently lost one of the tethered objective covers on my EDG binocs and Nikon sent me two replacements in the mail, free. It took a few weeks but I got them. On the other hand, when I lost one of the thin rubber coverings on the front eyepieces Nikon made me send the binoculars in for a "free" servicing. That cost me $15 in shipping for a part they could have thrown in an envelope and mailed to me.

Also: I still own a pair of 10 x 42 SE porro prism binoculars, which I have always really liked. However, there are no longer parts available (such as the extendable rubber eyepiece coverings). If you extend and retract these repeatedly (as would someone with eyeglasses) they eventually crack. This can be postponed through judicious usage of ArmorAll or another rubber conditioner, but eventually the pieces will wear out. When this happened to me I asked Nikon for replacements and was told these were not available. However, since there is a lifetime warranty on the SE's they said if I sent them the binoculars they would replace them with a brand new pair of Monarch HG binoculars. At the time, I thought that was ridiculous and I turned them down. But the Monarch HG's are actually quite good, so maybe I should have accepted the offer.

My point is not that Nikon customer service is monolithically "bad," but that it is kind of unpredictable. With Zeiss, Leica, and (especially) Swarovski, you get first-class service as befits a large purchase such as alpha binocs. I do think Nikon will continue to do what they can to service EDG binoculars, but since they are discontinued we just know they will run out of parts before long. Also, it seems that most of the EDG optics sold these days, (e.g., on ebay) are items marketed in Japan, so it is dubious as to whether Nikon in other countries will service them (because they are considered "gray market.")

All things considered, there is a lot militating against buying EDG binoculars at this point; on the other hand, if the price is right, why not?

GrandNagus50,

I found this to be a very succinct post regarding the EDG and Nikon service here in the US. Very well put.

Andy W.

I looked at those EDG's you're talking about myself last week. The little used case is the first place I usually go in that shop. I liked them. I'll probably get some EDG's myself...But unfortunately in 10 years when they sell on the used market for $300...

I looked at those EDG's you're talking about myself last week. The little used case is the first place I usually go in that shop. I liked them. I'll probably get some EDG's myself...But unfortunately in 10 years when they sell on the used market for $300...
The EDG's will probably go up in value once the supply from Japan dwindles and people realize how good they are. I guess they weren't a big seller for Nikon probably because people didn't want to pay Swarovski prices for a Nikon. When people think of Nikon binocular's they think of the $500.00 Monarch. It is funny too because Nikon makes some of the best optic's and camera's in the world like the Nikon D850 SLR. The thing is people didn't realize they were better than Swarovski's. If Nikon would have made a couple of improvement's on them and stood behind them there would have been no question hand's down the best binocular's you could buy.

Last edited:
But I must say I am tempted to try the new SF 8x32 because of that HUGE FOV!;)

Hi,

I would actually be more interested in the 10x32!

The EDG's will probably go up in value once the supply from Japan dwindles and people realize how good they are.

I think it will only be of interest to collectors, when the guarantee has expired and there are no more spare parts, you can not do much with the glass, normally such binoculars should be a companion for half a life.
Throwing away such a high-quality glass after 10 years is also not everyone's cup of tea.

Andreas

Same case the I found my NIB Victory FL 7x42's. In normal times I work about 5 min away, which means I'm there too much. Where I've bought all my bins and spotter though.

GrandNagus50,

I found this to be a very succinct post regarding the EDG and Nikon service here in the US. Very well put.

Andy W.

Agreed. Plus, the EDG is reported to be on the "dark" side of light transmission when compared to other top shelf glass.

...However, since there is a lifetime warranty on the SE's they said if I sent them the binoculars they would replace them with a brand new pair of Monarch HG binoculars. At the time, I thought that was ridiculous and I turned them down. But the Monarch HG's are actually quite good, so maybe I should have accepted the offer.

I know the SE is a bit of a cult item here, because it's no longer made (unobtanium is always desirable) and because of its status as one of the last and best porros. I can imagine most of those who own and post about SEs here would look down their noses at an offer to replace them with a Monarch HG. But when one gets down to the proverbial brass tacks, is such a offer really so ridiculous? Both were the second-best binoculars offered by Nikon, behind the EDG; if one takes the crude measure of pricing, appear to be in the same ball park - some quick research found that B&H appear to have offered the 10x42 SE new at $869.95 in 2013; the Monarch HG 10x42 is currently listed for sale on Amazon at $896 + shipping. The Monarch HG 10x42 outperforms the 10x42 SE in a number of pretty important respects - it's got a significantly wider field of view (6.9 degrees vs 6 degrees) and is fully waterproof. And in raw optical performance - OK, I haven't had the pleasure of looking through a SE, but (gee, I really ought not to do something so Dencoesque...) Roger Vine/scopeviews, which seems to be generally well thought of on this site, has compared the SE with the HG and seems to find them quite closely matched.

I'd like to know though what Nikon would have done with your SE if you'd taken up the offer of a trade!

Regards,
patudo

Hey Patudo

The 8x32 SE is an absolute gem. Something you just wouldn’t sell as it transcends monetary value.

I also have 8x42 HT which is a great binocular but not necessarily better than the SE.

Over time I would imagine both will increase in value as they achieve legendary status.

Sollas.

Hey Patudo

The 8x32 SE is an absolute gem. Something you just wouldn’t sell as it transcends monetary value.

I also have 8x42 HT which is a great binocular but not necessarily better than the SE.

Agreed. I have a late 8x32 SE and an 8x42 HT and I think they're terrific binos; mine are not for sale. My wife's 8x32 SE is her favorite.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back