• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New edition of Fågelguiden (Collins Bird Guide). (1 Viewer)

So does the guide change the taxonomy in use for each language edition it publishes, or do they just change the introduction to state that they don't follow whatever the local authority is 100%? Google tells me IOC split the Short-toed Larks in Dec 2020.
I have absolutely no idea.

The English language version of second ed. says something like "several competing taxonomies" leading to the choice of going with "authors' preferences" - same for common names.
Niels

The Danish translation of the second edition has the same reference to the Swedish list (with the exceptions) as the Swedish third edition. The publishers of the Danish translation expect to have the third edition ready in fourth quarter of 2023.

Has the order of the families been changed a lot? In the introduction to the second edition they already hinted to moving families (like wagtails and pipits) in the future. I hope it is more up to date now.

Has the order of the families been changed a lot? In the introduction to the second edition they already hinted to moving families (like wagtails and pipits) in the future. I hope it is more up to date now.
We are back at the old discussion: Should a FG reflect the recent systematic fashion/insights or should it follow the basic requirements that similar types can easily be compared. Thus, Peterson's original swallow/swift plate in his first FG for Europe still is a striking example of how a FG optimally fulfills its purpose. In this context, I hope falcons still follow the other raptors.

We are back at the old discussion: Should a FG reflect the recent systematic fashion/insights or should it follow the basic requirements that similar types can easily be compared. Thus, Peterson's original swallow/swift plate in his first FG for Europe still is a striking example of how a FG optimally fulfills its purpose. In this context, I hope falcons still follow the other raptors.
The order of the families seems to follow the second edition.

I agree more or less about the falcons. However, it would be a shame if this excellent guide in time became the “odd one out”. I am getting used to the new order via other books and that confuses me when I try to look something up in the Collins guide. Grant c.s. now create an order on their own: they do not put swallows and swifts together or the dunnock on the same pages as the sparrows like Peterson, which would indeed benefit comparison, and they also do not follow the recent scientific families. What purpose do they pursue?

Last edited:
They just realized they need to pulp and reprint so they can get juvenile lesser spotted woodpecker in...
And lots of other juveniles 👍🏻

True. If Collins has a weak spot, it is juveniles of common songbirds. Juvenile Bluethroat, Nightingale, various wheatears or Rock Bunting look very different from the adults illustrated. And are much more likely to cause confusion than hyper-rarities. They could be illustrated at least in the app version, which has no limits of space on plates.

Actually, Sibley bird guide, although overall much weaker than European bird guides, at least duly shows a juvenile of every species.

They just realized they need to pulp and reprint so they can get juvenile lesser spotted woodpecker in...
And lots of other juveniles 👍🏻
I wondered if Killian wanted to include some of the data and illustrations from Mullarney & Campbell 2022 on ID separation of Little and Saunders' Terns? The latter has a small population in the Red Sea, Habib 2021 thus breeding in the WP.
MJB
Habib, MI. 2021. Surveys of breeding Sooty Gulls on islands in Red Sea, Egypt, in 2012-2018. Dutch Birding. 44(1): 31-34.
Mullarney, K and O Campbell. 2022. Identification of Saunders's Tern and Little Tern, with special emphasis on juvenile and winter plumages. Dutch Birding. 44(3): 165-198.

The November issue of "Birdwatch" has an interview with the authors and photos of four of the new plates (partridges, redstarts, divers & wheatears - Pied/Cyprus/x2 Black-eared') and two double-page spreads (Pallid/Montagu's Harrier [which no longer share a spread with Hen Harrier] & vagrants - all the latter are now illustrated by at least one image),

.................................. once again fuels my disappointment at the Barn Swallow cover of the English version.
I fully agree, there should be a much more distinct cover for this new edition. The casual observer might not even realize that it is a new edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back