• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new leica monocular (1 Viewer)

Ingle1970

England
hello forum ,

anyone else seen the new 8x20 MONOVID yet ? , wonder how much they want for this little item !! ............

Very interesting to me, given that i guess i am more of a "naturalist" than a birder. Am a Papilio 8.5x user at present for macro. I read Leica's page on this. It appears the close focus is achieved via a supplemental lense that attaches magnetically? Interesting. Would be interesting to see a picture of the supplemental lense. Also, I am wondering what the focus range of the device with the supplemental is?

I think the writeup says that the closeup lens screws on and the carrying case has a magnetic closure. I like your idea better though. The quicker the better. Butterflies have been known to fly away.

Hello, If you watch the picture on the link you will see the supplemental lens already mounted but no individual picture of. If you already noticed this.:t: It is still early for me.;)
Regards,Steve

Hello, If you watch the picture on the link you will see the supplemental lens already mounted but no individual picture of. If you already noticed this.:t: It is still early for me.;)
Regards,Steve

Ah yes, thanks, did not notice that, nor that it is the case that is magnetic.

First impressions...

Good:
Fully waterproof, trick coatings, Leica quality

Bad:
Very expensive, large, requires a separate piece for close up

The last issue is a particular turn-off for me as the close up piece is bound to be a management problem, prone to loss or damage. 8x IMO is also at the high end of usefulness for a pocket monocular. 6 or 7x with a wide field is more useful and easier to use.
Last, and again, $500. for this is breathtakingly expensive.

I can't imagine these being very popular.

Last edited:
"Ah, some one who has used it."

Never said that. My impressions ("an idea, feeling, or opinion about something or someone, esp. one formed without conscious thought or on the basis of little information") are from Leica's spec sheet and U.S. vendor's pricing.

I'm sure optically it will be up to modern Leica standards, which is to say, excellent. It would have to impart xray vision before I'd likely pay $500. for it though ;)

Last edited:
Tested the new monocular at Uk birdfair a few days ago. Excellent optics. Nice and handy.
Similiar in design to the 8x20 BL, Image also very similiar just a monocular.

Tim

"It would have to impart xray vision before I'd likely pay $500 for it though"

The marketing lady from Leica's smile waivered somewhat when I asked her the price at Birdfair :)

It's a great-looking piece of kit and they're hoping for good sales for the item as a gift. I'd have to care for someone very much indeed to be spending that much on a gift! My wife is lucky to get a card and a gas station flower bouquet...

As a guy with monocular vision....... and there are many of us out there..... I have been waiting for a Leica Monocular (which isn't a rangefinder) for years !!!

However.... I have to say, £300+ is a bit steep...lol..... but I do have a few Leica Cameras..... so I expect a price tag like that... ;-(

Hi 300, You could always buy individual focus binocular used, something like a Fuji 7x50 at a decent price and cut it in half. Just a thought.
Regards,Steve

Did wonder what market Leica are hoping to target with the Monovid after I tested them.
The suggested retail price in the UK is £329, For £399 you could get a 7x Leica monocular with a built in Rangefinder ?

Other than the light weight and compact size when is something like this useful. I keep a pair of the excellent Zeiss 8x20 compact binos in my briefcase and they are used quite often. Is this to be used as a small spotting scope?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back