• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member Odd bird identification help (1 Viewer)

broomjob

Hello folks,

I am a new member in central New Hampshire, USA. I am reaching out as there has been a very odd bird visiting the area under my feeder for the last two day.

I have been totally baffled in my attempts to identify the bird in various field guides and online. I have attached photos of the bird for review.

The animal is between the size of an oriole and a robin, is very vocal with a regular loud PEEEEEP. In flight the bird has striking red shoulders and a striped tail. Any help in identification would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to BirdForum. I think your bird is a Red-winged Blackbird, but it has leucism which has led to the white patches in the plumage you can see.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

The red shoulders are making me wonder if this is a leucistic Red-winged Blackbird but I truly can't verify that for you so I am moving your thread to the I D section and have subscribed you to the thread so that you will get email notifications anytime someone posts to that thread.

leucistic =a condition in which there is partial loss of pigmentation in an animal—which causes white, pale, or patchy coloration of the skin, hair, feathers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back