• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New MeoStar B1 Plus Binoculars (1 Viewer)

No probs JG we are both just trying to figure out what is happening. And what appears to be happening is MeoPro Air is to take the place of B1/B1.1/B1 Plus and B2 will be top of the line but will not arrive this year as planned as Coronavirus has delayed it until 2021.

Lee

That's where I think it's heading too Lee. Thanks for the insight.

Hello all, after reading this thread I would like to add that the successor to the Meostar 1.1, the B1 ”Plus” is more than a cosmetic change.

Other than the armor, coatings (and dioptre adjustment?) the optics are manufactured to a higher/better tolerance, resulting in a sharper/better corrected binocular.

The HD models are the 10x42, 12x50 and 15x56 binos which have Fluorite lenses in them, the 8x models do not.

I have the 15x56 HD B1 plus and it is excellent when it comes to the optics. For my eyes I chose it over the Swarovski SLC 15x56 HD after comparing them at home. Most people would likely have chosen the Swaro

I have not seen through the previous B1.1 model but if the B2 is going to further improve on the Plus we are all in for a treat! I just hope they improve on the ergonomics a bit while they are at it.

According to the Meopta rep Covid has further delayed the B2 and Air series and impacted production across the line on the existing product lines. No release date as of yet and ordering existing products is on a product to product basis.

According to a friend of mine in the know,
The MeoPro Air is the next evolution in the MeoPro binocular and will replace the current MeoPro HD series. Much better glass and better design. The B2 is going to be the next evolution of the MeoStar binocular out in 2022 and will take the place occupied now by the B1 Plus. The Air should be available by July 2021, hopefully. I have admired the Air since I first saw a photo of one 15 months ago.

Sadly the Air is the first decent looking bino they've came up with, but it's an import like the rest of the MeoPro's. Too bad that design wasn't for their B2 flagship.

It will be interesting to see in which direction they are heading with the B2 design. I would prefer something like the Air in looks and size though I have to say my current B1 Plus is quite comfortable to hold despite the size. After touring the top three for some time I am quite happy with the Meopta I have and have plans for another one, delivery times are uncertain at the moment though.

The MeoPro Air 8x42 and 10x42's have arrived! I have only read positive comments from this open hinged offering from Meopta but it looks like so far so good!

Attachments

• Meopta MeoPro Air - 3.JPG
    Meopta MeoPro Air - 3.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 60
  • Meopta MeoPro Air - 2.jpg
    Meopta MeoPro Air - 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
The MeoPro Air 8x42 and 10x42's have arrived! I have only read positive comments from this open hinged offering from Meopta but it looks like so far so good!
I now see EuroOptic.com in PA. USA has the Meopro Air 8x42 HD ED in stock now.

Last edited:
I look forward to reviews of this binocular...at the moment only a 8x42 but 10X I hope.... From what I understand, the Meopro Air is more for birders while the B1 plus or the upcoming B2 will be for hunters. The difference in weight, might be one reason.

I hope this is less confusing for you guys than it was for me? This is according to Meopta: The glass in the MeoPro Air is equivalent to the glass used in the MeoStar binoculars, NOT the MeoStar HD binoculars. MeoStar HD uses fluoride objective lens elements. MeoPro Air uses HDED+ glass throughout the binocular, which is the same base glass as the MeoStar binocular.

I hope this is less confusing for you guys than it was for me? This is according to Meopta: The glass in the MeoPro Air is equivalent to the glass used in the MeoStar binoculars, NOT the MeoStar HD binoculars. MeoStar HD uses fluoride objective lens elements. MeoPro Air uses HDED+ glass throughout the binocular, which is the same base glass as the MeoStar binocular.
So if one wanted a 8x Meopta binocular with HD/ED properties which my 8x32 Meostar B1.1 has or is based on, with really nice long eye relief, FOV over 400ft and having a open bridge design that competes with the upper tier Birding Binoculars its the .... MeoPro Air 8x42. Considering it’s the only Meopta Binocular which offers a really nice long eye relief for use with sun/glasses and if it’s glass delivers that same crystal clear sharp view as my Meostar 8x32 B1.1 with having the same high quality build what’s not to like. When checking the current in stock USA dealer prices of the Meostar B1.1 8x32 and the 8x42 MeoPro Air, they are within $100 of each other which does not seem unreasonable considering what the Meopro Air reportedly provides in this open bridge 42mm binocular.

Last edited:
bartd: it makes sense actually. If they have tightened up their manufacturing tolerances it makes sense to run just one line of optics and then package them in different housings. The housings that are outsourced are the Meopro Air which are then mounted in the Czech factory to a lower total cost than the Meostar series which have most components made in the EU or in house.

BTW: I have a sample of the B1 Plus 8x32 and the 10x42 HD coming my way. Had I known that the Meopro Air was released I would have asked for a 8x32 Meopro Air as well!

The Meopro Air essentially takes the place of the Meostar B1.1 or B1.... The current B1 Plus is just a bridge until the Meostar B2 some out. I bet, as HenRun stated...they will use the same optic line in terms of manufacturing to help out with some of the production costs. Will see though. The Meopro taking the place of the Meostar B1.1 isn't a bad thing as it comes to be essentially the same thing but in a different packaging...

BTW: I have a sample of the B1 Plus 8x32 and the 10x42 HD coming my way. Had I known that the Meopro Air was released I would have asked for a 8x32 Meopro Air as well!

There's an 8x32 MeoPro Air as well? Or was that a hypothetical? :p

Also in terms of outsourcing, it may be more than just the housing. In Lee's interview with Miloš Slany from Meopta he answers with a simple "yes" to the question of whether the MeoPro Air is "made using out-sourced components in the same way as the MeoPros, and assembled in Czechia". It wouldn't surprise me if most of the binocular is produced elsewhere.

Also, the term "they have the same glass" is somewhat ambiguous. Does "the same glass" mean the glass is literally the same, or does it mean the design/optical system is the same, or does it just mean the specifications for the glass are the same (but it's made by someone else). Since Meopta is one of the few brands that is actually capable of manufacturing their own binoculars (including the glass), it's hard to know.

We all know these terms are used loosly. For example, Vortex moved their Razor HD production from Japan to China, and they claim it's the "same glass" with the same performance as before, but (obviously) cheaper to produce. In this case it's probably an identical product, just produced in a different place (perhaps with inferior QC, perhaps not). We also all know the Conquest HD (among others) is produced in Japan by Kamakura, but people still call it "German glass". If the glass is made in Japan to meet the specs defined by the designer in Germany (or the Czech Rep), and then assembled in Germany/Czech, is it "the same glass" as if they'd made the same stuff in house?

It doesn't really matter to me that much, honestly, as long as the performance and reliability is the same. If that allows them to deliver the same effective optical quality as the Meostar B1 in a less expensive, lighter weight housing, bring it on! ( But please bring on the 8x32 model also, with fatter eyecups :D )

I recently wanted a good mid-range 10x42 roof at the $1000 price point, so I tried the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Leica Trinovid HD 10x42, Nikon Monarch MHG 10x42, and the Meopro Air 10x42. I chose the Meopro Air 10x42 because it just worked for me better than the other three. The Zeiss is nice and has excellent optics being very bright but for some reason I could see a ring of light around the outer FOV like I was seeing beyond the field stop, so it was out. The Nikon Monarch MHG 10x42 is a fine glass, but it had too much CA for me, especially at the edge, so it was eliminated. The Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 is surprisingly nice, and it is small and light but for me the eye cups were a little short for the eye relief, so I got black-outs with it. I found the Meopro Air 10x42 is really a Swarovski EL 10x42 with slightly less sharp edges but no RB and better 3D at 1/2 the price. I really like the form factor and ergonomics better than any of the other Meoptas with the open hinge design. It feels great in your hands. The Meopta Meopro Air has excellent build quality rivaling Swarovski really. The paint and armor on it are flawless. I think if they would put their best glass in it and sell it for $1500 they would sell a ton of them.

I recently wanted a good mid-range 10x42 roof at the $1000 price point, so I tried the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Leica Trinovid HD 10x42, Nikon Monarch MHG 10x42, and the Meopro Air 10x42. I chose the Meopro Air 10x42 because it just worked for me better than the other three. The Zeiss is nice and has excellent optics being very bright but for some reason I could see a ring of light around the outer FOV like I was seeing beyond the field stop, so it was out. The Nikon Monarch MHG 10x42 is a fine glass, but it had too much CA for me, especially at the edge, so it was eliminated. The Leica Trinovid HD 10x42 is surprisingly nice, and it is small and light but for me the eye cups were a little short for the eye relief, so I got black-outs with it. I found the Meopro Air 10x42 is really a Swarovski EL 10x42 with slightly less sharp edges but no RB and better 3D at 1/2 the price. I really like the form factor and ergonomics better than any of the other Meoptas with the open hinge design. It feels great in your hands. The Meopta Meopro Air has excellent build quality rivaling Swarovski really. The paint and armor on it are flawless. I think if they would put their best glass in it and sell it for $1500 they would sell a ton of them.
From my experience with the Meopta Meostar B1.1 and considering your overall positive opinion of the Meopro Air, I would think Meopta’s new Air binoculars could easily be selling for $1500.

Last edited:
Surely it's the MeoPro Aqua?

The stock photo in post #67 shows what’s clearly a significant unannounced feature - it can be used to view what’s going on under water -
now that is an innovation!

John

p.s. I hope we'll soon be seeing field reports from users

Aqua?.jpg

Last edited:

Interesting input. I was initially (and still hanging on to the idea) going for "just" a 8x32. I did ask for a sample of the 10x42 HD just to see what it is like. If it is great I might get that too. I haven't had any 10x42 bino before and might enjoy it.

I sold off a Zeiss tripler, a Zeiss Mono, the FL 10x32 and the Victory 8x25 and got paid fairly well for all of them so the bino budget allows for two binos if I find both the Meoptas excellent. I really like Zeiss and if feels weird not having the FL 10x32 in the stable but after trying the SF I thought them too expensive (but great) and with Meopta I literally get two for the price of one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back