• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon travel scope (3 Viewers)

dipped said:
Hi All, InFocus have some details on the new 50mmED travel scope to be previewed at the (UK) Birdfair.http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/whatsnew.html

Looks interesting for those able to afford foreign birding jaunts!

It'll be interesting to see whether this scope fills a true need. In a way, its objective diameter is not that much above a 42mm type of binoculars. And the EDIII with its 60mm lens is already a very lightweight scope, but with better resolution due to this larger objective diameter. Thus, a 50mm ED scope will be a really good thing only for those - overall rare - occasions when one has to restrict one's luggage to such an extent that only 20 or 25mm binoculars plus this new scope fit in. And even this small scope can only deliver if one uses a sufficiently sturdy tripod.

But then, maybe users of the present crop of small (below 60mm) scopes can provide some arguments? I'd like to hear about them.

I tried it at the Birdfair today. It must be the ultimate travel scope - its tiny and has amazing optics. I tried it alongside the EDIII and couldn't tell any difference.

Have to agree with Richard. It will give the small Kowa and the Opticron MM2 a good run for their money when I looked throught it at the Birdfair on friday. Very pocketable!

nikon travelscope

did anyone find the price on new nikon 50mm spotter.? i called nikon usa & they knew nothing about it at all
thanks
brian

medinabrit said:
did anyone find the price on new nikon 50mm spotter.? i called nikon usa & they knew nothing about it at all
thanks
brian
I tried the Nikon at the Birdfair and think they are onto a winner. The price is £299 without eye-piece but all the Fieldscope ones fit. I occasionally help out at Minsmere selling optics and one of the biggest points to a beginner buying a scope is its weight. A lot of older people are taking up birding or are just unable to carry a 'standard' 'scope around. This new Nikon is ideal for them. It is so small you could put it in a pocket and not notice it. I have an old EDII 60mm Nikon which I can carry in a pocket in the back of my gillet but the new 50 is even smaller than it. It's weight is quoted as 455g for the straight and 470g for angled. It is 209mm long st and 207mm ang.
I looked thro' it at the Birdfair and was very impressed. A bright, clear and sharp image. I would have liked to have a more extensive test of it but, like everything at the 'Fair, time was of the essence. The colour scheme may put a few people off tho'. Olive green(not too bad but metallic) rose pink and charcoal grey.
I have just read the leaflet I picked up about them and they are water proof to 1m for 5 minutes. Thankfully I live on the East not the West coast of Englandhttp://www.birdforum.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=396260#
Winking

Ivan

thanks for the info seems to be what i need for a carry on on my trips to the uk .hope it comes to the usa soon . ill be in the uk in 3 wks so maybe i can check it out there.
brian

horukuru said:
what happened ?

where can we check for this scope ?

The scope doesn't become commercially available to mid-september I think. I imagine it was on the page as a tempter for birdfair and will reappear when they can sell it or its deletion is an oversight.

W/express advertise the Kowa 504ED in the magazines but its not on their website.

Last edited:
Tried this scope out at the Birdfair and I have to agree with the other posters above, it was fantastic. It had a 30x eyepiece on the demo model and it really was outstanding. I understand Nikon will not actually be producing them in the pink colour even though that is in the catalogue.

Personally, pink is not my colour being a hard drinking, hard swearing, rugby playing, SAS type trained killer and womaniser ;) ;) ;)

Yep, I tried this scope at BF too, and its a little cracker!

I understand its going to be £299 without an eyepiece and will be on sale sometime in September.

Swissboy said:
And the EDIII with its 60mm lens is already a very lightweight scope, but with better resolution due to this larger objective diameter.

Sorry to chime in on a negative answer, but objective diameter has less to do with resolution than on would think. Most importantly a larger objective will make higher magnifications more usable, so perceived resolution might be a factor of how the optics handle the magnification, as in the diameter of the exit pupil. If you eye is dilated shut, a 50mm scope at 20x will show just asa much resolution as a 80mm scope at 20x, given equal quality.

Personally I stick around 20-25x with scopes, so the surge of R&D in 50mm scopes is quite alright with me.

This 'scope is aimed at the the growing proportion of 50% of the population who feel excluded from traditional 'serious' birding circles (like it or not it's true, believe me) but are making a determined effort to join us: I refer to the ladies. My wife (5 foot nothing and 50+) could not carry a traditional 'scope, which let's face it are designed for blokes, but I will be buying one of these for her as soon as I can get hold of one.
I would not be at all surprised to see it produced in pink.

oh no,i promised myself i would'nt lust for a new scope since i am saving for ultravids, or el's or something!.i quite fancy one of these on a manfrotto monopod.it looks so small and light i think i could take it out with me all the time without exception.

[99% of all shed spiders are given the name boris
by thier owners!],shed facts

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back