• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Old Trinovids (2 Viewers)

Hello Denco,

You are fully entitled to think like this and I have absolutely no problem with this.

I think differently , and I am almost sure that I am not alone.

Just call me "Maverick"

o:D o:D o:D

Have a pleasant time over the holliday season.

Cheers.
If you try the Retrovid you will see there is no reason for Uppendahl prisms. The optics are quite good with the SP prisms. I doubt if an Uppendahl would have improved the view or made the binocular more compact and would have added to the cost. You have to remember Leica is in business to make money not satisfy a bunch of binocular geeks like us.

Last edited:
..............Here are some pictures of the Retrovid and next to a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 for size comparison.

Dennis, you must have grabbed the wrong picture, A Zeiss Conquest x32 is no higher than the Retrovid x35. Just comparing specs.

Edit: Looks like this had already been cleared. Lots of noise for a so called joke. :-C

Last edited:
.................closest to the subject of observation. ............users of the Leica Trinovid 10 × 40 will always see more.

As long as things are not closer than 4 m. So what we get is quite a bit of advertising-bragging.

Last edited:
Henry. When I look through the front of the binocular I see no focusing lens moving nor do I see any reflections returning from the objective lens.

I'm not sure how you missed them, but there are always reflections returning from every glass surface. As Binastro mentioned a small light source shining into the front of the binocular from behind you is the best for counting the reflections. Photos of those reflections made at both close and infinity focus should tell us all we need to know about the objective design and the focusing method.

Henry

Last edited:
As long as things are not closer than 4 m. So what we get is quite a bit of advertising-bragging.

Hi Robert,

Things are worse than you thought. The close focus specs changed between 2017 and 2019. The 7x35 is 4 m, but the 8x40 and 10x40 are now 5.5 m. Maybe Dennis can measure the actual close focus of the 7x35 for his eyes.

Henry

Last edited:
I got the Retrovid 7x35 today and it is VERY nice. It is really high quality and the view looks about like my 7x42 HD Ultravid with a lot less weight and bulk. It is smaller than you would think but solid at 21 oz. The big advantage of the Retrovid's just like the original model is how slim they are. The FOV seems big and the edges are pretty sharp although not Swarovision sharp. Really, I think a7x35 makes more sense for all around use than a 7x42 at least in the daytime. The Retrovid is a great all purpose, travel and birding binocular. In low light it is brighter than an 8x32. They should bring back 7x35's. It really is a dynamite format being easy to hold steady and having great DOF. You really can ID birds as well with a 7x as you can with an 8x or even 10x. Here are some pictures of the Retrovid and next to a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 for size comparison.

YES!!!

But the bean-counters at Leica only have brought it out in leather.

We NEED a rubber armored version... then I'd be an owner!

I've been lobbying for a 7x32/35 for years. All things equal, it's simply a better binocular then an 8x32.

Last edited:
Did you get a Retrovid? That Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 is sure a nice looking binocular. The Retrovid 7x35 isn't much bigger than the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and yet it just kills it optically. A 25mm with a 3mm EP is no match for a 35mm with a 5mm EP. That is why the Retrovid is so nice. Small and compact but yet it has big aperture performance.

No pics were cross posted on the cloudynights forum. Can you post pics of the new Trinovid next to your Ultravid?

YES!!!

But the bean-counters at Leica only have brought it out in leather.

We NEED a rubber armored version... then I'd be an owner!

I've been lobbying for a 7x32/35 for years. All things equal, it's simply a better binocular then an 8x32.
If you get a Retrovid you GOT to have leather or it wouldn't be a Retrovid. The leather is very nice and it looks durable. It is lighter and slimmer than the rubber armor and man does it look sweet! The armor doesn't really cover the whole binocular anyway not even around the objective lenses. I think you are right that the 7x35 is a better binocular for birding than an 8x32. It has better DOF, you can hold it steadier so that increases the resolution and it has a 5mm exit pupil instead of a 4mm as in the 8x32 so it is going to be brighter in low light and have easier eye placement. If you really compare 7x and 8x you can't see much more detail or get ID's easier with 8x. Plus this new Trinovid is amazingly slim and nice in the hand. They come with a nice padded Leica Strap, a one piece rainguard that works good and the small leather case that the original Trinovids came with where the binocular strap goes through the top with a flap enclosure and no objective covers. I ordered the 42-44mm Opticron tethered objective covers from Amazon.com since the OD of the objectives are 42mm and I use a 42mm Zeiss Conquest HD case since I like to put the binocular strap in the case and I like a little more padding than the leather Leica case provides. I tried the 32mm Zeiss case but actually it was too short for the Retrovids with the eye cups extended and every time I put it in the case and closed the flap it pushed the eye cups down because the eye cups don't rotate to close but rather they just push in and out like the original Trinovids. The eye cups are nice sized at 33mm though and work better than those on many compacts which are usually smaller. The focuser is very smooth and has no slack. The diopter is just a simple dial on the objective end of the binocular and works well because you never touch it in it's location. The whole binocular is very high quality and it should be for $1425.00.

Last edited:
Hi Robert,

Things are worse than you thought. The close focus specs changed between 2017 and 2019. The 7x35 is 4 m, but the 8x40 and 10x40 are now 5.5 m. Maybe Dennis can measure the actual close focus of the 7x35 for his eyes.

Henry
I just measured the close focus for my eyes which are 20/20 on the Retrovid 7x35 at 3.0 m.

You're confusing me Dennis. Are the rubber versions not retro or are they too military looking? Never mind.

I will say they are a most attractive bin to me, leather or rubber. Their form and configuration (7x35 versions) are right in my wheelhouse.

Last edited:
Did you get a Retrovid? That Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 is sure a nice looking binocular. The Retrovid 7x35 isn't much bigger than the Zeiss Victory 8x25 and yet it just kills it optically. A 25mm with a 3mm EP is no match for a 35mm with a 5mm EP. That is why the Retrovid is so nice. Small and compact but yet it has big aperture performance.

Have to disagree with the above.
While I don't have a 7x35 Retrovid or intend to buy one, I can say that the Zeiss 8x25 which I do have is clearly much more compact as it just about folds in half and weighs very little. There's no comparison here and it's been greatly discussed regarding small binoculars vs true compacts. Secondly I find the Zeiss to view and handle excellently regardless of EP size and so on. I actually find it similar in viewing comfort to my Leica UV+ 7x42 whereby I find the '12-'15 Trinovid 8x42 much more comfortable by comparison.
I'm sure the Retrovid are nice but to be reasonable they are not a true compact nor waterproof with the main charm being their housing (not to mention the 7x35 form factor which may be appealing to some).

No pics were cross posted on the cloudynights forum. Can you post pics of the new Trinovid next to your Ultravid?
Here is a picture of the Leica Ultravid HD 7x42 next to the Retrovid 7x35. Although the height is not greatly different the Ultravids are bulkier and chunkier than the much slimmer Retrovid's. The Ultravid's weigh 28 oz. and the Retrovid's weigh 21 oz. for a weight comparison.

Attachments

• PC240001.jpg
    PC240001.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 116
.............. the eye cups don't rotate to close but rather they just push in and out like the original Trinovids………..

Have there ever been originals with eyecups that push in and out? I think they all came with foldable rubber eyecups (or else fixed ones earlier).

Last edited:
Just did a quick search to check availability. Found the rubber and silver leatherette version for AUD1800 and 1995 respectively. Not sure if they were ready to ship or back order but both AU sites and non Leica store. The Leica store has mention but no pricing, it'll be absurd when they do.

Looks like the site with the rubber version is backorder while the silver leatherette is available for purchase. That price however I could buy an SLC or (almost an) EDG and paid not much more for my UV+ (was a good deal). Then there's the MHG for 500 less.
I'm sure for many the value is there/justified though.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back