• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Printer suggestions,please. (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
We are needing a replacement printer,the HP 5552 is on its least legs.I have read every post re printers,on the forum,and there seem to be so many different conflicting opinions.But some of the threads are dating back to 2004-2005.One of the comments I noticed re the Epsom printers was that people were having to clean the heads and remove and soak ink pads etc,then download software to re start.Yet some folks are swearing that Epsom are just great.Canon also seems to be popular.
The printer we are using at the moment just uses 2 cartridges,Tricolour and Black/photo.This means that when the cartridge is changed the heads are fresh and new,as opposed to just changing an ink refill.
Just want something which produces top notch photos,needs no maintenance,apart from the self cleaning,and would really like to just stick to 2 cartridges,but do not think that will be poss.Would like an A3 ,but unless very reasonably priced will stick by A4.Not bothered about card readers etc.
On the prev links,Park Cameras was mentioned and they do seem to have some reductions.I have been onto all the major online electrical retailers,but very little choice.One I did have in mind is the HP 8750,is anyone else using this one.?But would prefer something a little lower in price.
Thanks ,Christine.
This quite important,as I take photos for our local Inshore Rescue charity,so I do need to give people a decent picture.

If no one has any personal recommendations,is there a preview site anywhere,where printers have been tested ? .I have looked on Photozone,but nothing there.

Hi Christine, I am on to my second Epson and would recommend them, bought my latest one Photo R200 (think its discontinued now) from Marco for about £50
It uses 6 seperate inks, I only use Epson, you can get the full set from PC world for about £40.
A4 printer but never felt the need for A3, it has always produced great results.
Hope this helps
PaulV

Christine, I use the Epson R800 (its A3 big brother is the R1800). Stunning quality with the UltraChrome Hi-Gloss pigment inks (prints will be lightfast for up to 80 years). This printer uses 8 different cartridges - downside is the cost of Epson originals at about £70-80 per set.

Quite a few people don't bother doing their own printing much, nowadays.

Especially if you've got a 'bulk order' - all your holiday snaps, for instance - it's worth costing out how cheaply you can get them done commercially. Obviously, the time needed to get to your nearest Boots/Jessops/etc., needs to be weighed against the time it takes your printer to rattle off 50 prints.

You also have to consider carefully how much it really costs per print from your home printer. Not always easy as many have to 'charge' the print heads each time you switch on so the amount 'wasted' has to be offset against the number of prints per session. Added to the cost of ink and paper is the initial cost of the printer which may well have a limited number of prints 'in it' before it throws up problems - the software you mentioned above, Christine, may be needed to get round a sort of 'self-destruct' feature built into the printer! But, a £150 printer which turns out, say, 300 A4 prints will add 50p to the cost of each of those prints to start with

If you are doing a LOT of printing,m then the Epson wins it hands down.

But if you only have the odd print, then the Canon iP series (I have the iP5000) do a fine job, with low running costs.

The other nice thing about this one is the user replaceable print head. Epson do not offer this, so if the print head gets fully and non cleanably clogged, the printer is dead (generally speaking). HP have the print head in the cartridge, but running costs are very high. The Canon fits in between, and suits me just fine.

I can print full A4 with shots straight from the Nikon at 3000x2000 pixels ! It also pints on CD/DVD body, so an added bonus. Price was about £150.

christineredgate said:
If no one has any personal recommendations,is there a preview site anywhere,where printers have been tested ? .I have looked on Photozone,but nothing there.
Christine I have just purchased a Canon pixma ip 4200 printer which I have found does the job I want it to.Against your criteria though it has 5 cartridges,part of the reason for me buying this is the low cost of replacement cartridges.As for quality I have no complaints,it is also quite.The vendor I bought it from was. www.oyyy.co.uk

POP

You might consider the Epson 1280, which is a wide-format (up to 13 inches) printer. It is an older model (a few years), but is still being made and is still very popular. The good thing about it is that you can get it for about $300, at least in the USA. Try finding another new wide-format printer for that price (e.g. the R1800, mentioned above, costs $550)

Christine
I also have the Canon 4200 and find it excellent, an additional feature is that it will print on DVD/CD's a picture or text of your choice.
Purchased from www.ebuyer.com who are very competetive.
Reg

Vincent at www.photo-i.co.uk does excellent reviews and you can ask him questions too.

I own an Epson 870 and have given up on it due to continual blockages requiring so many cleaning cycles that I have no ink left for printing.

Leif

Many thanks everyone.will sift through the options.I am still wary of purchasing an Epsom due to the fact that with some models once the heads are messed up,then the printer needs to be replaced.This HP 5552,we have used for around 5 yrs,(since the model was first introduced) and apart from a few tempermental bouts it has produced good images on a regular basis.So,if I cannot find another HP,looks as though it will be Canon,unless someone can swear that their Epsom model really will last.Albeit ,from the comments the cost of Epsom cartridges,seem to be more expensive that Canon,but then quality is important.
Many thanks for the info,I'll have a look around the given links and see what the reviews seem to be saying.

I have been through practically every review on the given links,and one thing which was mentioned,and had not occurred to me ,was the changing of inks.I did not realise that the inks were liquid and had to be transferred to their containers through small inlets(have only used HP printers) and it was mentioned that one did have to be careful not to squeeze the small refill too hard,or one would have the ink all over the carpet etc!!!.So,I guess I will have to stop with HP and the 8450 seems to have received quite good reviews

christineredgate said:
.I did not realise that the inks were liquid and had to be transferred to their containers through small inlets(have only used HP printers) and it was mentioned that one did have to be careful not to squeeze the small refill too hard,or one would have the ink all over the carpet
Christine, The bottles of ink you refer to is a cheap way of replacing ink for any type of printer inc HP (I would never use such ink myself). Also for any type of printer you can buy replacement cartridges.

Mnay thanks again for info and links.After 3 days of searching,I have eventually settled for the HP 8450.Although HP cartridges can be pricey,I don't print masses of photos,and it is so much easier just changing one cartridge.If it produces photos as good as the present HP 5552(which will just be used for basic document printing,until it finally expires)and it lasts as well,around 5yrs,and there have been lots of paper jams etc,then I will be quite happy,as this will be the last printer to be purchased.

I started out with a Lexmark, but changed to a HP printer (can't remember the model). The HP was awful - print quality was good, but cost of cartridges was just stupid! A software fault within the printer was a problem which, despite advice from HP help desk, I couldn't fix. Considered Canon and Epsom after that, and ended up with the Canon iP4200. What a great printer! Build quality is superb, ink is reasonably cheap, quality is great (for the price) and the printer is so quiet compared to previous ones. I also like the way i can have 6x4 paper loaded in the bottom tray and Use the top tray for A4. So easy.

Well, I just have to say here that I cringe at the idea of buying any HP peripherals - printers, scanners, etc. Their driver software is awful - witness the above posting saying he couldn't get the printer to work - gee, why am I not surprised? This is quite common with HPs. I've had it happen to me earlier with HP printers, and their scanner software (we have one at work) drives me crazy (crashes, hard to use options, etc). Just terrible. Stay away!!

Last edited:
christineredgate said:
I have been through practically every review on the given links,and one thing which was mentioned,and had not occurred to me ,was the changing of inks.I did not realise that the inks were liquid and had to be transferred to their containers through small inlets(have only used HP printers) and it was mentioned that one did have to be careful not to squeeze the small refill too hard,or one would have the ink all over the carpet etc!!!.So,I guess I will have to stop with HP and the 8450 seems to have received quite good reviews

HP Photosmart 8450 is still on the PC Pro A list, reading the reviews the only downside are speed and size, so i think you've made a good choice.

RAH said:
Well, I just have to say here that I cringe at the idea of buying any HP peripherals - printers, scanners, etc. Their driver software is awful - witness the above posting saying he couldn't get the printer to work - gee, why am I not surprised? This is quite common with HPs. I've had it happen to me earlier with HP printers, and their scanner software (we have one at work) drives me crazy (crashes, hard to use options, etc). Just terrible. Stay away!!
Rah,sorry to hear you had problems with your HP products.I think there are probs with all makes.Reading prev threads,some people have had mega probs with Epsom due to clogged heads etc.We have had 2 HP printers.Main probs we used to have with the present one,was that when the pc guy installed our new hard drive,he forgot to connect the motherboard(whatever that may be !!!) and we had probs with all hardware.I could not get a card reader to work.The guy we use now,installed everything correctly,and even when there was a massive paper jam,the printer still worked.
The quality from the HP is quite good.Yes ,the cartridges may be pricey ,as opposed to separate ink bottles,but when you replace the cartridge,then a new print head is in situ.If one is going to be printing lots of shots each day,then yes would not be economical,but my average,is may be 15 per month.It depends on how good my bird shots are,I just print a couple of the best,and then the stuff we do for friends and my small token for the Inshore Rescue.
So hopefully will all not be doom and gloom,and once this printer has arrived ,will post a good report.

The Epson R220 has the print heads inside the ink cartridges.
I haven't had this printer for long (only about a week) but from what i have done with it so far it works great for me. It cost around $70 (no clue as to UK$) at one of the local stores. A plus though is that it will print directly onto CD/DVD printable discs.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back