• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (1 Viewer)

9m more fov (and 100g heavier) than the Zeiss FL 7x42 you and I both use Lieven, seems a prohibitively high price to pay for such an incremental improvement!

I'm sure these are fine (if very ugly) optics, but I can't see a real world application where they will make a difference over previous wide angle models? I'm sure somebody will say something about blurred edges, but most birders (I know and would rate as knowledgeable) look at the centre of the image and not the around the edge.

One for the all the gear and no idea brigade... or if you are feeling less harsh, knowledgeable birders with deep pockets ;)

Have you used an EL SV for ten years so you know what it's all about?

Guessing not.

Well, there were plenty of wideangle binoculars in years past, some with even wider angles than this bunch, so I doubt anything will be "copyrighted".

Hermann

But Herman, on the Swarovski website it tells us NL has:

"The largest-ever field of view with almost indiscernible edges"

So perhaps those earlier binos with even wider fields of view had 'discernable edges'.

Lee

I wonder if that video was thrown together post haste to head off a leak or something ?
It is p-a-i-n-f-u-l to watch ...... worse than an episode of the Kardashians or something ! :eek!:

Chosun :gh:

9m more fov (and 100g heavier) than the Zeiss FL 7x42 you and I both use Lieven, seems a prohibitively high price to pay for such an incremental improvement!

I'm sure these are fine (if very ugly) optics, but I can't see a real world application where they will make a difference over previous wide angle models? I'm sure somebody will say something about blurred edges, but most birders (I know and would rate as knowledgeable) look at the centre of the image and not the around the edge.

One for the all the gear and no idea brigade... or if you are feeling less harsh, knowledgeable birders with deep pockets ;)

don't be so rude! ;)

Suppose you are a very enthusiastic young (or old) birder having saved enough money to finally buy that Swarovision / Noctivid / SF you know you'll be using for the next 10-15 years, and this one comes out...
First of all you'll need to save some more but anyone shopping for the very best has one more contender to consider, and I think that's a good thing!

I have the 7x42 T*FL and indeed I don't see much benefit compared to that 8x42 NL (even though it already has a wider FOV with birds a bit closer, so that is an upgrade!). But if I ever buy another binocular, it will probably be a 10x42 with lots of eye relief, a wide FOV, a snappy, quick focuser and good ergonomics. I feel this Swaro finally ticks most of the boxes, and if it didn't exist, I would probably be only considering the 10x42 SF. Now there is a bit more choice. I actually have been thinking about buying a new pair of binoculars for some time, not because the 7x42 T*FL is letting me down, but because the longer I have them, the less I would be willing to risk them getting lost / broken / stolen during one of my travels. At least if I have another pair, I have 50% less chance (but 50% of having a very expensive SF or NL stollen / lost or broken :smoke: ).

Happily, I can also just not buy any binocular at the moment as I have better ways of spending / investing my money! And my 7x42 T*FL cost me around 1100 euro back in the days... You can buy 2.5 of those for one of the new Swaro NLs! Expensive views so they'll better be good! :king:

I can't wait to get my hands on a pair of 10x42's.
However, to buy them outright I'll have to sell both my current 10x42 SV's and my 8x32 SV's...

I think a binocular over 2.5 K is a bit much... I mean, that's more than I paid for my car ����

Cheers
Tim

Why are you making fun of this poor luxury company? It says right there on their site that the forehead rest is cushioned with recycled ostrich leather, and that healthchecked young ladies or young men from “RotLicht”, a personal service enterprise in Amsterdam NL will home-deliver, and ensure customer satisfaction.

Edmund

:-O

For those BF members who also hunt with a rifle (there must a few lurking in the shadows of an inconstant moon) the forehead support feature is rather cool as it could be modified to accept a small padded V to accommodate the rifle's forend for those cross-canyon shots from the prone position

LGM

Huge Swaro fan here. Predicting that the well-healed and "gotta have the latest and greatest" guy/gal will probably get one. I find the price and the head rest contraption to be a joke. I've used one on the BTX spotting scope system. Looks good upon first glance, but a great way to introduce unsteadiness to your glass.

No pun intended but that was painful viewing.

I wonder who will offer aftermarket disposable headrest pads of the peel & stick variety? That or a suitably proportioned peice of leather glued to the plastic to improve user comfort.

LGM
Swarovski is saying the headrest pad is as efficient as the IS system on the Canon's! Wow!:-O

Two things...

I too find it interesting that soap and brush are included as an accessory.

Second....the cost. Yes, a bit prohibitive for many. But look at the scope line they came out with. They kept the ATS line for us 'poor folks' at only $3000 US dollars w/o the $1500 tripod :) .... but also have the ATX line that runs up to $4500 US dollars w/o that same $1500 Tripod.

Now...I have seen plenty of those set-ups in the field so know someone has the $....and can assume someone will have the $'s for this very minimal cost of a binocular.

Huge Swaro fan here. Predicting that the well-healed and "gotta have the latest and greatest" guy/gal will probably get one. I find the price and the head rest contraption to be a joke. I've used one on the BTX spotting scope system. Looks good upon first glance, but a great way to introduce unsteadiness to your glass.

JG if it is 'a great way to introduce unsteadiness to your glass', I suggest you take your bourbon straight from the bottle.

Lee

A few details buried in text and the downloadable PDF spec sheet stood out to me.

Firstly, SWAROCLEAN is conspicuously absent from the list of NL Pure coatings. Could that explain the 1% increase in light transmission compared to the SV? The number of optical elements (12 per side) hasn't changed, but we will need to see a cutaway to determine how different the optical design might be from the SV.

The 8x42 spec for AFOV (presumably measured) is about 5% lower than the simple calculation of true angular FOV multiplied by magnification, which is nearly identical to the difference seen in the 8.5x42 SV AFOV spec. While that could be explained simply by low pincushion distortion it seems more likely that it means there is a mustache distortion profile in the NL similar to the SV with a similar amount of angular magnification distortion near the field edge.

Finally, there is a discrepancy between the eye relief spec of 18mm given in the spec sheet and 20mm given in the text description. I expect 18mm is more likely correct.

As always there is plenty more to know about the performance of the NL Pure beyond its specs, such as chromatic aberration (longitudinal and lateral) and spherical aberration levels, glare resistance, etc. before it can be said to be an improvement over the SV.

Two things...

Second....the cost. Yes, a bit prohibitive for many. But look at the scope line they came out with. They kept the ATS line for us 'poor folks' at only $3000 US dollars w/o the $1500 tripod :) .... but also have the ATX line that runs up to $4500 US dollars w/o that same $1500 Tripod.

Now...I have seen plenty of those set-ups in the field so know someone has the $....and can assume someone will have the $'s for this very minimal cost of a binocular.

I have that ATX 95MM Combo with the tripod so this will blend right in with the new BINS..:)

02AEAA09-9D59-48C0-A3B4-FE02DD75AE69.jpeg

I do not believe that the forehead rest will solve the issue of shaking hands in the prolonged watching periods (e.g. seabird migration). The only way to cope with this issue is to use a finnstick / monopod. I hope that the new NL Pure has a threaded insert in the front of the focusing knob where you can attach a tripod mount securely (to use with a monopod) as you can in the SLC series.
It will help though especially on the 12x. The 12x42 seem's really interesting.

Two things...

When I go up to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming EVERYBODY has Swaro spotter's. You don't see one that isn't. It is amazing at their cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back