• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new swarovski EL32 (1 Viewer)

Hi Tom,

The bin still functions as it should be, only a mouse, or something like that, enjoyed the rubber eyecup and the rubber armoring seems to have given life to several forms of agriculture activities and does need to be replaced.
It wouldn't surprise me if the bin is transformed into a biological weapon and it that case the dismantling of it may cost a fortune, otherwise......
Nehh, no worries you own a Swarovski.

Jan
Do you remember the story about the guy whose dog chewed the armor of his SV binos? Swaro replaced the armor for free, fixed a few other things and sent him a like-new pair of binos along with....a chew toy for his dog. That was a story which was amply exploited by Swaro Marketing dept---it definitely cost them much less than an ad in a newspaper and potentially had a larger impact. If some Swaro people read the story in this thread, I am sure that they will be interested in its potential.

A nice story and great that the binos will find their way back to the owner. If only the binos could speak and tell us what encounters they have had.

Lee

Jan: you did not say if my guess about the age of the binos was accurate (just check their SN)////Peter
Sorry mate, missed that detail.
## is F8210...... so its from week 10 in 2012.
The original dealer is a bird/animal rescue foundation/center who kept records of their sales.
Jan

Ehhh binos?????
The other ones were just for the show.

Jan
Of course they were, but common usage is "binoculars" (binos) even when one speaks about one unit. (pants, glasses, scissors etc). According to Webster:
"Binocular: a handheld optical instrument composed of two telescopes and a focusing device and usually having prisms to increase magnifying ability—usually used in plural". While "binocular" is the adjectival form and not really the noun form, in my opinion using "binocular" when one speaks about a single unit is totally acceptable, and this is what I am going to use from now on in the discussions on the BF.

Last edited:
I'm never sure whether to say "it" or "them", but "it" feels more nearly correct to me.

"Binoculars" even though it is common usage, seems to imply more than one instrument, but in everyday speech "binocular" sounds odd.

I'm never sure whether to say "it" or "them", but "it" feels more nearly correct to me.

"Binoculars" even though it is common usage, seems to imply more than one instrument, but in everyday speech "binocular" sounds odd.
You are absolutely right. The name 'binocular' might be anatomically correct, there being two oculars side-by-side, hence the prefix 'bi' meaning two, but it does cause some headaches in everyday speech in trying to decide whether to talk in the plural or the singular.

Lee

Wouldn't a full and proper term for these things be "binocular glasses"? I mean, we have binocular (stereoscopic) vision, right? so, "binocular" is an adjective, not a device. Then, it could be argued, and like "eyeglasses," the lenses are what are plural, even though the object as a whole is singular. Then, by some kind of curious linguistic tradition the plurality of the lenses from the full name is carried into the shortened term, "Binoculars"? I'm just guessing here...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back