• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New tern raft (2 Viewers)

greer3

United Kingdom

News of a new tern raft in Lancashire from the Lancaster and Fylde birdwatching societies involved with this project in conjunction with the RSPB. I'm not familiar with this area but I think I'm right in saying it suffers from some disturbance from leisure activities, so any additional help for birds is welcome. The RSPB intervention at their Hodbarrow reserve paid big dividends for breeding terns.
Every little bit helps

Last edited:
Great idea; it looks a bit unusual though. What they did in Warsaw when they wanted to create habitat for terns, gulls and waders on the main river flowing through it was build an actual sandy island inaccessible from the bank and an adjacent sandbar to make it look like it's natural (apparently all constructed by a British company). Although, from what I'm reading, they had erected some similar structures to those pictured above, before.

Great idea; it looks a bit unusual though. What they did in Warsaw when they wanted to create habitat for terns, gulls and waders on the main river flowing through it was build an actual sandy island inaccessible from the bank and an adjacent sandbar to make it look like it's natural (apparently all constructed by a British company). Although, from what I'm reading, they had erected some similar structures to those pictured above, before.
Are you aware of the work the RSPB did at their Hodbarrow reserve to help the terns? I'm a bit out of touch but the last reports I read showed a marked improvement in the breeding success.

No, unfortunately not, but I'm glad it worked. I think such structures have been constructed on the Vistula in Warsaw previously as well, only the sandy island was a seperate, much bigger project.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back