• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss binos 8x40 SFL and 10x40 SFL (2 Viewers)

I am not familiar with retailing in the States but haven't they added Sales Tax to the list price and are offering to 'pay the tax' for the customer?

Lee
No, they can’t do that. Sales tax isn’t the same for all States and must be separated on the invoice.

Edit: I just researched this online some states can include sales tax in the product price however they need to state that tax is included in the price. My state does not allow this; sales tax is separate. Sport Optics is stating they’re paying the tax and can’t also build it into the product price. I’ve seen this type of promo from them before and those bins were always competitively priced; the product price wasn’t inflated.

Last edited:
That will be the standard retail price in the US. I always thought it was optimistic to expect the USD price to be the same as the GBP price.

No, they can’t do that. Sales tax isn’t the same for all States and must be separated on the invoice.

Edit: I just researched this online some states can include sales tax in the product price however they need to state that tax is included in the price. My state does not allow this; sales tax is separate. Sport Optics is stating they’re paying the tax and can’t also build it into the product price. I’ve seen this type of promo from them before and those bins were always competitively priced; the product price wasn’t inflated.
Thanks GiGi.

Lee

That will be the standard retail price in the US. I always thought it was optimistic to expect the USD price to be the same as the GBP price.
At $1800 way to close to SF prices. I paid (shopping around) $1800 and change for my 8x32SF, not long again and retail prices haven’t changed from what I see. These SFLs would need to be in the same optical quality category of the SF, EL, FL, to garner that price point. Can’t be a conquest upgrade in a modified SF body. IMHO.

Paul

It’s does appear they are not adding in the sales tax amount, as other venders (in US) are now starting to show the same price for the SFLs for $1799.00. Wow!

Paul

At $1800 way to close to SF prices. I paid (shopping around) $1800 and change for my 8x32SF, not long again and retail prices haven’t changed from what I see. These SFLs would need to be in the same optical quality category of the SF, EL, FL, to garner that price point. Can’t be a conquest upgrade in a modified SF body. IMHO.

Paul
I paid $1700 for my (new) SF 10x42 a few years back (on a special) and $2000 for my SF 10x32 18 months ago. I think the timing is unfortunate given the recent surge in inflation, and shopping around, you will be able to get the SFL for a bit less, at least once the initial rush dies down. But yes, at that price, the optics are going to have to be really good. It's a bold move to launch a close-to-$2000 binocular as an outsourced product without their best glass.

Rating/score for CA control
Column one:
Binoculars Today (by Pinac)
No. of stars. 1 star: Good. 2 stars: Very Good.
Column two:
AllBinos
Score out of 10.
(Hyphen denotes not tested.)
Here's hoping the SFLs will be 2 and 9!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 50
Sport Optics lists the SF 8x42 for $2,699 which is $900 more than the new SFL 8x40.

If I was looking to buy a top quality binocular I would easily choose SFL 40 over the SF 42. It's lighter, smaller and cheaper.
Some people will want the very best though and will spend the extra 900 bucks.

I think the SFL has potential to sell very well for Zeiss over time. I trust the optics will be very good.
Hopefully, prices will come down a little in the near future.

I would assume the main competition would be with the top-line 32mm models (SF 32s are about $500 more) and with other lightweight Japan-made 42mm models that are about $800 less. I.e. it will have to show enough of a step up in optics to be worth spending the extra money over things like the Nikon MHG and higher-end Opticrons, which only weigh 2-3oz more.

At the end of the day, I guess it will come down to whether it really lives up to Zeiss' billing as a lightweight high-end binocular, or ends up being more of a good mid-range binocular.

Last edited:
Sport Optics lists the SF 8x42 for $2,699 which is $900 more than the new SFL 8x40.

If I was looking to buy a top quality binocular I would easily choose SFL 40 over the SF 42. It's lighter, smaller and cheaper.
Some people will want the very best though and will spend the extra 900 bucks.

I think the SFL has potential to sell very well for Zeiss over time. I trust the optics will be very good.
Hopefully, prices will come down a little in the near future.
I agree the prices will come down a bit after the hoopla is over, that will probably be a while IMO.
As far as $900 difference, I’m not to sure. The higher priced binoculars can have a larger discount, so that difference when discounts are applied may not be so wide. People are getting deals on SFs for $2000, why spend $1600-$1800 for anything less.

I still think very few people are going to spend $1700 (with discount) or a little less if it’s conquest level optics Just because it’s a 40mm. At that price it has to be a full blown Alpha.

Just my thoughts.

The ‘model’ is Debby Doodeman, one of Hollands best female birders, who also happens to be my girlfriend 😃. We were invited as ZEISS ambassadors to the photoshoot last year. I will pass on your compliments to her.

Cheers
James
So James, does this mean that both you and your girlfriend have actual hands on experience with the prototype(?) of the SFL ??
She at least holds them in her hands..

Can u tell us something more?

Grtz

So James, does this mean that both you and your girlfriend have actual hands on experience with the prototype(?) of the SFL ??
She at least holds them in her hands..

Can u tell us something more?

Grtz
It does indeed, during the photoshoot we were using one of the first models, and last Monday we were also invited to a ZEISS open day where some of the optics retailers in the Low Countries got to try them for the first time. I currently use the 8x42 SF, before that I had HTs and before that FLs.
I think it’s fair to say that these aren’t a replacement for the conquests, they are a top end binocular comparable with the ELs and Ultravids. I tried both the 8s and 10s, and both were excellent. The image is superb (it’s worth mentioning that before I became an ambassador for ZEISS I already used the SFs) and weight and close focus both impressive. The focus wheel is slightly stiffer than the SFs. We will soon be getting a pair to road test properly but my first impression is I wouldn’t swap my SFs for them, and that’s not what ZEISS are aiming for, but it’s a close thing. If I were buying a new pair then that extra price difference is very tempting. Debby uses the 8x32 SFs and is tempted to swap for the SFL 8x. Another ambassador uses the 10x42 SF and said he would be happy to exchange for SFL 10x.
Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers
James

I envy US buyers….SFs in Canada are pushing $4000 CAD after tax….a price I’ll likely never bite at…

Looks like the SFLs will come in at the high $2000s here, they would have to be really good to be tempting.

It does indeed, during the photoshoot we were using one of the first models, and last Monday we were also invited to a ZEISS open day where some of the optics retailers in the Low Countries got to try them for the first time. I currently use the 8x42 SF, before that I had HTs and before that FLs.
I think it’s fair to say that these aren’t a replacement for the conquests, they are a top end binocular comparable with the ELs and Ultravids. I tried both the 8s and 10s, and both were excellent. The image is superb (it’s worth mentioning that before I became an ambassador for ZEISS I already used the SFs) and weight and close focus both impressive. The focus wheel is slightly stiffer than the SFs. We will soon be getting a pair to road test properly but my first impression is I wouldn’t swap my SFs for them, and that’s not what ZEISS are aiming for, but it’s a close thing. If I were buying a new pair then that extra price difference is very tempting. Debby uses the 8x32 SFs and is tempted to swap for the SFL 8x. Another ambassador uses the 10x42 SF and said he would be happy to exchange for SFL 10x.
Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers
James
Like ELs and Ultravids, now we’re talking. Although those two examples are far apart in image Philosophy, at least that gives us an indication of the optical quality level of the new Zeiss.

Ill take one of each please 🙃. Or maybe I’ll just take one and wait for Dennis to sell his 😄. Just kidding Dennis.

Thank you.

Paul

Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers
James
Look forward to hearing more when you get the road-test pair. I'd be interested to hear about differences from the SF in terms of CA. I see the SF and NL as really being at the top end in terms of controlling CA (to which I'm quite sensitive). My concern would be that the SFL may be a significant step down, as they're no longer using the Fl-glass.

For reference, I'd see UVs as a step down on CA control. I have looked through ELs in the past, but I don't remember clearly if there's much of a difference between them and SFs on CA.

Look forward to hearing more when you get the road-test pair. I'd be interested to hear about differences from the SF in terms of CA. I see the SF and NL as really being at the top end in terms of controlling CA (to which I'm quite sensitive). My concern would be that the SFL may be a significant step down, as they're no longer using the Fl-glass.

For reference, I'd see UVs as a step down on CA control. I have looked through ELs in the past, but I don't remember clearly if there's much of a difference between them and SFs on CA.

As for CA ratings, check out Allbinos, I find them pretty accurate, but there might be some subjective elements there.

1 Zeiss FL 8x42 - 9.3
2 Swaro NL pure 10x42 - 8.3
3 Zeiss 8x42 SF - 8
4 Swaro EL SV 8.5x42 - 7.2
5 Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 - 6.6

Personally I find the bins from 1-4 above, acceptable in CA, but the Conquests are not.

Hopefully the SFL:s will be better than the Conquests on CA but for optimal CA control you probably need some kind of FL-glass.

Just FYI, I’ve used the HD 8x32 for years and it’s CA control is excellent, and I’m very CA averse. That said, the HD 15x56 has CA in plentiful supply so it may be mag / aperture related.

Last edited:
I envy US buyers….SFs in Canada are pushing $4000 CAD after tax….a price I’ll likely never bite at…

Looks like the SFLs will come in at the high $2000s here, they would have to be really good to be tempting.
Whats up with that?
I can buy a camera in Vancouver and it’ll be close enough to the US price after the exchange that I don’t mind paying a wee bit more to help out a local retailer. Try buying a binocular in Vancouver and wowza, big difference in price!
I contemplated buying my SF in Canada but the best Canadian retail price was not even close to what I ended up getting it for from the states.

Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers
James

James, curious: is the color rendition different than your SFs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back