• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss binos 8x40 SFL and 10x40 SFL (1 Viewer)

The UHD concept, that is why I love these announcements - for their weird humor.
I would consider the way the balance of SF 42s is engineered an arguably new concept or idea (Begriff?). But when the entire marketing campaign is formulated in that language, it sounds ridiculous. "We just invented lens coatings"? Perhaps they imagine an audience of rich but completely ignorant buyers?

I'm maybe restating the same thing again, I just find the "designed by" thing to indicate something is missing rather than something is gained.
Indeed... if Conquests or Terras don't even say "Designed by Zeiss", does this now imply that they aren't?

Last edited:
My wife’s Terras do indeed say designed by Zeiss on the focus knob. The Conquests say made in Germany as that’s what Zeiss insists.

Another forum says these SFLs are stamped made in Japan, so sounds like another conquest type arrangement, without some final subassembly occurring in German. I’d prefer that Zeiss made everything in-house but I’m fine with it, based on my excellent experience with my indestructible conquest.

My wife’s Terras do indeed say designed by Zeiss on the focus knob. The Conquests say made in Germany as that’s what Zeiss insists.

Another forum says these SFLs are stamped made in Japan, so sounds like another conquest type arrangement, without some final subassembly occurring in German. I’d prefer that Zeiss made everything in-house but I’m fine with it, based on my excellent experience with my indestructible conquest.
Couldn't agree more. I've had my Conquest 8x32 for 8 years now and it is still a favourite of mine.

Lee

For me, the 1.5 m close focus distance is very attractive. Besides birds I'm also into butterflies and Odonata and there are only a few top bins that work both for bugs and birds. Currently I use an old Vortex Viper HD 8x32 and for a while I've been thinking about upgrading this to either a Conquest 8x32 (1.5 m cfd) or a Trinovid 8x32 HD (1 m cfd). It seems that my procrastination has paid off by presenting me with a third option.

Wim

Google can’t translate this…appears to be a brief field test, maybe someone here can take a crack.

Apparently Google can translate :)

THE NEW ZEISS SFL 40 HAND-HINKED ON APRIL 1, 2022. Posted on April 1, 2022 by Hkn

For me, it's almost like Christmas Eve when I've had the opportunity to test a new pair of binoculars from Zeiss. Over the last few years, Zeiss in Birkerød has allowed me to try and test their latest products (Victory SF 10 x 42 and 8 x 32 as well as Victory Harpia 95). So when they asked about a month ago if I wanted to test their new SFL 8 x 40 coming on the market on March 31, 2022, I was of course ready. When you have tested the 2 Victory models 10 x 42 and 8 x 32, you have high expectations for a new model, so I was excited about what the new SFL 8 x 40 could offer. (also comes as a 10 x 40).

The new Zeiss SFL 8 x 40. Is a very beautiful binoculars and which has some of the best optics I have experienced in a long time. True to form, I always pay close attention to the following 4 points when testing binoculars; 1. ergonomics, 2. field of view, 3. near distance and 4. weight. Unlike the top model Victory SF 8 x 42, the SFL 8 x 40 is a more compact binoculars, but with the same perfect balance as the SF, I must admit I was very enthusiastic about the ergonomics. It was also super cool that it came with the same wide focusing wheel as with the SF model, which allows you to set sharp lightning fast even if you have gloves on. On top of that, it weighs only 640 grams, which means you can carry it with you all day without getting tired in the neck or arms. In general, you get the impression of a very strong and robust binoculars.

The field of view was outstanding, in SFL 8 x 42 which I tested it was 140 m / 1000. As a spectacle wearer, I consider the field of vision a very important part when choosing new binoculars, and I am sure many will be very excited when they try this new model from Zeiss. The close range is as low as 1.5 m, which is perfect for both birds and insects.

As always, you can count on binoculars from Zeiss being incredibly sharp and here, of course, I was not disappointed. The contrast was some of the best I have experienced in binoculars, in fact my experience was that there was more contrast in SFL than in Victory SF. This contrast I greatly enjoyed when I read ringed birds in the field. It is a little more saturated and warm in color than Victory SF, but like this gives a true experience of the colors of reality. Zeiss Victory 8 x 42 and SFL 8 x 40. Both binoculars are fantastic and that, although you now have several options to choose from. If you are going out and have a new pair of binoculars, I can warmly recommend the new SFL 8 x 42, it has it all. So look to get to the nearest dealer and try this new Zeiss. The ergonomics and weight were perfect for long days in the field, I never got tired in the arms or neck.

I’m not sure why my version refused lol, but a big thank you AB!

Pretty light review but at least gives us some general impressions…all sounds excellent apart from the reported “warm” colour, hopefully realistically so.

Something else I’d be interested in will be veiling glare control. What gives my HT its wonderfully clean image, IMO, is the lack of veiling glare that can rob an image of contrast. My otherwise excellent Conquest does suffer from a bit of this, giving a slightly unsaturated view.

I also like the fact these have the simple diopter approach like the Conquest HDs...infinitely variable, no clicks, no push out/in which can result in an accidental move - I like to mess with diopter with both eyes open...

Last edited:
Echo many of your thoughts overall. I am looking forward to trying these out in 10x40 and particularly interested in how these compare to both the 10x32 & 10x42 SF's.

I also don't care where they are made as long as they are up to Zeiss's usual outstanding build quality. I have owned the Conquest HD and multiple Victory's (including a few SF's) and have loved them all. Considered swapping the SF for an NL but save for the slightly better FOV on the NL, I find them very close optically and at the end of the day I simply can't part with the buttery smooth focuser on the SF!

Also hoping these are closer to the SF than the Conquest in terms of optics (particularly with regards to things like light transmission and handling of CA). In the brochure they have been placed close to the top and almost seem to be included as part of the Victory family in Zeiss's binocular hierarchy.

Hi there,

maybe it would have made sense if Zeiss had also indicated the country of manufacture on the binoculars, just to avoid endless speculation.

It's definitely not "Made in Germany", but "Made in Japan" also has a good name and the buyer would not have to guess.

By the way, I'm also a SF "green sufferer" but still like the binocular.

Andreas
My guess is that they may indicate "Made in Japan" somewhere on the box? Made in Japan would be fine by me. (Would not be very happy with Made in China - even if the quality was comparable to MIJ.)

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. I've had my Conquest 8x32 for 8 years now and it is still a favourite of mine.

Lee
Indeed.... my Conquest HDs (which I've had for 8 years, as well) are simply fantastic bins. I very happily use them interchangeably with my SFs and Ultravid HD+ models.

My expectation is that the new SFL will be like an even better Conquest HD - quite wonderful.

Last edited:
My guess is that they may indicate "Made in Japan" somewhere on the box?
Or maybe it will be discreetly tucked away under the hinge. I believe in the US the country of origin (at least as defined by law) has to appear somewhere on the binocular itself.

Last edited:
Or maybe it will be discreetly tucked away under the bridge. I believe in the US the country of origin (at least as defined by law) has to appear somewhere on the binocular itself.
Oh... I wasn't aware of that... I thought as long as it was on the box, it would be acceptable - I stand corrected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back