• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Next first for Britain??? (1 Viewer)

Brendan Doe

After last years 3 new 1st's for GB i wondered what peoples guesses were for the next bird to fall? The Audouins gull was maybe predictable in some way (yes i know birding isn't predictable and thats why we love it but you know what i mean :h?: ) The Black Lark certainly not, but what are birders guesses? Is there anything obvious missing from The British List that has got to fall sometime soon?

And taking things down to the next level is there anything in your county that you would think must drop in sooner or later? Certainly in Lothian we are missing birds such as Melodius Warbler, Ross's Gull, RB Goose and RF Bluetail- with the 2nd record for neighbouring Fife falling this autumn this is a bird i would love to see in Lothian and might be "expected" in the next few years.

Interested to hear from you all. Cheers, Brendan

I'm probably going to embarrass myself here but who cares?
What about Black Woodpecker? Surely one must find it's way over the channel one day? Unless of course they already have & no-one's told me!

SimonC said:
I'm probably going to embarrass myself here but who cares?
What about Black Woodpecker? Surely one must find it's way over the channel one day? Unless of course they already have & no-one's told me!
Give me a shout, when you get one, Simon!!!

Hi Birdman

i can't open that thread but i'm assuming this question isn't anything new to this forum??

I'll chuck in my two penneths worth anyway - how about a yankee warbler such as Palm Warbler?? Or perhaps one of the Flyctachers that turned up in Iceland this year(was it Least, Alder or both?)

As it's a first for Britain, I'm tempted to say Griffon Vulture. Okay there was one in Ireland in 1843 but any new arrivals are certainly going to seem like a first for Britain. Or maybe a 'legitimate' Booted Eagle.

By the way Brendan, that's a nice avatar you have there. Care to tell us about it?

Brendan Doe said:
I'll chuck in my two penneths worth anyway - how about a yankee warbler such as Palm Warbler?? Or perhaps one of the Flyctachers that turned up in Iceland this year(was it Least, Alder or both?)

It was both, and you Brits keep your grubby little hands off our rarities! :)

I'm not quite up to speed on what obvious birds are missing from the British list but Fifebirder's Griffon Vulture sounds good to me. There was a flock of 18 in the Netherlands in 2001 .

Here in Iceland the first new bird on the Iceland will be...White-billed Diver, or Mediterranean Gull. (Last year it was Stock Dove!)

By the way, Brendan, don't worry about starting threads which may have already occurred some time. It happens a lot and the threads don't always turn out the same.

E

Bluetail said:
Mugimaki Flycatcher ;)

Or, alternatively... oh, let's push the boat out... Red-winged Blackbird.

Jason
I think if you want a Red-winged Blackbird, you would have more chance if you 'pulled the boat in' rather than 'pushed the boat out'.............:'D

Hi Fife birder

It is a digiscope of a desert wheatear i took in your neck of the woods- Fife( Why do i get the feeling you knew that already ;) If my recollection is correct it was found by someone at St Andrews Uni (or was that the RFBluetail?) any how i do believe your goodself was the finder of one of these beauties?

Care to fill is in Fifebirder?

What about those of you that keep county lists- are there any obvious birds that haven't turned up in your respective counties that surely have to at somepoint soon?

Brendan Doe said:
What about those of you that keep county lists- are there any obvious birds that haven't turned up in your respective counties that surely have to at somepoint soon?
Cumbria has had Greater Yellowlegs, but I am fairly sure Lesser Yellowlegs is still missing from the county list! This has got to be high on the 'potential' list!
Great White Egret was only added to the county list in 2003!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back