• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Next first for Britain??? (1 Viewer)

Bluetail said:
Nah, I was just in wind-up mode as usual! I did hear some rumour that they're reconsidering, but I daresay it's just that - a rumour. Even so, I wouldn't mind betting that they will look at it again sooner or later. Unfortunately I won't get anything out of it since I didn't see it.

Jason
I think they've reviewed it twice already. It's still on my list though.

Mark

I'm not a twitcher but I would go anywhere in U.K. if a Black shouldered Kite turned up, as Mark suggested.
There is a report from Ireland back in the 1850's(T.a. Coward's Birds of Britian) ,but I wouldn't believe it.
I'll put money on Griffon Vulture in U.K. this year.

M N Reeder said:
I think they've reviewed it twice already. It's still on my list though.

Mark

Think that's right Mark

don't reckon it's got much chance.....they don't have much of a record at all of vagrancy and are kept in cages.

seen a few but not the one in U.K. Mark you lucky devil...I was there waiting the next morning though having driven down past the site the previous day when it was there (it was a filthy foggy day as i recall)....before anyone of me or my mates had a pager :C

Tim Allwood said:
Think that's right Mark

don't reckon it's got much chance.....they don't have much of a record at all of vagrancy and are kept in cages.

seen a few but not the one in U.K. Mark you lucky devil...I was there waiting the next morning though having driven down past the site the previous day when it was there (it was a filthy foggy day as i recall)....before anyone of me or my mates had a pager :C

It was a very filthy day Tim. The only reason that I found out about it was because I phoned Birdline as I passed the phone on-route to the toilet ;)

By the way at least 1 well known twitcher and magazine editor, from your neck of the woods made it there.

Mark

I heard that too

I also think one other well-known editor didn't as they got out of the car near hunstanton due to the erratic driving....don't know how true this is?

Tim Allwood said:
I heard that too

I also think one other well-known editor didn't as they got out of the car near hunstanton due to the erratic driving....don't know how true this is?

Yes we heard that up here. So perhaps there is some truth in it.

Mark

I predict no new birds this year. I mean come on - after 2003?
Instead I predict the confused people in charge will upgrade Brown & Mugimaki Fly, White Headed Duck (how can they not after September/Octobers obvious influx) and Caspian and Yellow Legged will finally get on the list as proper birds.
Maybe...

Birdwatch magazine ran a competition some years ago for readers to name the next British bird, but as far as I can remember you had to choose from a list they suggested. As far as I know, they've never announced a winner. Is Dominic Mitchell a member? He'll know!

(I opted for warbling vireo, which I still think is a good contender!)

In from another thread... how about Gray's Grasshopper Warbler... two NW European records so far.... most Sibes are getting commoner

Hi Jane,
Other than at somewhere lacking in cover like Fair Isle,how would one be found?We're still awaiting our first 'Lancy' over here(and it'll probably be on the least twitchable part of Ireland from Cork: Tory!)
Harry H

They are so big...they might be visible in longer grass... I was wrong...three records Ouessant, September 1913 and September 1933) and once in Denmark (September 1955).

Lancies are getting more regular away from Fair Isle :)

Hi Jane,
A few autumns back(2002?),Scilly had its first ever record of 'Lancy'.The day before,Derek Scott flushed a small-looking Locustella from some grass near his garden on Dursey Island,but couldn't relocate it....
Coincidence?
Harry H

Hi Jane,
Remember seeing an in-the-hand photo of the Bardsey bird: so near,and yet so far....
Filey is of little relevance to Ireland: many regular passage migrants/annual vagrants to the east coast of Britain are unrecorded or extremely rare here(c.f.Red-flanked Bluetail,'Lancy'(on Fair Isle),Blyth's Reed Warbler,Pechora Pipit(2 Irish records),OBP(none since 1993),Booted Warbler(1 Irish record),Hume's Warbler...hold on!;))
Harry H

seb salas said:
White Headed Duck (how can they not after September/Octobers obvious influx)
But we all said that they'd accept some of the Ruddy Shelduck influx as category A birds, didn't we? They didn't, though.

Jason

Jane Turner said:
In from another thread... how about Gray's Grasshopper Warbler... two NW European records so far.... most Sibes are getting commoner
If you look back on page one of this thread, you will see it was one of my three predictions too :t:

BTW I think this bird would be a bit more noticeable than a 'lancy'.....................they are the size of a small dog after all!!;)

Tristan R said:
If you look back on page one of this thread, you will see it was one of my three predictions too :t:

BTW I think this bird would be a bit more noticeable than a 'lancy'.....................they are the size of a small dog after all!!;)

Sorry I didn't read everything in the thread *slaps metaphorical wrist*

Would be a hell of a bird though

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back