• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED 50 broken in two. Best way to fix? (1 Viewer)

Hi

My ED50 has broken in half, which seems to be a fairly common fault. I sent it off to Nikon who said they can't fix it as they no longer stock the parts. I've now got it back and want to fix it myself using a combination of glue and waterproof tape or similar.

For those who've had this same fault, how have you fixed it?

When I put the two sections together and look through it it's basically fine and it seems a shame to bin it for what seems to me like an easy fix.

Thanks

Can you post pictures of the break? Is it clean along a seam? Do the optics sit properly still in just one half?

It's broken where the two sections meet. The screw mounts that hold the screws keeping the two halves together have broken. They were rattling around but I have now removed them. I need to give the two sections a clean with an air bulb to eliminate any dust but it looks like it will glue back together fine. See photo attached.

20230811_150752.jpg

I've seen this reported many times, there's an irony to the "waterproof" lettering near the objective now - maybe that means your could use one end as a small cup.

Is that a rubber gasket in the eye piece half for stopping the nitrogen escaping? Makes you wonder how they are purged during assembly.

How new is the scope? I'd have expected given the frequency on reports of ed 50's dividing themselves that it would have been fixed on newer models. Since they still make them I'd have thought they would have the parts unless the assemblies been changed to stop them splitting on newer models.

Will

I'd epoxy the two halves together in a (very) dry environment. Use an epoxy glue that doesn't need to be heated to reach full hardness. Then I'd tape the two halves together as an additional measure.

Hermann

I've seen this reported many times, there's an irony to the "waterproof" lettering near the objective now - maybe that means your could use one end as a small cup.

Is that a rubber gasket in the eye piece half for stopping the nitrogen escaping? Makes you wonder how they are purged during assembly.

How new is the scope? I'd have expected given the frequency on reports of ed 50's dividing themselves that it would have been fixed on newer models. Since they still make them I'd have thought they would have the parts unless the assemblies been changed to stop them splitting on newer models.

Will
I'm not sure exactly how old the scope is but probably around 10 years old at a guess. I was surprised when they said they couldn't fix it because I'd read about this before and on the face of it it's not major damage, just a couple of screws and screw mounts.

As this is a known fault I was also surprised that they didn't really offer much in the way of alternative options, especially as the scope and eyepiece were in excellent condition before it fell apart. I had the option of it going to the service lab for a £30 charge, having been told this would basically be a waste of time. I was also offered 30% off a new optic. I chose to have it sent back to me so I can try my luck fixing it myself.

With my 10 years old ED50 I have noticed for several months that the seam on the left side is larger than on the right. If I carefully apply some force to the two parts, I can't get them to move at all. The seam may have been caused by the fact that the telescope was left in my car during the hot summer last year. He then lies half on his side in my backpack, which puts some lateral pressure on the body. The internal attachment points on one side may have been slightly bent by the heat. At least that's my statement. Still, I fear that there will come a time when my beloved ED50 will split. Is that fear justified?

Sorry missed your post they sent it back. I think you should insist on a replacement...

This would be such an easy thing for Nikon to fix - just a slight change in the plastic casting and longer screws...it's been happening for years...

That's what I did. Then epoxy the seam - see Strengthening the body seam on ED50 with epoxy
Hi b-lilja,
Looking at the picture and the description of the process you provided in the above link I am not sure the "reinforcement" will do what you expected/hoped for.

From an engineering standpoint (I am a mechanical engineer) and general experience glues are working best (ie. deliver the most effective bonding result) when shear stress is applied, not normal stress as in this case. In your application only the small amount of glue that crept into the split and the glue cross section will work, and not even under an advantageous shear stress condition when loads are applied. In other words, it would have been sufficient (ie. practically the same result as now) to apply the glue only into the body split area (and not as a relatively broad band).

However, the best solution would have been to reinforce the body split area with a strip of glass fibre mat, soaked in epoxy. That would be a technical standard procedure for such cases.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be a wise guy and your scope may (hopefully) keep its integrity forever and you will never know how effectice your modification actually is.

Regards
Werner

Last edited:
Hi

My ED50 has broken in half, which seems to be a fairly common fault. I sent it off to Nikon who said they can't fix it as they no longer stock the parts. I've now got it back and want to fix it myself using a combination of glue and waterproof tape or similar.

For those who've had this same fault, how have you fixed it?

When I put the two sections together and look through it it's basically fine and it seems a shame to bin it for what seems to me like an easy fix.

Thanks
This is not that difficult to repair. I have fixed a number of telescopes like this. The holes / threads into which the three screws fit can be remade with two part epoxy metal replacement . When dry it takes a new thread. If the lugs in the other part are damaged then they can also be remade.
I have just fixed a small Kowa TSN 502 which had the same problem. Cost around £60.

Thanks for your post. As an ED50 owner it's great to know there's someone with the expertise and experience to fix this problem. ED50s broken in half are a known problem on this forum, but Kowa TSN 502 with the same problem is new to me. Can you share how many ED50 and TSN502 you have repaired in this way ? Can you also nitrogen purge an ED50 after the repair ?

It's broken where the two sections meet. The screw mounts that hold the screws keeping the two halves together have broken. They were rattling around but I have now removed them. I need to give the two sections a clean with an air bulb to eliminate any dust but it looks like it will glue back together fine. See photo attached.

View attachment 1525517
I think I see your problem....

Hi b-lilja,
Looking at the picture and the description of the process you provided in the above link I am not sure the "reinforcement" will do what you expected/hoped for.

From an engineering standpoint (I am a mechanical engineer) and general experience glues are working best (ie. deliver the most effective bonding result) when shear stress is applied, not normal stress as in this case. In your application only the small amount of glue that crept into the split and the glue cross section will work, and not even under an advantageous shear stress condition when loads are applied. In other words, it would have been sufficient (ie. practically the same result as now) to apply the glue only into the body split area (and not as a relatively broad band).

However, the best solution would have been to reinforce the body split area with a strip of glass fibre mat, soaked in epoxy. That would be a technical standard procedure for such cases.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be a wise guy and your scope may (hopefully) keep its integrity forever and you will never know how effectice your modification actually is.

Regards
Werner
I understand what you're saying, but I applied the epoxy quite thickly - quite built up, about 2-3mm at seam. It is hard for me to imagine the scope splitting again.

You got me looking at my photo, and now my scope. I'm gonna apply another bead of epoxy! That sucker ain't gonna break, I assure you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back