• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 Mini Review (1 Viewer)

However, how does this scope do on a true beach situation where you are scanning for birds out to sea or shorebirds that may be farther out? How does it handle birds that are far out on large lakes? What kind of visual do you get then?

Contrast and resolution are excellent, but this scope doesn't go over 40x and because of its small aperture performs best at 20-30x. Consequently, it isn't ideal for situations where higher powers are used regularly.

--AP

Yes i have used the mule with the tripod and scope and it works great, and it works better than it did with the Leica as not as heavy, so i am walking with the tripods legs fully open and carrying it by the centre column.
And then when your on the move again just on she goes and you don't even know you have it on.
I have always used these type of carrying pods as you can always take your scope out, no more shall i or shall i not moments..
I cant praise them enough, get the mule and you will wonder how you did with out one.

And the mule comes with a bag that can carry quite a lot of stuff (sarnies) and there is a bottle holder as well, you can also carry the bag on its own by a strap supplied.

Hope this has helped (go on get one) you will be well pleased (trust me)
That looks pretty good, Steve. What's the tripod in your pictures?

Michael

Hello Michael

The tripod in the picture is a Velbon Sherpa Pro CF 631EL with a Manfrotto MN701RC2 head i got the tripod from InFocus it was one of two they used to sell, cant seem to see them on the web site anymore ?
This is the closest to it i can find ?
http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/CF635.html
The head works very well as it is a video head so its more than enough for this little scope ?

Last edited:
The tripod in the picture is a Velbon Sherpa Pro CF 631EL with a Manfrotto MN701RC2 head i got the tripod from InFocus it was one of two they used to sell, cant seem to see them on the web site anymore ?
This is the closest to it i can find ?
http://www.velbon.co.uk/newvelbon/pages/CF635.html
The head works very well as it is a video head so its more than enough for this little scope ?
Thanks, Steve.

Michael

Well it's been about 11 months since I originally posted this thread, and I am more enamored with the ED50 than ever :t: It has become an indispensable part of my birding tackle and, along with my favorite Leicas, is my best bit of kit.

I rarely take the big 80mm scope out in the field now unless I know I'll be rather stationary, which is unusual. It has been a hit with others in my local Audubon as well, and always garners attention from worn out birders with their big scopes. I have noticed a strong trend towards "smaller and lighter" amongst birders in my area. Many more 32mm bins now than before and many more 60-65mm scopes vs the 80ish mm setups that used to prevail. Now some are looking at the little ED50 with intrigue. Along those lines, I've been taking my 8x32 BNs (vs my 7x42s) out mostly and have really fallen again for them. I just love those things and after walking 6 hours (yesterday) in the field with them and the ED50, I'm no worse for wear.

I sold the 20x EP some time ago and have been using the 27X wide, which is just great. I did just purchase however, a 16X wide DS EP from CameraLand as he had a demo for $69! I figured I couldn't go wrong and if I ever get an ED82 it'll make for a good visual and digiscoping EP for that as well. I'm actually kind of curious how I'll like the 16x on the ED50 as it is different enough from the 27x to bring something new to the party.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I'm fully satisfied with a straight 50ED and 13-40, (thanks to all contributors of this thread).
But sometimes I need every bit of magnification that this small scope could deliver, so I bought a 40x Wide MC. I just received it today and had only time for a glance at noon with bright daylight, looks fine, not night and day between zoom and fixed but good conditions aren't really selectives, I'll see in real life (spotting target).

Go for it Horu, you know you can use a light wt. scope. Another wedding present?;)
Regards,Steve

Yeah my next purchase is this scope will be use mainly for birding tours only hehehe because I've tried it on the last bird fair in my place and I was impressive even with the zoom eyepiece on it.

Hehehe time to try the 27x ep Steve ;)

Last edited:
I received a Cley Spy Mule Pack as a birthday present last week and used it for the first time with my ED50 yesterday. It works really well with the scope and makes carrying it about on the tripod effortless. My Opticron 42704 tripod is not the lightest but after a few minutes I almost forgot it was on my back. The Mule Pack matches the Cley Spy stay-on case perfectly and I think the combination looks rather smart.

Many thanks to Steve Lyon for recommending it. :t:

Ron

I wanted a really lightweight setup so I paired the ED50 with the Gitzo Traveller GT1541T tripod and Gitzo G2180 fluid head.

Scope (angled version inkl. 27 W DS eyepiece): 680 g
Tripod: 978 g
Fluid head (inkl. attachment plate but excl. panning arm): 502 g

Total: 2160 g

Works great under certain conditions. You can imagine how a lightweight tripod like this fares in the wind. I used it at the top of some cliffs on Heligoland during a force 5-6 wind. Considerable vibration, just about OK for brief observation, but I wouldn't want to try long-term observation, and digiscoping, of course, is out of the question.

Also, depending on how tall you are, the tripod might not extend high enough for observing at extreme angles whilst you're standing (i.e. with the scope pointed up steeply looking into the treetops). I'm just over 6' (184 cm) tall and had to stoop down whilst bending my knees - not a very comfortable position for more than 30 seconds. Alternatively, if you have a small camping stool, you can get around this problem.

So, the setup is great for seated observation and fine whilst you're standing as long as the scope isn't pointing up too steeply.

Despite the above limitations, I still really like this setup. I mean, at just over two kilograms, it's amazing really! |=)|

Mark_S - would be fascinated if you have any more up to date views on your tripod/head combination with the ED50. I really want the lightest weight for carrying but am concerned (of course) re stability and height with an angled.

Are you still happy ?

Hi tbcash80,

I use a Slik Sprint Pro 3-way with my ED50 when I know I will be making more regular stops to use the scope.

http://www.sliktripod.co.uk/pages/sprintpro3way.html

At 1080g, including the head, the Slik Sprint Pro 3-way is the lightest tripod and head I could find that also gives me the height I need to use a straight scope, as I am 6'. With the column fully extended I don't have to stoop, but there's very little extra height for looking upwards.

At around £70 this is probably going to be a lot cheaper than a Gitzo, which I found lost a lot of their weight-saving appeal once you added a head. You will note that the 502g head adds about 50% to the weight of the Gitzo legs Mark_s uses. If you are happy to carry around 1400g the Manfrotto 718B is often recommended. However the Gitzo legs may be more rigid.

If you really want the absolute lightest, then I don't think you will find anything lighter than the Slik Sprint Pro 3-way. However, if you go for the absolute lightest you have to be prepared to make sacrifices in rigidity. Every time you adjust the focus with the column at full height the whole thing vibrates a little, but it settles down very quickly. I wouldn't use it on a windy cliff top in a 5-6 for sea watching (I think any tripod will vibrate in that sort of wind speed), but for moderate breezes it's fine. It really depends on the type of birding are doing.

Everyone has their own weight/rigidity combination that they are comfortable with, and this can vary with the type of birding. I also regularly use a monopod for example with my ED50. I guess some people have several tripods for different situations because they find one size doesn't fit all. This is something that only you can decide, so whatever you buy I suggest that you find a dealer, or get one on approval by mail order to check it out.

Mark_S - would be fascinated if you have any more up to date views on your tripod/head combination with the ED50. I really want the lightest weight for carrying but am concerned (of course) re stability and height with an angled.

Are you still happy ?

I haven't been out with this setup in ages, simply because I haven't been out with a scope in ages.

I would recommend you try out your scope on a few different tripods at a dealer to see if the ultra lightweight (and therefore often shorter) tripods are still comfortable for observation.

As I mentioned, I wouldn't want to use my setup too often with the scope pointed up at steep angles - stooping really is quite uncomfortable and tiring, I find. It's OK if you just want to briefly identify a bird, but more than 10 seconds of viewing like this is uncomfortable. However, since I prefer using scopes whilst seated on a small camping stool, I think my setup is OK for that. (Though I have yet to use it whilst seated in strong winds - I imagine tripod shake will be noticeable here too.)

I'll be out with this setup sometime over the next few months - I shall report back if I notice any other benefits or drawbacks.

Good for you Horu! An ED82 and ED50 are a very cool combo alright.
That DS16x is a charmer on that little scope, isn't it?

Yes amazing combo hahaha should be for collector's item !

I wonder, have you tried digiscoping with DS27x eyepiece ?

My current eyepieces is the DS16x and 13-40x zoom. My planned is to retain the DS30x eyepiece with my ED82 and the zoom for my ED50.

Would it be better to buy the DS27x for my ED50 for digiscoping ? So I can use the zoom and DS27x while birding with groups. The ED82 when I'm on my own hahaha.

I'm using universal adapter, so should be okay for both DS eyepieces ;)

Any suggestions ?

I wonder, have you tried digiscoping with DS27x eyepiece ?

My current eyepieces is the DS16x and 13-40x zoom. My planned is to retain the DS30x eyepiece with my ED82 and the zoom for my ED50.

Would it be better to buy the DS27x for my ED50 for digiscoping? So I can use the zoom and DS27x while birding with groups. The ED82 when I'm on my own hahaha.

I'm using universal adapter, so should be okay for both DS eyepieces ;)

Any suggestions ?

I have used the DS27x a few times digiscoping. It's only about a half stop slower than the 16x, which surprised me. I like the DS16x quite a bit better for it's wider field and greater DOF and being much less susceptible to vibration. But you know Horu, I'm not much of a digiscoper and my advice may not be best.

As to the DS27x v the 13-40 for 'scoping, I can only imagine the fixed EP being better as I don't have the zoom. It is very good for visual use, that I can say with confidence.

Last edited:
I have used the DS27x a few times digiscoping. It's only about a half stop slower than the 16x, which surprised me. I like the DS16x quite a bit better for it's wider field and greater DOF and being much less susceptible to vibration. But you know Horu, I'm not much of a digiscoper and my advice may not be best.

As to the DS27x v the 13-40 for 'scoping, I can only imagine the fixed EP being better as I don't have the zoom. It is very good for visual use, that I can say with confidence.

Thanks a lot Kevin :)

If Nikon Malaysia send me the DS27x eyepiece tomorrow, will test and post the results here.

Is there still on sale for the new DS27x eyepiece ?

Use of ED50

Hi all,

You may remember that I had asked about which first scope I should buy and had decided on going for the opticron Es80. However on thinking it over, i taught that this scope would be too bulky and heavy for me as i frequently go for long hikes, do birding abroad and as i can't drive yet (still 16) i travel by bike, bus or on foot. I don't want to end up leaving the scope at home!

After reading here and other threads about the ED50 it seems as this would be the perfect scope for me! It will be my only scope for quite a while though, so how much will i get out of raptor and seawatching with the ed50? I asume it would be better than bins only but will the improvement be worth the money?

Sorry for bothering you again but the help is much appreciated!

martin

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back