• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HG 8x32's findings. (1 Viewer)

Quacker

These were my first "serious" pair of bins, by serious I mean costing more than £150.

I'd read about them, and read about them, and once I'd done reading, I read some more. They were duly purchased on special at WE here in the UK, along with a pair of reduced Sporters (now sold out) for the car.

The first thing was getting used to them, they were my first porro's for a start, and then I had to learn how to look through them, (see elsewhere for this phenomena). Having mastered that, I now have two very agreeable bright pairs of bins.

The thing which others described the step-in effect took some getting used to. As does the apparent increase in size of small birds. This surprises me somewhat as my previous bins, althought not worldbeaters, were perfectly adequate, a pair of Olympus 8x42 and Bushnell's (also 8x42). I am constantly amazed at just how much difference there are between these new bins compared to the old ones I was using.

Is this a Nikon thing? - I was looking through them at a common Wren, when it appeared huge, and only its tail giving it away, similarly, hitherto Willow Warblers, again look much larger than they did. One would think this would aid i.d. but it certainly can confuse, especially at first. Ironically, they've not been used as much as they should, but a couple of trips in the next 3 weeks will correct that.

Is this a type, brand or just an upgrade feature?

Steve

Doh, of course I meant roofs |8.|

However, on the previous occasions I used roofs, I never noticed this effect? reminds me of he line, it's not an optical illusion, it just looks like it! (Alan Rymer?)

Never noticed it with Leica, Opticron etc. - however never used them for any length of time.

Well, half-an-hour ago I finally took the plunge and ordered a pair of 8x32s from WE. I've been meaning to upgrade from my trusty Opticron Imagics for ages but just haven't been able to bring myself to fork out the best part of £1000 for some new bins, in spite of being sorely tempted after having tried various top-range models owned by friends or people on trips.

So I'm hoping these fit the bill at a reasonable price. I know I'm breaking the golden rule of try before you buy, but having read so many favourable comments on here about them, I don't feel I'm taking too many chances at that price (still £379).

I'll let you know what I think when they arrive!

Graham, I'm pretty sure you won't be dissapointed with the new bins. the only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the rather quick focussing. The close focus is just brill.

John.

Well, they arrived as promised the next day, at 12:30 this morning in fact, and 1 nanosecond later I was outside my front door trying them out.

I don't know enough about binoculars to give a proper review, but I was very impressed right from the start with the bright, sharp, contrasty image and within 5 minutes it felt like I'd been using them for months. I know others have had problems getting used to this model, but I can only say I had no transition period at all from using my Opticron Imagics 8x42s.

Sure enough, they aren't the lightest around, but the weight is not an issue to me at all, and the solid build just looks quality and promises a long reliable life. My only criticism would be the almost totally useless rainguards, which come nowhere near fitting properly and just fall off at the slightest provocation. Really naff for a very good binocular.

To anybody like myself who's been hesitating, I would say "don't" and have a look at these while they're still available.

Last edited:
Glad you like them. The weight issue with the HG's only applied to the 10x42's. Fab optics...just like your 8's, but the weight of the 10's was far tooooo heavy.

The weight of the 8x Nikons has never been an issue. I don't know about you but they feel great in my hands..chunky and solid.

ENJOY A BARGAIN.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back