• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon monarch 5 lens glare (1 Viewer)

zalt

Hi, in my newly bought Nikon monarch 5 10X42 I can see quite obvious sun spots due to light leaking in and reflecting off the ocular lenses. Since i dont have much experience with other binos i just want to know if the monarchs are particulary bad in this regard compared to other models in the same price range. Otherwise i am very happy with them but this sunglare thing makes me think twice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

if you are sure that the reflections are caused by reflections from the eyelens (by covering the sunny side with your hand), you could try some winged eye cups... that is, if you don't use glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/Binocular-EyeShield-Standard-Winged-B001/dp/B007ATZXK6

Whether this happens depends on the diameter of the eyecups and your individual facial physiognomy... if you use glasses, all bets are off, unfortunately as there is plenty of space for stray light to enter between your face and the glasses.

Joachim

The "Bino Bandit" works well for this issue. Mine fits up better on some of my binoculars more than others, but should be workable on a 42mm Monarch.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back