• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Pro-Staff 7--Introduced. (1 Viewer)

I just looked through the prostaff 7 and the monarch 5 out at a Sportsmans warehouse. I was impressed at the nice clean images of the prostaff and the edge sharpness. Not bad for a bin you can buy for $150. They would be a great beginner birding binocular imo.

I got to compare a lot of great binoculars today. One surprise was an inexpensive one from Alpen called the Shasta I believe. They were on sale for $99 and were just as nice as the Prostaff as far as I could see and they were more compact. Even at $169 I'd call them a good deal. Sorry to go off topic.

I tried a pair of 8x42 Prostaff 7's for a few days last month. The optics and ergonomics were very good, especially at the discounted price. Unfortunately the focus knob became very stiff in cold weather (mid to upper 20's). I sent them back. If I lived in Florida instead of New Jersey I would have kept them.

I tried a pair of 8x42 Prostaff 7's for a few days last month. The optics and ergonomics were very good, especially at the discounted price. Unfortunately the focus knob became very stiff in cold weather (mid to upper 20's). I sent them back. If I lived in Florida instead of New Jersey I would have kept them.

Hey, you from Joisey, I'm from Joisey! :)

Northeast, within view of the Manhattan skyline, but I have relatives in Parsipanny, Hackettstown, and Montague.

I was impressed with Jerry's comments about the Prostaff and thought about getting a pair for Christmas, particularly because I had a $10 Nikon Sports Optics coupon burning a hole in my pocket, but I ended up with a Nikon digital camera instead. Now I'm glad, because of the Prostaff's focuser getting stiff in the cold. Heck, my Nikon porros can do that just fine! :)

Thanks for that comment.

Brock

Brock,

Montague (Township) is where High Point Scientific is located. Just across the toll bridge from PA. I bought my refurbished Nikon 10 x 35 EII there about 10 years ago.

Bob

Brock,

Montague (Township) is where High Point Scientific is located. Just across the toll bridge from PA. I bought my refurbished Nikon 10 x 35 EII there about 10 years ago.

Bob

My Uncle Mike was mayor of Montague Township. This was before High Point Scientific opened. Never been there.

I have visited Pocono Mountain Optics in Moscow, Pa., which is probably closer to you. Felt like a kid in the candy store (problem is my taste is scopes tends toward 6" APO refractors, which are like Godiva chocolates :).

Brock

Last edited:
Pocono Mountain Optics eventually became High Point Optics after it closed. Most of their employees went there. I bought a Pronto and a Gibraltar at Pocono and a TV 85 at High Point. One of the guys (Mike) I think, ended up at B&H.

Bob

Pocono Mountain Optics eventually became High Point Optics after it closed. Most of their employees went there. I bought a Pronto and a Gibraltar at Pocono and a TV 85 at High Point. One of the guys (Mike) I think, ended up at B&H.

Bob

Ah, that explains how High Point seemingly came out of nowhere with a large inventory of products. When I visited my relatives in Carbondale and Jessup I'd stop in at Pocono Mt. to lust and drool.

I had my eye on a TV 101 on a Gibraltar mount the last time I visited the store. Considering what alpha bins cost today, the price was pretty reasonable. I tried one at my club's star party at Cherry Springs (Black Forest Star Party). The club celebrated its 15th year anniversary on Thursday.

I was impressed with the 101, because I like the Big Picture, but I was even more impressed with detail I saw on DSOs through the TV 102 that Leif Robinson, former editor of S & T, brought with him. He was our keynote speaker that year.

Being a binofile now, my taste tends more toward one of these, which could double as a spotting scope:

Bhttp://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=764419#photos

Brock

Last edited:
Ah, that explains how High Point seemingly came out of nowhere with a large inventory of products. When I visited my relatives in Carbondale and Jessup I'd stop in at Pocono Mt. to lust and drool.

I had my eye on a TV 101 on a Gibraltar mount the last time I visited the store. Considering what alpha bins cost today, the price was pretty reasonable. I tried one at my club's star party at Cherry Springs (Black Forest Star Party). The club celebrated its 15th year anniversary on Thursday.

I was impressed with the 101, because I like the Big Picture, but I was even more impressed with detail I saw on DSOs through the TV 102 that Leif Robinson, former editor of S & T, brought with him. He was our keynote speaker that year.

Being a binofile now, my taste tends more toward one of these, which could double as a spotting scope:

Brock

Beautiful pair of Taks. Would probably bite if they were on ebay.

Steve

Brock

Brock,

High Point is worth a trip. It's in a rural area about 4 miles south of Port Jervis in the middle of an old farm field. Very professional set up. You can take a binocular or a small scope outside and try them out there. Some of those digiscoped pictures you see of birds on the Tele Vue website were taken from the parking lot just outside the building entrance by Mike Peoples.

http://www.televue.com/Birdscope/images/MikePeoples/

I used to go through Carbondale often on my way to fish the Upper Delaware River. I knew a number of people from there. In fact, for a while, I dated a very nice young lady who lived there.

The brand new Casey Highway (New Route 6), a 4 lane Gem, now goes along the mountainside just east of and above Jessup and gives a great view of the Valley below. If you have never been on it you would be surprised at how easy the trip is now. It meets the old Route 6 at the top of the mountain above Carbondale and continues on to Honesdale.

Bob

Last edited:
It seems this thread has drifted lately, but for the last week or so, I brought the 10x42
Prostaff 7 on vacation. I wanted to save weight, and just bring my best and most important optics, just incase something happens.
These do have a nice FOV of 6*, and I continue to enjoy the the view. I also have the
8x42, and need to get some more time with those, and I find both to be a very nice binocular and one to try, in the under $200. area. They have the great Nikon view, with a great focuser, fine fit and finish, and I think they are a nice value.

Jerry

Yea Jerry, you're right. My apologies; since I started this thread a while back.

Eagle Optics has a sale on them now. $149.99 which looks like a good deal. $50.00 off their regular price. Maybe I'll get one.

Bob

I had a chance for a more serious look at the Prostaff 7 today. I went to a sporting goods store and compared it outside with a Bushnell Legend HD both in the 10x42 configuration.

Interestingly the counter guy went outside with me and we talked and he was the first guy I've met in the real world that knows the Sightron Binoculars well. The price difference between them was about $60 at this store. $170 Prostaff vs $230 HD.

My impressions were (and the counter guy basically agreed although he preferred the way the Bushnells handled.) that the center views of the Bushnell were hands down superior. The Prostaff wins in edge sharpness by a small margin and for me in handling. I didn't like the way the Bushnell handled and I got partial blackouts if I wasn't careful. I have been considering both but after a really good look don't think I would buy either due to these issues. That is not to say that either is shabby.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back