• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon se 10x42 (2 Viewers)

Optically the Nikon 10x42 SE is behind the top alpha's now although for the money it is a pretty good buy IF you can find one. For similar money though I would buy the Tract Toric 10x42 instead and then you have optics that are at least as good plus it is waterproof. The SE can't compete with the big AFOV of the top alpha's like the 10x42 SF Zeiss or even the Swarovski SV 10x42. It doesn't have the WOW factor for that reason.
Flat field in combination with the porro 3 D gives me a huge wow every time I use them, especially at closer ranges, say <50 meters. This combination is something you won't find in any roof.

For me the ergonomics are one of the best. I steady them with my forefingers against my forehand, which I find very stable.

George

After years of reading wonders about this Nikon SE line, I managed to acquire the Nikon 10x42 SE model

Probably one of the few that exist here in the country

Yes, it is very rare, very rare even here in Brazil

I'm having a great experience with Nikon SE

I have other binoculars and I always wanted this for my modest collection

I recommend

Nice. It is such a lovely device. In your picture the SF literally dwarfs the SE :D Is the SF also 10x42?

I have Zeiss Victory SF 8x42 first generation

I was very lucky to buy here in Brazil, I got it second hand

The person bought it at BHPhoto years ago and never used it as it should, just kept it in a drawer and forgot that he had great binoculars at home

In comparison Zeiss is one step up

There are some facilities at Zeiss that make it a reference in roof

I could highlight the wide field, the ease of use with just one hand close to the face

Better control of diffused lights

More depth in images

But I love the Nikon SE 10x42 CF

Porro binoculars are featured on my shelf

I used to have some EIIs, realy miss them, but I had to sell them in order to upgrade. I wish that I was able to indulge like some on here 🙂

I used to have some EIIs, realy miss them, but I had to sell them in order to upgrade. I wish that I was able to indulge like some on here 🙂
I don't think about selling my EII

But you never know

Which upgrade did you make friend

I don't think about selling my EII

But you never know

Which upgrade did you make friend
I sold them and bought some 10x32 HGLs, that I found on closeout with a dealer £500👍 After a while I found the shallow depth of field frustrating, plus they were large and heavy for a 32. So at the beginning of the kick down last year, they went; to be replaced by some 8x30 CLs - a brilliant binocular to take on a walk for a few hours with the dog (I am lucky living in a rural area). They have now been supplemented by some 8.5x 42 ELs as I have taken partial retirement 👍.

I feel that I am going full circle as the EIIs replaced a pair of 7x42 SLCs. Guess I like Nikon and Swarovski, as I also have a pair of 10x25 HGLs paid a couple of others🙂. I am sure that most who write regularly on this forum have a similar potted history of binocular ownership😂

I sold them and bought some 10x32 HGLs, that I found on closeout with a dealer £500👍 After a while I found the shallow depth of field frustrating, plus they were large and heavy for a 32. So at the beginning of the kick down last year, they went; to be replaced by some 8x30 CLs - a brilliant binocular to take on a walk for a few hours with the dog (I am lucky living in a rural area). They have now been supplemented by some 8.5x 42 ELs as I have taken partial retirement 👍.

I feel that I am going full circle as the EIIs replaced a pair of 7x42 SLCs. Guess I like Nikon and Swarovski, as I also have a pair of 10x25 HGLs paid a couple of others🙂. I am sure that most who write regularly on this forum have a similar potted history of binocular ownership😂

the legal part of it all is knowing the stories that surround each purchase or sale of our binoculars

I for example have not yet had the opportunity to look through Swarovski lenses, I hope one day to meet and also be able to buy some EL or NL Pure model, dreaming costs nothing

Nikon EII 8x30, I like it too

I find it incredible in short distances with its sharpness in the center of the lens, wide field, great ergonomics

I always use it with the folded lens rubber, I don't use glasses, they are binoculars free of blackouts

in my opinion it is indispensable in the collection

:)

That is an absurd high price. Those in the know would not go anywhere near that.

The Nikon SE's are very good, but not at that price. The 10x42 is the lesser of all 3 sizes in my experience.

Jerry

I only know the SE 10x42 version

I will hardly be able to look at 8x32 and 12x50

Very rare here in Brazil

But I agree that the value is high

My Nikon SE 10x42, is the last batch, with the most current coatings I would say, including by the serial number, it is above the Ebay seller

I paid 400 dollars less than 1 month

I was lucky

Hi,

I don´t know the actual street price for a mint SE 10x42. Some 7 years ago I compared side by side a SE 10x42, new, with my Swarovski Habicht W GA 10x40, in very good condition.
The "test" was made at the evening, looking at buildings, trees, cars, lights, etc.
The S Habicht was, clearly, better in almost all optics caracteristics. And, a big plus, is water/weather proof by the factory. And is still made or offered.

Good luck

PHA
There's a 10x42 SE selling for $995 on eBay.

I've owned the 10x42 SE, and I've tried the 10x42 SLC HD (first version with the two colors and shorter close focus).

10x42 SE
PROS:
-- very sharp, 3-D view
-- smooth if somewhat thin and slow focuser
-- comfortable ergonomics--although some people prefer the elbows down ergonomics of roofs, the SE's prism housing (common to all three models) fit my hands like a glove)
-- field flatteners (takes a bit away from the 3-D effect but still way better than roofs)
-- very high light transmission @ 95%
-- long eye relief
-- lightweight @ 26 oz. (allbinos list them at 28 oz, but I think that's wrong)
-- well built for a porro, but don't drop them
-- contrast is good but remember the 10x SEs were the first one's made by Nikon. Early production runs whose serial # stars with 0 do not show as good contrast as later runs whose serial # stars with 5.

CONS:
-- not waterproof
-- has wide and deep rubber eyecups that were not made for European faces. The eyecup height can't be easily adjusted, though I have seen some owners use a rubber band to get in between all the way up or down, however...
-- prone to image blackouts when you pan or if your eyes sink in too close to the EP lenses
-- has some CA, less than many non-ED roofs
-- the FOV is a bit cramped comparatively @ 6*
-- despite the great ergos, I found it harder to hold steady than the 10x35 E2, perhaps because of the weight vs. size--I used it with a weight hanging from the central post, which made it easier to hold steady
-- long close focus
-- red bias can make the image seem darker than you would expect for such a high transmission

10x42 SLC HD
PROS:
-- bright views, high contrast, vivid colors, though not quite as sharp as the SE
-- very good edges ~ 90% -- achieved without field flatteners
-- comfortable ergonomics although not as comfortable in my hands as the SEs
-- although the listed FOV is only slightly larger than the SE, the apparent FOV seemed noticeably more open
-- high light transmission, not as high as SEs, but VG for roofs
-- long eye relief
-- waterproof and fog proof
-- very robustly built--will survive being dragged through the mud, the blood and the beer -- a hunter's delight, but it's also suitable for 10x birders with strong arms...

CONS:
-- weight @ 30 oz was too heavy, and since that weight is not widely distributed like the SE porros, but centrally concentrated in the two parallel tubes, the SLC feels even heavier, hurt my neck and shoulders after an hour's use
-- the focuser turned smooth toward the left and harder and sticky to the right (like all Swaros, not to my liking)
-- eyecups were comfortabe for my face like, similar to the Nikon EDG

CONCLUSION
Ultimately, the uncomfortable eyecups were a deal killer for the SE (for some it's the image blackouts, but if you roll the eyecups down and use the SE with glasses, you might not have this problem).
The heavy weight and focuser were non starters for the SLC.
I think a better choice would be the 10x42 EDG, which obviates the above issues.

The Se 10X42 is sold.

Andy W.
I missed your earlier post about them. It sold more quickly than I had expected. I thought he might have to repost it with a "Make Offer." He probably paid a premium having bought the SEs in Canada, so it appears he recouped his investment.

Nikon 8x30 EII 100th Anniversary

Nikon 10x42 SE CF

Fujinon FMTR SX Polaris 7x50

Zeiss Victory SF 8x42
Nice collection. I also have the 8x E2 100th Anniversary edition. It has the best mico-contrast and sharpness of all my bins. I can see amazing detail even at a long distance. It's like having superhero vision. There were only a small number of these made, so it's surprising to find that you, Andy and I own three of them. There was an E2 AE selling for $1,100 on eBay recently. Someone on BF described the 8x AE as "alpha glass." I agree. I wish Nikon had also made an AE of the 10x35 E2.

I owned but sold my 10x42 SE, but I liked it the best out of the three SEs since it was useful for stargazing as well as birding. But I find the 10x E2 easier to hold steady, the shorter eyecups more comfortable, and I enjoy with wider 70* AFOV. The 10x E2 I bought last year from Japan didn't get much use in the summer or early fall due to the forest fires out West blotting out the night sky, and due to COVID, I only used the 10x E2 at a nearby wildlife habitat three times before winter. I got my first CV vaccine shot yesterday, so I hope to see more variety of birds and wildlife in the spring.

I've tried the 7x50 FMT but only at a dark site. It was the non-armored version, which can feel cold in the winter if you don't have gloves on. Even though I'm sure my pupils can't open to 7mm, I still find that my light polluted skies seem even more washed out through a 7x50. For example, I had both the 7x50 and 10x50 Celestron Novas (super wide field bins), and the sky looked more washed out through the 7x50 even though they had the same AR coatings. I have the Fuji 6x30 FMT, which has a usable 5mm exit pupil and is much lighter than the 7x50 model. What makes both impractical for birding is their looooong close focus. I used the 6x30 FMT as a "finder" bin for my telescope, but now that I sold the scope, I'm not sure how I will use the Fuji. I might have to take up kayaking, which was what the original owner used them for. He apparently didn't go kayaking often since the Fujis are in mint condition.

Back to OT, seeing the demand for SEs and what they are selling for these days, I wonder if Nikon has any plans to bring them back or if enough of us petitioning them will have any impact on that decision. They still make the E2s, which I'm told are very popular in Europe. They are the favorites of Holger Merlitz and the Polish bin reviewer on Allbinos. If they do ressurect the SE line, I'd like to see them updated with 5-stop EDG eyecups. That would overcome my nose fit issues and allow others to find the right distance of the EPs from their eyes to avoid image blackouts.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back