• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE 8X32 (2 Viewers)

I recently sent my 8x32SEs in for service and they came back better than ever. Definitely serviced with tender loving care. I was stoked! These are as good as anything I own (saying a lot), they go out with me in dry weather all the time. The shorter centerline through the bins leads to less axial shake too.
Can you tell us where you sent them in and for what service?
thx

Two years ago I would never have believed this, but here we are....I would if I needed eyecups, get some made on a 3-D printer, they would be much cheaper.

Some of us saw the end of Nikon rubber eyecups coming at us way back in 2008. We raided the warehouse and now we're sitting on something better than bitcoin!

One of these just went for $1225.00, unbelievable.

At the other end of the spectrum a Nikon Eii 8x30 sold for £45 a few days ago. The seller had no idea of it's worth.

Awesome. Then again there are plenty of collectors out there and it only takes one!

I guess I'm fortunate that I use mine with glasses - if my eyecups wear out I'll buy an aftermarket pair which I can trim down to the perfect blackouts-free height. Tobias Mennle's solution (the stick-on foam pads) ought to work well too, but is butt ugly. I wish I could push up the rubber eyecups just a tiny bit more. Nikon's choice to go with rubber eyecups on that long eye relief design was not their greatest idea - one wonders if (along with the narrow field of view) it was a deliberate decision to make them less competitive with the EDG.

@Elpha above - hope you were the fortunate buyer!

Nikon's choice to go with rubber eyecups on that long eye relief design was not their greatest idea - one wonders if (along with the narrow field of view) it was a deliberate decision to make them less competitive with the EDG.
The SE were on the market a long, long time before Nikon began producing the EDG. Your theory doesn't work.

Hermann

Some of us saw the end of Nikon rubber eyecups coming at us way back in 2008. We raided the warehouse and now we're sitting on something better than bitcoin!

Yes, it seems like yesterday. I bought some in ~2008 and then, later, Nikon was giving them away free. I think I have two or three sets, plus some for the E2, and a few for the WF series Fieldscope eyepieces. Since I wear glasses, I don't have much concern for my own use, but I like having back-ups. But maybe I should cash in!

I have not had a single Nikon eyecup crack or split since I started using ArmorAll on them 20+ years ago.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back