• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No eBird Taxonomy update this year (2022)? (1 Viewer)

And species and subspecies are now available for comparison on Avibase (which I would expect to be close or identical to final once it's officially published).
This would suggest the Clements/eBird species count increases from 10,906 species to 11,017. That's up by 111 species for those keeping count... but yes, that's not official or even necessarily precise. Extinct species count goes from 158 to 160. Not because 2 extinctions happened, but because splits promoted then to species level.

Actually, I think this might be recognition of some additional described species known from subfossil evidence, IIRC, not necessarily a change in taxonomy.
No, there's no information about extinct status in the comparison. So all of the information I have about extinction comes from data that I already had.

That's not to say that they haven't classified more species as extinct; it's just that if they have, I don't know about it. And the only new species in the comparison are Principe Scops-Owl, Wangi-wangi White-eye, and Ibera Seedeater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back