• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No glasses needed with 10x42 NL (1 Viewer)

Robert Moore

I just purchased a 10x42 NL and I already had the 8x42 NL. I have been wearing glasses for years when using binoculars because I couldn’t get that razor sharpness without them. I have astigmatism .50 in left eye and .75 in right eye. I could get a nice view without my glasses in the 8x42 NL but still better with glasses. Well I tried my new 10x42 NL today without my glasses and it is razor sharp even better than when using my glasses. Only thing I can figure is maybe smaller exit pupil but I have had other 10x42 and never this sharp without my glasses. Makes me wonder if 10x32 NL would be even better. It is wonderful to have a bin I don’t need glasses for.

Been considering the winged eye cups recently. My thought is, in conjunction with the FRP, the winged eye cups, by blocking out stray light, would promote use with the eye cups rolled in several stops. Have had the eye cups fully extended for blocking side light as well as support.

I am going to try them. I think they will be nice. Some people comment on seeing glare with the 10x42 thankfully I didn’t have that issue.

I just purchased a 10x42 NL and I already had the 8x42 NL. I have been wearing glasses for years when using binoculars because I couldn’t get that razor sharpness without them. I have astigmatism .50 in left eye and .75 in right eye. I could get a nice view without my glasses in the 8x42 NL but still better with glasses. Well I tried my new 10x42 NL today without my glasses and it is razor sharp even better than when using my glasses. Only thing I can figure is maybe smaller exit pupil but I have had other 10x42 and never this sharp without my glasses. Makes me wonder if 10x32 NL would be even better. It is wonderful to have a bin I don’t need glasses for.
An EP=4.2mm is larger than your eye puplis in many situations. More likely the reason is the flatter field of the 10x42; the 8x has a wider FoV and probably more field curvature.

But Robert don't you need to wear your glasses so that you can spot distant birds that you can then focus on with your binos?

Lee

I am going to try them. I think they will be nice. Some people comment on seeing glare with the 10x42 thankfully I didn’t have that issue.
Hi Robert, I have been playing around with the winged eye cups for a while now, the ones I purchased were the 36-45mm field optics and I have found that having them placed below the actual lip of the eye cup was a lot more comfortable and less stress on the rubber, they sit really well below the lip and seem to fit my face better also.
How do you find the 10x over the 8s? I have the 8x42 and I'm thinking of jumping to the 12s, a lot of my viewing is on the night sky. I'm hesitant at the minute as the views the 8x give are really nice and relaxed.
Regards

Slight astigmatism isn't likely to stop you spotting distant birds in the way myopia would surely?
Not in the way myopia would but why risk missing something at all?
Maybe this isn't for everyone, but many years ago I told myself that spectacles are no different to binoculars, they are instruments to enable me to see birds and other creatures more clearly. From that time onwards I have worn spectacles all the time and very soon became accustomed to it and have been so glad that I did.
Lee

Last edited:
Maybe this isn't for everyone, but many years ago I told myself that spectacles are no different to binoculars, they are instruments to enable me to see birds and other creatures more clearly.
And fully multicoated ones will transmit >99%. (That was just for some of the antediluvians here ;))

John

I will probably end up going back to just using my glasses. I can see okay at a distance but not as good as with my glasses on. Like you said it will be harder for me to spot the birds in the first place. I just thought it was interesting that I could get such a nice image in the 10x42 NL with out my glasses compared to other binoculars.

Hi Robert, I have been playing around with the winged eye cups for a while now, the ones I purchased were the 36-45mm field optics and I have found that having them placed below the actual lip of the eye cup was a lot more comfortable and less stress on the rubber, they sit really well below the lip and seem to fit my face better also.
How do you find the 10x over the 8s? I have the 8x42 and I'm thinking of jumping to the 12s, a lot of my viewing is on the night sky. I'm hesitant at the minute as the views the 8x give are really nice and relaxed.
Regards
Thanks for that info on the winged eyecups. I also thought about going with the 12x but was worried about ease of view with such a small exit pupil. I have the 12x50 vortex UHD I use for astronomy mounted on a tripod and they are just awesome. Pinpoint stars just like in the NL. Not $3000.00 fit and finish but optically excellent. So since I had it I opted for the 10x42 NL for day time viewing of birds and it is as expected excellent. I noticed with the 8x the extreme close focus on insects at 10ft and closer is more relaxed and merging much better. Only negative I found with 10x.

I will probably end up going back to just using my glasses. I can see okay at a distance but not as good as with my glasses on. Like you said it will be harder for me to spot the birds in the first place. I just thought it was interesting that I could get such a nice image in the 10x42 NL with out my glasses compared to other binoculars.
Hi Robert wen I'm birding I use my glasses then wen I spot something I just lift my glasses up on my forehead

But Robert don't you need to wear your glasses so that you can spot distant birds that you can then focus on with your binos?

Lee
I sometimes take my glasses off in the hide. I'm not too bad without them anyway. Always need them for driving tho.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back