• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noisiest bird pound for pound? (1 Viewer)

Ronchick said:
The noisiest bird EVER has got to be the blackbird currently resident in our garden. She seems to have gone berserk recently. She spends almost the entire day flitting between our apple tree and our pear tree, shouting shrill and very LOUD alarm calls. Occasionally she hops down to the lawn and comes close to our back door, shouting at my husband and me. She's sometimes joined by her mate, but mostly it is just the female. The shouting goes on relentlessly most days, until after sunset.

We do have two cats, but one is totally non-aggressive (which won't impress a blackbird, I know -- to a bird, a cat is a cat, no doubt). The other one hunts, but mainly for small rodents, and almost exclusively at night. She spends 99% of the day sleeping off her night-time adventures and is rarely in the garden during the day.

We assume the hysterical blackbird is protecting a nest nearby (her other main vantage/shouting point is high in a leafy tree in our next-door neighbour's garden; we think the nest might be near that tree). But we are concerned about the length of time she has been doing this (at least the last three weeks) and the apparent lack of stimuli for the behaviour -- ie, she shouts and screams regardless of whether the cats are nearby, or whether we are in the garden -- she will sit in our apple tree and shout whether there is anyone in the garden or not.

I'm wondering whether this is normal behaviour, or whether this hysterical female somehow got "stuck" in vigilant mode and is now permanently on guard. I would have thought that this late in the season young would have been fully fledged and gone away. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
If the blackbird has a nest, it will have to be "on its guard." Studying choughs here in the Isle of Man, I have long noticed that some breeding birds are more defensive than others, so maybe your blackbird is at the defensive end of its species.
Allen S. Moore

Tim42 said:
I would say the Northern Mockingbird, sometimes it just won't shut up! I do have to admit it is interesting to listen to with it's variety of songs. ;) :flyaway:

Tim42, I have a baby mockingbird in my fence, covered by a thick jasmine vine. I suppose he was the only one who hatched. His parents try to be so discreet regarding his location..... they look around & try to make sure no one notices them when they pop in to feed him. However, it's useless, because he squawks & squeaks like crazy every single time. I guess they're loud from birth. At least this one is.

whip-poor-wills ,at night they are loud and annoying.on time had to get out of the tent to try and scare one off.
just lately winter wren,out at the lake starts at 4:00am continuely called with no breaks till around 8:00am and loud

Stevie babe said:
For the Uk at least once you've heard a ring necked parakeet you knw about it. When you've heard a flock - Oh boy - get your ear plugs out

Steve

Changed my mind last weekend

Herring gull at 4.30 Am just outside my bedroom was toooooo much

Steve

I'd only heard of Mockingbirds before a recent work-trip to Jacksonville, Florida, but in my limited experience they are easily the most persistent, if not noisiest bird I'd ever seen and heard. They're like crazy people on the street corner that keep shouting out biblical verses, and they have a repertoire as vast as a college kid's pirated music downloads. Add to that the ferocity with which they protect their area, attacking other birds, cats, or any other perceived threat, and they are pound for pound the nastiest birds on the planet. If they were the size of eagles they'd rule the planet.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back