• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nominate the extraordinary! (1 Viewer)

The 'Cheapest (and most curiously described) new binoculars on Ebay with bidders'

Two bidders for these HD nightvision, zoom, 60x60 (or more likely 25plus x35plus) binoculars, bidding at £2.19

I guess you can see through them at night, but they don't seem to be zoomy, and they might have high definition plastic bits. Contradictory specifications given in French and English

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professi...2c00:g:1ZsAAOSw~O1eX264&LH_ItemCondition=1000

'Best Binoculars for Fashionable Social-Distancing': Swarovski Crystal 8x20B Tosca.

Lee

Attachments

• opplanet-swarovski-8x20mm-tosca-binoculars-vertical-02.jpg
    opplanet-swarovski-8x20mm-tosca-binoculars-vertical-02.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Any of the relatively cheaper Chinese ED bins like Hawke that puts outstanding glass in reach of the man on a budget.

No way, for 35 mm film SLR it's gotta be Nikon FA over the FM2n for sure. Fight's on! :) Ah, those were the days.

--AP

|:D||:D||:D|

No Fight.

I still use mine , and it is just as good now as when it originally came from the factory all those many years ago.

Yes there are no arguments , most of those old camera's were and are very good , the quality and longevity of the modern plastic wonder camera's cannot compare with them.

|:D||:D||:D||:D||:D||:D|

Cheers.

Head and shoulders above the crowd?

Canon 10x42 stabilised, of course. Optically the equal of any of the best in its class, and with the stabiliser able to show you 30-40% more detail, more easily and faster, than any of them hand-held.

Although I haven't seen it, I'm willing to believe that the Nikon 10x50 WX could be head and shoulders above other 10x binoculars when properly supported.

- Kimmo

Safran Vectronix.
Combination binocular, thermal imager, image intensifier and laser rangefinder.

Big birds orbital could resolve 4 inches at 250 miles, so pretty good for big birds or herring gulls.

Aerial cameras easily showed golf balls from 85,000ft, so good for pigeons.

Modern aerial platforms show anything moving over 10 square kilometres, including gulls and pigeons.

B.

Last edited:
No way, for 35 mm film SLR it's gotta be Nikon FA over the FM2n for sure. Fight's on! :) Ah, those were the days.

--AP

FM3a - all the mechanical advantages of the FM2n plus aperture priority and TTL flash when you're in a hurry.

Agree the FA's a great camera, too.

For the "I have A LOT of time on my hands and Really want to discover the next Comet" category, I nominate the Fujinon 25x150 EM SX ED.

Oh and don't forget the ball mount as they won't work too well w/o it.

Attachments

• Fujinon_7125156_25x150_EM_SX_ED_Binocular_1232625010_206823.jpg
    Fujinon_7125156_25x150_EM_SX_ED_Binocular_1232625010_206823.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 44
At the cost of three WXs, I would think the views would be outrageous under a dark sky.

Andy W.

Yeah about three times the price but at 1963 sq.mm vs 17,671 sq. mm the Fujis have 9x the objective area

Also, it's more like four times the price with the ball mount and heavy enough tripod or pylon included.

Last edited:
For the absolute minimum optic for the "I can't be bothered with carrying more than a Bic pen" category, I nominate the Zeiss Mini Quick 5x10. At .8 oz and barely fatter than a ballpoint pen, it doesn't leave much of an excuse not to carry it. Reversed, it makes for a mighty handy magnifier as well

Attachments

• Mini Quick.jpg
    Mini Quick.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Kevin,

I am sure the views as Dennis stated would be WOW through the Fuji. That is a lot of $$$ though with out the variable eyepiece option, ouch.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back