• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (64 Viewers)

Titchwell August 6th

Today's highlights

Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Yellow legged gull - 2 adults roosting on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 6 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 100 roosting on fresh marsh this morning
Wood sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 2 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 172 on fresh marsh
Garganey - moulting female still on Patsy's reedbed
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

The Fishermen's car park is behind the hide below the river bank. Before the RSPB car park it was about the only place to park. When you leave the RSPB car park and cross the railway there is a road coming in from the right. This runs parallel to the railway for about half a mile and then crosses the railway at a level crossing. Another few hundred yards brings you to RSPB Strumpshaw. If you come that way by car there is a Network Rail gatekeeper at the level crossing who will open the gates for you. Personally I always park by the station as the track from the railway to the river is often very productive

Alan Wooten

It is with great sadness that I have to report the passing of my friend and birding buddy of many years Alan Wooten, who died last night peacefully at home in Rushden, Northants. Alan is probably best known to Norfolk birders for finding the 2011 Citrine Wagtail at E Runton, but I remember him best for his uncanny ability to identify LBJ's by call. In his later years, Alan, like me, spent the summer months in E Runton, where he made many friends in the birding community, and also through his love of marathon running. I certainly struggled to keep up with him if we walked up Blakeney Point! He will be sadly missed. RIP, Alan.

Titchwell August 7th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 12 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 409 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Titchwell August 8th

Today's highlights

Green sandpiper - 1 on Patsy's reedbed early morning
Tree pipit - 1 west
Crossbill - 1 west
Curlew sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Med gull - adult on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 16 on fresh marsh then flew east
Spotted redshank - 3 on fresh marsh
Water rail - juv by Island Hide

Paul

Are the Stone Curlew still showing at Weeting Heath?
I can confirm they were still there last night. According to information boards, they're usually seen right through Aug & Sept, until migration time. I assume that's accurate although since the ones I saw last night were lifers I'm not exactly an expert. I also found out that, contrary to what the website says, the visitor centre is open daily (although it was closed by the time I got there, and I couldn't find out what the opening hours were).

One caution: when I got there at 6.30 I was told that the volunteer looking after the site had been intending to lock the gates early, but had kept it open longer because there was someone there who'd travelled a long way and the birds hadn't shown yet. If you're travelling any significant distance, I'd suggest contacting them in advance as it may be a bit hit and miss whether things are unlocked after visitor centre closing time. Locked gates wouldn't be the end of the world, but locked hides would mean no chance of viewing the birds.

Mrs_gss and I are planning a 3-day visit to East Anglia in mid September. We've never been to the region before. We're staying near Holt and our provisional plans are Titchwell, Minsmere and Cley (one each day). We're enthusiastic but fairly new and inexperienced birders so please be gentle!

One thing is I'm struggling to find any decent online "visitor" maps of the three reserves that we can look at before we arrive (location of hides, footpaths etc.). I've found a fairly OK one for Titchwell but the most adequate Minsmere map is very small (600 x 300) and I can't seem to find anything for Cley Marshes at all. Would anyone please be able to point me to a suitable link?

Thank you!

Hi Mike

If you look in Opus you will find links to the three reserves on the relevant articles. There are also Street Map links, which you can blow up to show where the tracks etc are.

Minsmere, Cley and Titchwell.

May I also recommend Sculthorpe Moor; not far from Titchwell. I've only just started that article but it gives you the basics. It's an excellent reserve.

I can confirm they were still there last night. According to information boards, they're usually seen right through Aug & Sept, until migration time. I assume that's accurate although since the ones I saw last night were lifers I'm not exactly an expert. I also found out that, contrary to what the website says, the visitor centre is open daily (although it was closed by the time I got there, and I couldn't find out what the opening hours were).

One caution: when I got there at 6.30 I was told that the volunteer looking after the site had been intending to lock the gates early, but had kept it open longer because there was someone there who'd travelled a long way and the birds hadn't shown yet. If you're travelling any significant distance, I'd suggest contacting them in advance as it may be a bit hit and miss whether things are unlocked after visitor centre closing time. Locked gates wouldn't be the end of the world, but locked hides would mean no chance of viewing the birds.

Thanks for that SA, it is very helpful. I have seen birds there in August in previous years but couldn't find any updates on the NWT web site.

:t:

Mrs_gss and I are planning a 3-day visit to East Anglia in mid September. We've never been to the region before. We're staying near Holt and our provisional plans are Titchwell, Minsmere and Cley (one each day). We're enthusiastic but fairly new and inexperienced birders so please be gentle!

One thing is I'm struggling to find any decent online "visitor" maps of the three reserves that we can look at before we arrive (location of hides, footpaths etc.). I've found a fairly OK one for Titchwell but the most adequate Minsmere map is very small (600 x 300) and I can't seem to find anything for Cley Marshes at all. Would anyone please be able to point me to a suitable link?

Thank you!

I thnk you'll find most of the RSPB reserve individual pages on their website have links to a decent enough map with info like this one

Titchwell August 10th

Today's highlights

Spotted crake - 1 on reed edge at the end of Autumn Trail
Dunlin - 205 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 12 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 97 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 478 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 7 on fresh marsh

Paul

Thank you!

Try this link for Cley, http://www.cleybirdclub.org.uk/cbc/news.asp?pageid=14

FAO Mike / Aberdeenshire #24569

Hi Mike
Hope these help. Enjoy your visit, beautiful area and great birding; hopefully your visit will coincide with favourable conditions for drift migrants.
Cley Marshes NWT - detailed map showing all locations and hides.
Minsmere RSPB - best map I can find is on a, er, tea coaster! |8.|
Best regards, Rob

Hi!

Thanks for the info everyone (yes, I found the coaster-maps too!). I do like to try and get a good overview on a place if I'm going there for the first time - all this will help very much.

Opus looks useful - I'd never really investigated it before now.

Looking forward to September :t:

Good general selection of birds on the new reservoir near Hardwick Roundabout, King's Lynn yesteday, when I did a little survey;)

Penny,
Google Earth antedates the new road layout, but the roads from Google Maps are superimposed over it. Any chance you could mark on one of those images 'X marks the spot'?
MJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back