• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (66 Viewers)

Titchwell August 12th

Today's highlights

Dunlin - 109 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 4 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 372 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 55 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 14 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Yellow legged gull - 1 (2 most evenings) roosting on fresh marsh

No sign of the white rumped sandpiper today

Paul

Titchwell August 13th

Today's highlights

Red crested pochard - 2 in reedbed
Spoonbill - 8 on fresh marsh
Bittern - 1 in flight over reedbed
Common sandpiper - flock of 9 on fresh marsh

I am now on leave until early September so there won't be any updates until I get back

Paul

Titchwell 17 August

In Paul's absence, today's highlights:

Spoonbill - 11 on the fresh marsh in the morning
Bittern - 1 in flight from the West Bank path
Arctic skua - 2 from beach

Also a report of a black-winged stilt for 10 minutes on Patsy's reedbed before flying west

Rob

A few pictures of the fabulous Icterine Warbler at Burnham Overy Dunes.

More pictures etc on my blog on 15th and 17th August.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_9753 crop.jpg
    IMG_9753 crop.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_9656 crop.jpg
    IMG_9656 crop.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0647 crop.jpg
    IMG_0647 crop.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 174
Superb pictures Penny.

However does anybody know anyone reliable who has seen this bird since 17th. The 18th was a washout, it was reported yesterday, but I met many down there who had only seen a Reed. Late morning the Reed was apparently pointed out as the Icterine. From what I hear much the same has happened today.
Will give it another go if I know it is not just miss identification.

ps Two Wood Sands at Kelling WM and two Whinchat, Gramborough with one or two Wheatears.

Last edited:
Superb pictures Penny.

However does anybody know anyone reliable who has seen this bird since 17th. The 18th was a washout, it was reported yesterday, but I met many down there who had only seen a Reed. Late morning the Reed was apparently pointed out as the Icterine. From what I hear much the same has happened today.
Will give it another go if I know it is not just miss identification.

ps Two Wood Sands at Kelling WM and two Whinchat, Gramborough with one or two Wheatears.
Thank you John. I just replied to your post on facebook. I'm sure you looked anyway, but the Icterine also favours the little gully of bushes, just east of the apple tree. Good Luck:t:

4 Guinea Fowl on the Fens between Feltwell and Southery - probably escapees.

Last week I was surrounded by about 20 while working in Battlesden in Bedfordshire.

Hello all,

A cut-and-paste job from my blog here. Wanted to share my big day on the patch from yesterday.

I had been meaning to do this for some time, and with a clear day forecast and little migrant activity on the coast I set off from Langley Dyke at 9.30am on the 21st with the eventual aim of having a late lunch at Surlingham Ferry. The route followed the Wherryman's Way to a large extent, and much of it was riverbank walking, taking me through every inch of the patch bar Church Marsh at the other end. Church Marsh itself threw up a flyover Greenshank on the 15th, but I did not intend to do the circuit here today.

I added many common species to my day list at Langley, including Green Woodpecker, Stock Dover, Kingfisher, Kestrel and Pied Wagtail. An early fillip came in the shape of not 1 but 3 Little Egret resting in the grazing field, a patch record (maximum 2 birds at Church Marsh briefly a few years ago). Heading away from the marsh and walking through rural residential areas I was pleased to see 3 separate House Sparrow colonies and the odd group of Greenfinch. The Beauchamp Arms in Claxton was my first obvious stop, and en route I ticked off Coal Tit, Song Thrush and best of all a calling Willow Warbler. It was here I discovered the camera had no battery, complete lack of planning.

10.30 seemed a little early for a pint, so I pushed on with the river now directly on my right. A few fisherman were chancing their luck, AI understand the swims here can be productive. With the day warming up, not many species were added between here and Rockland Broad, save for a Reed Bunting, Linnet and a late family of Reed Warbler making a racket from deep in the phragmites.

I positioned myself in the hide, lamenting the lack of wildfowl to myself when a female Marsh Harrier cruised by and a Common Tern alighted from a boy. Two expected, but nonetheless decent birds for the day list. The Tern then made an almighty noise, alarm calling and flying higher above the tree line. It's target? An Osprey! A massive bird, even compared to the female Harrier who joined the Tern on harassing the fish-eagle. The 3 jostled for around one minute before the Osprey headed off east. Wow. I knew I had seen the bird of the day and indeed one of the birds of the year on the patch. I have contrived to miss Osprey in the previous 2 years here, and the year in which it appears scarcer than ever in The Broads is indeed the year I connect! I left the hide on 49 species, a patch lifer, and keen for a beer to celebrate.

Pint of Trawlerboys at the New Inn, second only to the irrepressible Little Sharpie as beer of the day. It was now approaching midday, and so followed a lean spell in terms of new birds. Heading across country towards Wheatfen, Bullfinch and Great-spotted Woodpecker were welcome additions. Little activity at the fen, so I headed on to the next scheduled stop at Coldham Hall. Here I enjoyed a nice pint of Fatcat Bitter, saw a Kingfisher and heard a Cettis' Warbler. By now the birds had taken a back seat to the beer and the idea of finishing the patch walk, so I dumped my bag at home and headed down to The Ferry. Fully expecting the day to be done as I tucked into a Bacon baguette and pint of said Sharpie, 2 Common Sandpiper flew low upstream. A patch year tick! With a Wader species in the bag for the day, I was content to head home for a kip, only for a group of the local House Martins to alert me to the presence of a male Sparrowhawk as I neared the house. Day done, 54 species, and what about that Osprey!

Looked back over my notes for the day, and noticed an absence of both Great Tit and Starling? Presumably down to time of year because both species are often present in or around my garden which of course I passed on route to The Ferry. Mistle Thrush didn't show today, but I find they often don't at this time of year. Skylark have stopped singing but will be present, and I perhaps could have tried for Nuthatch in Surlingham Wood. 60 species certainly do-able in August, and I hope to compare today's outcome not just with next year but in Winter and Spring too. Using Buckenham (birds seen from the patch) maybe 70 species is possible in the Autumn?

Thanks Nigel.

Looks like today has been the first day of Autumn proper, lots of Pied Flys arriving along with some scarce. Coast in the morning!

Jim.

Blakeney Point was hard work, late afternoon and only produced 2 Wheatears, a Starling and an Acro sp for me!!! See blog for full write up.

Penny:girl:

Not quite the day I had hoped for on the north coast. An unexpectedly clear night probably led to the clearout of yesterday's birds. The Booted wasn't playing ball despite a report from 10.45am. A couple of Pied Fly were in the bushes on the hill, a Wheatear foraged nearby and less than a handful of Willow Warblers had hung on into today. 3 Whimbrel flew east; 2 more went the same way later in the morning.
I departed to Wareham Greens, scoring 2 Pied Flycatchers, 5+ Willow and Chiffchaff, Lesser Whitethroat and Connor and Kayn coming back From East Hills where they had 30 Pied Fly. Not a day for rare in the end, or was it? Terek Sandpiper reported over Salthouse Little Eye. By chance I arrived here 10 minutes after this message appeared on RBA webpage but could find no-one to talk to about the sighting.

Cheers,
Jim.

Titchwell RSPB this morning held a good number of birds. Highlights were single Pied Fly and Whinchat, 10 Little Stint and 3 juv Curlew Sands on freshmarsh, with c200 Dunlin and the usual Godwits of both types plenty of Ringed Plover and 2 LRP. Whimbrels on saltmarsh with Greenshank and Common Sands and calling Spotshank. A Common Seal hauled out on the beach with numbers of Common and Sandwich Terns resting. Mixed variety of waders on the tide line. Gannets and Scoter well out to sea. A good mornings birding.

thanks for the update harrier 1234 was heding to titchwell myself today but the dreaded work popped up and spoilt my birding plans always tomorrow martin5657

Titchwell 25 August

In Paul's absence, today's highlights:

Spoonbill - up to 9 moving between fresh marsh and saltmarsh
Water rail - 1
Peregrine - 1 over
Short-eared owl - 1 over Thornham marsh
Hobby - 1 over
Bittern - 1 over Patsy's reedbed

Good selection of waders on the fresh marsh including:

Wood sandpiper - 1
Curlew sandpiper - 2 juvs
Little stint - 6+
Greenshank - 1
Dunlin - 100+
Common sandpiper - 1
Whimbrel - flyover
Black-tailed godwit - 250
Bar-tailed godwit - 25
LRP - 2
Ringed plover - 20

Rob

Cley is still attracting roosting gulls of interest, with several Yellow-legged, some odd hybrids, three Caspian Gulls (of three ages) and two Baltic Gulls (adult and juvenile) amongst the LBB Gulls on Pats Pool during the last two evenings. But a note of caution, weekend evenings are often less predictable. Also, the two juvenile limosa Black-tailed Godwits were present again tonight, but no sign of the breeding-plumaged adult.

Richard,

Why would weekends have an impact on gulls coming in to roost at Cley - I'm guessing it's linked to increased human prescence in some form or perhaps reduced observer coverage at weekends?

Thank you, Pat

I think most likely it is changes in activity at favoured feeding sites (eg tips shut, field drilling halted etc) that upset their routines.
Some numbers of LBB Gulls did come in tonite, but fewer and far later than usual, and with a higher proportion of Herrings (inc a sec-w argentatus) dropping in. There were five Yellow-leggeds, but no Baltic nor any Caspians.
Neither of the juv limosas appeared either, but they are erratic visitors.

Great white egret at Strumpshaw reserve this morning, in front of the Tower hide at 07:45. Still there when I left.

Attachments

• DSC_0318.JPG
    DSC_0318.JPG
    603.6 KB · Views: 98

Users who are viewing this thread

Back