• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (3 Viewers)

I guess so; he said it was very faded although still a strong flier. I've not tried for them for a few years so really must make the effort next summer...

James

Small and Large White

I am currently growing sprouts in the garden and I noticed a few of the aboves caterpillers.

But now over the last few weeks we have become infested I dont want to kill them as butterflies have a hard time anyway, but does anyone know if they will eat anything else if I moved them?

Or could I buy a cabbage and keep them in a box?

Hope someone can help.

Gary

Many (bout 20) second generation wall browns today at Holme NWT, along the grass track to the first hide, also plenty of other species including small copper.

Lightthiscandle I am worried the little men in white coats will come and take me away I utter that sacred name. ;)

Well, there was one at Minsmere recently...

My pet term is "cardboard box job" - as that's what the guys carry them round in before they release them - or just "shed", as that's where they were raised. Officially of course I don't approve...

(But at least two species on the Norfolk list are only here because of unofficial releases - one of which is White Admiral, brought here in the 1920's)

...but really I just wish they'd let me know about them so we can discount them from the migration stats.

re Camberwells, we get a few every year but some years we get a little boom. 2006 was the last one, we had over 100 sightings - most years we get 4-6. The best place to find one is near to a plum tree with rotting fruit on the ground.

Chalkhill Blues

For anyone who fancies a look, the Chalkhill Blues at Warham Fort were showing well in the week.

Simon

Attachments

• Chalk Hill Blue1.jpg
    Chalk Hill Blue1.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Chalk Hill Blue2.jpg
    Chalk Hill Blue2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 69
Hi,

Just come back from a week in Norfolk and thought you might be interested in an outsider's perspective of the local butterflies and differences compared to my local patch (Surrey)

First thing to say is that we weren't there for any sort of specific butterfly hunt, but we were out and about walking every day, mainly in the NW corner around Snettisham, Holme, Titchwell etc and were camping at Sandringham, so we did at least see a bit of the countryside!

There is no doubt that there were generally a good deal more butterflies than I am used to seeing - in particular Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells, Common Blues and Painted Ladies.....saw a fair few PLs in Surrey when the migration was in full swing, but been getting a good deal quieter these last few weeks....Some fine sights, where we saw 3-4 dozen PLs, STs and Ps all together on attractive patches of wildflowers...plus any buddleia that we saw was guaranteed to be smothered (but no Camberwells!)

Saw a few Brown Argus and Small Copper - much the same as I would expect to find on my local patch...

Stars of the show though were Walls and Grayling, neither of which I have ever seen in Surrey! (not 100% sure of the status of Grayling, but I have heard that Walls haven't been seen in my neck of the woods for quite a few years, so to see so many up in Norfolk was a real thrill.

Interesting that I didn't see any Ringlets at all - I know it's right at the end of their flight period, but I was seeing loads of them on my local patch pretty-much up to the day we left for Norfolk, so not sure if they are a bit less common.

All in all, a great week for butterflies and a nice change from Surrey. Mind you, we do get quite a few White Admirals down here, and also a few unmentionables!!

All the best... Ray

Ringlets seem to have had a rotten year this year - certainly compared to last year, which was their best for ages.

I regret not making any species counts now as I was quite happy that I was seeing more Ringlets along my lane than last year. Perhaps there have been localised population fluctuations although you're in the best position Dad, with county records at your disposal, to make a better judgement. What do others think?

A quick question; how is the Wall Brown faring in the county at present?

James

While ringlets were still abundant at Swanton Novers this year numbers were down by about a third on an average year and their main flight period finnished much earlier than normal ( big numbers usualy last most of July , but numbers dropped fast after the second week ) , though a very few tatty specimens are still lingering.

The peak numbers on the butterfly survey are usualy the first or second week of July and made up mainly of ringlets and meadow browns , but the first week of August saw the bigest count ( over 800 ). The bulk was up of small skippers , meadow browns , peacocks , painted ladies and whites GV and LG.

Walls are never a common species for us , but about 6 have been recorded so far this year.

you're in the best position Dad, with county records at your disposal, to make a better judgement.

Ahh, but most records come in at the end of the season - all I have to go on at the moment is a subjective feel for what I'm seeing out and about, and a few web posts and emails. You'll have to wait till next February for a formal pronouncement!;)

Walls seem to have had a good year - I've certainly seen more of the first brood than I can ever remember, and there's been a fair trickle of people reporting them for the second brood that's flying now.

I had two stunning fresh red admirals today at Holt country park - now that's a species that seems to have not done well this year. Gatekeeper feel up on last year, as do small tort- holly blue down, particularly second brood - I've only seen two! Anyone else's thoughts?

I had two stunning fresh red admirals today at Holt country park - now that's a species that seems to have not done well this year. Gatekeeper feel up on last year, as do small tort- holly blue down, particularly second brood - I've only seen two! Anyone else's thoughts?

It's purely a subjective judgement but I've hardly seen any Red Admirals this year locally in NW Norfolk, whereas last year I saw good numbers. Gatekeepers seem to be everywhere and small tort seem in higher numbers than last year. Not a single Holly Blue so far but I'm now seeing good numbers of Wall Browns. Peacocks don't seem to be as numerous either.

Irene

I had a birder in the watchpoint today at Swanton Novers claiming a possible southern white admiral he saw at Holkham during the week. I am no expert on the species , but the images he had on his camera was interesting , but it was hard to make out detail on the digital image window. He is going home at the weekend and promised to email a photo of it to me . Until then I am reserving judgement , but if it looks good I will post in on the forum.

The main reason for this post is it would a good idea to give any white admirals you see over the next few days a second look before their flight period finishes for the year. Usually the white admiral flight period lasts between the last week of June and the first few days of August at swanton Novers . This year they were a week late appearing and seemed to be over by the 21st of August. Then after two weeks absence we saw five last week. I never looked at any of them that closely , which might have been a mistake.

We've had one claim of Southern White Admiral two years ago - based mostly on the date I suspect, the photo clearly showed a normal WA.

White admirals are increasingly having second (third?) broods in warm years. Here's the last 6 years earliest/latest dates:
Code:
26-Jun-02	28-Jul-02     27-Sep-02	
21-Jun-03	27-Jul-03     25-Aug-03     27-Sep-03
09-Jun-04	04-Aug-04		
19-Jun-05	17-Aug-05     23-Sep-05	
23-Jun-06	29-Jul-06     16-Sep-06     30-Sep-06
22-Jun-07	12-Aug-07     07-Oct-07	
22-Jun-08	06-Aug-08     18-Sep-08     18-Oct-08

I've shown the first brood flight period in the first two columns, then the subsequent brood. Just one date implies a single observation: two dates - a series of sightings between those dates. The october dates may even imply a third brood. Welcome to a globally warmed world!

Last edited:
Correction

This year they were a week late appearing and seemed to be over by the 21st of August.

The last date should read 21st of July , not August.

0n the 26th a very note worthy record a Hummingbird Hawk-moth Macroglossum stellatarum feeding in the garden :bounce:! A species I've always wanted to see and have visited a few sites trying to find them and in the end one end up in the garden typical ;).l

Rob

P.s. Are garden is in an urban area of King's Lynn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back