• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

It seems the village and clifftop are alive with butterflies at the moment, there are literally thousand's of Large Whites on the wing here; it's quite magical to look at a large Buddleia engulfed by a swarm of them vying for the best flowers. Painted Ladies are here in very good numbers, hundreds I'd say, but Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock are poorly represented at the moment. Single Brimstone noted too but pride of place goes to a superb Clouded Yellow feeding on the patch of Red Clover that has grown back since being mown a few weeks ago. It's a shame that I inadvertently left my camera on the side this morning... |:(|

James

Matt, yes that's Brown Argus - do you have a grid reference? We've a distinct lack of records from the Long Stratton, Harleston, Bungay triangle.

Thanks for the ID confirmation!

The grid ref is TM247 814 (south of Shotford heath, Weybread fishing complex) The site where I saw the three specimans was actually behind the now dissused sand and gravel extraction site, the area is basically a sand bowl left to go wild and return to something that resembles natural heath! There is a public footpath that leads into the site but I've never actually managed to track it through the old works!!

On looking at the maps closer, technically the sighting was on the Suffolk side of the river Waverney...only by about half a km though!

Some overviews of the general area to show it's potential for birds aswell as butterflies etc..

Matt

Attachments

• weybread 026 (Custom).jpg
    weybread 026 (Custom).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 70
  • weybread 031 (Custom).jpg
    weybread 031 (Custom).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 61
  • weybread 036 (Custom).jpg
    weybread 036 (Custom).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Purple Hairstreak?

Not seen one before but presume the attached pic is of a (worn) Purple Hairstreak which was by Felbrigg Lake yesterday?

The underwing which I didn't get a pic of, as it was only there briefly before disappearing back up into the trees, had a white line parallel with the edge of the wings with an orange spot at the bottom.

Simon

Attachments

• Purple Hairstreak.jpg
    Purple Hairstreak.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Yes Simon, it appears to be a Purple Hairstreak.

Up to 18 Peacocks were on a small patch of flowers by our garden pond today as can be seen in the pic below. A Painted Lady and Small Tortoiseshell added variety. Note the arse end of a Hornet dismantling a fly to the right of the lowest Peacock (you may need magnifier!). The Skipper I suspect is an Essex; would someone be able to confirm for me please?

There were less butterflies along the coastal fringe here today although Large Whites were still passing over at height as I watched a Hobby circling over the garden this morning...

James

Attachments

• DSCN2978.JPG
    DSCN2978.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN2985.JPG
    DSCN2985.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 77
Yes Simon, it appears to be a Purple Hairstreak.

The Skipper I suspect is an Essex; would someone be able to confirm for me please?

James

Thanks James

Amazingly having never seen one before, I managed to chance upon some more PH's today on the outskirts of Cromer! They were keeping to the tree canopy but you could get reasonable scope views of the underwings when they landed.

Yes I'd say your Skipper is an Essex. The black undersides to the tips of the antennae are diagnostic. Pic of one I found recently at Sidestrand attached.

Regards

Simon

Attachments

• Essex Skipper1.jpg
    Essex Skipper1.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Just had a set of records that added purple hairstreak to 7 tetrads near bungay - basically they were found in every tetrad searched. Clearly a very good year for them.
Good essex photos in both cases - always tricky to get the antennae in focus and the rest of the insect.
I'm running a walk on Mousehold tomorrow as part of the "Wild about Mousehold" event that's running all day (www.wam.webeden.co.uk). Several other walks being run as well by other folk.

Just had a set of records that added purple hairstreak to 7 tetrads near bungay - basically they were found in every tetrad searched. Clearly a very good year for them.
Good essex photos in both cases - always tricky to get the antennae in focus and the rest of the insect.
I'm running a walk on Mousehold tomorrow as part of the "Wild about Mousehold" event that's running all day (www.wam.webeden.co.uk). Several other walks being run as well by other folk.

Was there any sign of White Admirals at Mousehold? I went to Holt on Sunday to try and photograph them but it was too dull. Plenty of Gatekeepers and whites about, and Common Blue (5), Brown Argus (1) and Essex Skipper (3) at Cley East Bank

None seen on either walk but they were seen by the warden on the saturday above the vinegar pond, and behind the bandstand. There are purple hairstreaks on the evergreen oak in the car park at Zaks - which makes a nice easy spot to direct people to.
Apart from Holt there's a good spot just into the woodland walk at strumpshaw - a bramble bank where the path turns, and Foxley wood is supposedly good (though I never make it there to check them out.)

Camberwell Beauties

Re Camberwell's - I once worked out that the odds of seeing one in Norfolk on a random day out were about the same as getting 5 numbers on the lottery - so congratulations.

I would be interested in more info on this species, I think its widely considered to be the Holy Grail of Norfolk butterlies but I'd like to know what the average number per year are, whether there have ever been any noticeable influxes and where they come from. Also be interested to know how many people have actually seen one. My only record was when I was working in a garden in August if I recall correctly and saw one either resting or feeding on sap on an apple tree, I disturbed it and it flew very powerfully away and over the tree tops, I believe this is typical behaviour/location/season, but also believe you need to be really lucky to chance upon one,

Many thanks, Mark Fleming.

I have seen 3. One at Holkham about 20 years ago and around the same time one at Pensthorpe. More recently 2 spring records both from Swanton Novers. One in May 2007 and a second not seen by me , but reported by a good insect guy last May.

Had a bit of a surprise along the lane today at TG 384 285; I assume it was one that had wandered from Horsey/Winterton. Couldn't get a photo so had to make do with this video grab...

James

Attachments

• Dark Green Frit~Happisburgh 30-07-2009.jpg
    Dark Green Frit~Happisburgh 30-07-2009.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 92
Camberwell Beauty

Here's a video grab of the Hopton Garden Centre specimen! At one point it was walking about on my finger!

Attachments

• Camberwell B.jpg
    Camberwell B.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 108
Ladybird species

Be interested to know what other species have been assocaited with this influx and to put some names to them.
At Cley this week, 7 spot in plague proportions but also a few 14-spot yellow ones- Propylea 14-punctata - as mentioned but Firtreesjohn. I have seen 1 11 spot and there has been a small 22 spot yellow one. Finally there has also been a black one with two red spots - obviously a total novice on these can anyone help out.

Did it look like this one? It was at Walcott recently with 000's of 7-spots and a few 14-spots. It wouldn't stay still at all, hence the blurry shot. I think it's a Harlequin Ladybird Harmonia axyridis var. conspicua. I found some info here with a photo of a very similar looking specimen and more useful info can be found here...

James

Attachments

• Unknown~Walcott~270709.JPG
    Unknown~Walcott~270709.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 67
Zak's!

Good numbers of Purple Hairstreaks in the Live Oak in Zak's carpark: at least 15 counted on different parts of the tree at 10.00am today. While mostly high in the canopy, a few came down to just above head height, but 'scuttled' into the leaf bases in double quick time!

6 clouded yellows in the River Wensum Valley , 6 miles below Fakenham on Friday plus, several small copper , a dozen common blue and peacocks , ringlets , gatekeepers , and SM , LG and GV whites.

From the Wensum Valley Watchpoint I saw an unusual very large , dark butterfly ( 25% bigger than a large white ) dancing and gliding like a huge white admiral around the top of an Oak tree some 200 yards off. I only saw it through my bins as by the time I got my scope up it had gone. My initial thought was of a large woodland butterfly that went extinct in Norfolk back in the early 70s at Foxley. But I did not get good enough views to claim it.. It was more likely to be an escape of some sort from one of the several butterfly breeding collections in the county.

Did it look like this one? It was at Walcott recently with 000's of 7-spots and a few 14-spots. It wouldn't stay still at all, hence the blurry shot. I think it's a Harlequin Ladybird Harmonia axyridis var. conspicua. I found some info here with a photo of a very similar looking specimen and more useful info can be found here...

James

yes thanks, thats the chap, saw another 22 spot yellow and black - very small one today, also saw a boat that was literally smothered with ladybirds todays - easily 2000!

"From the Wensum Valley Watchpoint I saw an unusual very large , dark butterfly ( 25% bigger than a large white ) dancing and gliding like a huge white admiral around the top of an Oak tree some 200 yards off. "

Go on: you know you want tp say it! I'll help!

Pu**** Em*****
LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back