• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (7 Viewers)

Small Copper on the beat in Norwich

Had a single small copper in the wood yard on Barn Rd Norwich this afternoon.
By it's beaten up appearance, it could well have come in with one of the lorries or trucks from elsewhere.

Stopped at Leziate country park yesterday on way to Stamford - 7 Dingy Skipper, 2 Holly Blue, 2 Green Hairstreak, 1 Small Copper, 1 Large White, 4 Orange Tip - also 2 Mother Shipton and 1 Cinnabar moth.

Lots of 'blue' damsel flies as well - ID's hopefully after studying photo's!

Foulden common today had a few dingy & grizzled skipper flying. Moth-wise there was burnet companion & latticed heath.

Attachments

• P1030685.jpg
    P1030685.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 53
1 Swallowtail seen by us at Strumpshaw today, flew over the reed bed by the wooden bridge after you've crossed the railway line near to the end of Tinkers Lane.

Cheers
Steve

A couple of Cinnabar Moths in the garden yesterday plus several Orange-tips and a couple of Holly Blues. A Speckled Wood near the pits was surprisingly my first of the year!

Chris

Small colony of Marsh Fritillaries in north Norfolk !

Shock and awe this afters, when I saw the first of these.

In all, there were probably over a half-dozen.

I am not sure I am in a position to reveal the site, until I’ve had a ‘phone call from someone. However, it is probable they’ve been released- possibly last year.

A Mother Shipton moth was in close proximity.

Attachments

• 049pse.jpg
    049pse.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 019pse.jpg
    019pse.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 55
  • 107pse.jpg
    107pse.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 71
  • 083pse.jpg
    083pse.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Shock and awe this afters, when I saw the first of these.

In all, there were probably over a half-dozen.

I am not sure I am in a position to reveal the site, until I’ve had a ‘phone call from someone. However, it is probable they’ve been released- possibly last year.

A Mother Shipton moth was in close proximity.

I had to look again there John- wow! Why do you think a release was probable? Distance to nearest breeding in the UK?

Finally some Butterfly action. 3 Holly Blue at Surlingham Church Marsh yesterday, and one back here in Norwich. At the former site, plenty of Whites, Orange Tips and Peacock on the wing, beautiful.

Cheers,
Jim.

Not as exciting as previous posts but lovely to see loads of Brimstones on a quick walk around the outside of Scarning Fen today. Didn't do an accurate count but at least 10.

At least 2 Swallowtails on the Lackford Run at Strumpshaw today, one of them having a series of aerial battles with a Peacock. They seemed to be feeding on Willow in the absence of nectar flowers. Lots of Orange Tips, a couple of Brimstones and a few Blues which didn't settle, so I don't know what sort.

Ron

Attachments

• Swallowtail 2012 1a.jpg
    Swallowtail 2012 1a.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Swallowtail 2012 2a.jpg
    Swallowtail 2012 2a.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Distance to nearest breeding in the UK?

Jim: the nearest breeding site is (was?) Chambers Farm Wood in Lincs. (where they were introduced) and some 60 miles as the frit flits.

Otherwise, they’re in force in central southern England, the south-west and west Wales, according to: http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/distribution.php?species=aurinia
and:
http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/Butterfly/32/Butterfly.html?ButterflyId=10

Still no call or email, to ‘allow’ me to disclose the site.

Jim: the nearest breeding site is (was?) Chambers Farm Wood in Lincs. (where they were introduced) and some 60 miles as the frit flits.

Otherwise, they’re in force in central southern England, the south-west and west Wales, according to: http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/distribution.php?species=aurinia
and:
http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/Butterfly/32/Butterfly.html?ButterflyId=10

Still no call or email, to ‘allow’ me to disclose the site.

I had no idea that you knew those in the know, John. Oh, to know!
I had not realised there was a breeding colony as close as Lincs; I was aware their usual haunts were further South. Having consulted The Butterfly Book, I see no reason why Norfolk could not sustain a population.

Barton was positively baking yesterday, good few male Brimstones, Orange Tips and an unsexed Holly Blue were all on the wing.

Cheers,
Jim.

small heath

I saw my first green hairstreak at mousehold on Saturday along with three small coppers and an orange tip.

Can anyone tell me if there is anywhere around Norwich where there is a good place to see the small heath butterfly? I have had a look in several places and never seem to see one. The millennium Atlas of butterflies shows them well distributed throughout Norfolk but does say that they are reclining and I wondered if this trend is still continuing?

Thanks, Paul

I had no idea that you knew those in the know, John. Oh, to know!

an unsexed Holly Blue . . on the wing.

Even though I know those in the know, I know I don’t always know what they know, when they know it, you know, Jim.

Poor Holly, no wonder she has the blues. Perhaps she’ll ‘get a bit’ shortly.

Small Heaths were out on the north coast last weekend.

Nice to meet Andy Brazil (HarassedDad and our Recorder), at last.

We watched possibly, to my eyes, one or two fewer Marsh Fritillaries than yesterday- but in the same locations. Despite the presence of an accomplished botanist, we could find no sign of any Scabious plants.

However, today two pairs (?) spiralled, in apparent courtship display (?). One lives in hope that they were male-female couples and ‘get it together’ successfully.

More Small Coppers on the wing today, in increased heat.

Attachments

• 067pse.jpg
    067pse.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back