• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk fungi (1 Viewer)

Scarlet Elf Cups

Plenty of Scarlet Elf Cups showing well today, either side of the path between car park and visitor centre at Titchwell - the best but inaccessible specimens being in water about 10 metres north of the path.

That's interesting to know - it doesn't look like there is a record for either Sarcoscypha coccinea or S. austriaca for the 10km square with Titchwell in on the NBN database. If any Titchwell staff or regulars have access to a microscope and could confirm which species it is then that would be a good record to add to the county database.

Plenty of Scarlet Elf Cups showing well today, either side of the path between car park and visitor centre at Titchwell - the best but inaccessible specimens being in water about 10 metres north of the path.

A rather beautiful drawing of Sarcoscypha coccinea was Wiki-found.

Also, a page from an ID guide I won’t be Russian to translate.

On Sarcoscypha austriaca, it is said: “On the outside of the cup the hairs are curly or corkscrew shaped”, although, later, “Examination of microscopic features is often required to definitively differentiate between the species.”

Attachments

• Sarcoscypha coccinea.jpg
    Sarcoscypha coccinea.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Sarcoscypha coccinea ID guide.jpg
    Sarcoscypha coccinea ID guide.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 51
Tony Leech, county fungi recorder, will happily id to species if someone sends him a specimen or spore print. Details for him and all the other recorders are here

Willow Brackets at Whitlingham Marsh today, looking photogenic amongst the moss.

Attachments

• IMGP4455 (800x600).jpg
    IMGP4455 (800x600).jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP4456 (800x600).jpg
    IMGP4456 (800x600).jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 34
I found this green jelly-like substance at Whitlingham today. I presumed that it was a fungus, but I now think that it's the fruiting body of a type of cyanobacteria called Nostoc. People used to think that it may have fallen from the sky, calling it 'Star Jelly'.

Attachments

• IMGP4670 (800x602).jpg
    IMGP4670 (800x602).jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 53
1 - is a type of Ink Cap (Coprinus/Coprinopsis sp). They spread their spores by autodigestion, with the cap turning to ink from the edge inwards as you can see on your photo. Your one may be Common Ink Cap (Coprinopsis atramentaria).

2 - Yeah you're right, Common Stinkhorn. There is also a much rarer dune species and a similar but much smaller species called Dog Stinkhorn.

Hey all,

Just wondered if someone could help me identify these two Fungi?

1) http://showingwell.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/img_8651.jpg

2) http://showingwell.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/img_8636.jpg Common Stinkhorn(?)

Thanks guys,

Kieran

1 - is a type of Ink Cap (Coprinus/Coprinopsis sp). They spread their spores by autodigestion, with the cap turning to ink from the edge inwards as you can see on your photo. Your one may be Common Ink Cap (Coprinopsis atramentaria).

2 - Yeah you're right, Common Stinkhorn. There is also a much rarer dune species and a similar but much smaller species called Dog Stinkhorn.

Thanks, James. We always mention you as we walk round and photograph anything we are unsure of these days, saying 'Another one for, James'.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back