• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk mammals (5 Viewers)

Truly amazing sight yesterday at dusk 74 wild red deer in Norfolk. I wont give the location away on the internet.

Some more Norfolk mammals, Winterton & Strumpshaw

Attachments

• DSCN8087.jpg
    DSCN8087.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN8079 (1024x771).jpg
    DSCN8079 (1024x771).jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 85
A large adult dog Otter killed [R.T.A] on the Wissington factory road outside Wereham overnight, The road is surrounded by open farmland and is at least a mile and half from the new cut river, so it seems Otters travel extensively away from water during the hours of darkness.

Bat

Please can anyone ID this bat taken early March in Thetford?

Please email me privately if you need a larger image.

Thanks.

Robin

Attachments

• 008 Bat species Thetford Norfolk UK GB March 2013 cp 130dpi.jpg
    008 Bat species Thetford Norfolk UK GB March 2013 cp 130dpi.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 147

Thanks.

Robin

Hi Robin,
Lovely photo. What size are we talking? Flight pattern? Amongst trees or open ground? I have my suspicions but could do with a few details.
Cheers,
Jim.

Bat i/d is not straightforward from such photos Robin but if it was small it was almost certainly a pipistrelle - the profile and coloration are consistent with both spp (common & soprano) which are our commonest bats. To seperate these two you'd need a detector or to see them in the hand.

James H

Thanks.

Robin

Bat

Hi Robin,
Lovely photo. What size are we talking? Flight pattern? Amongst trees or open ground? I have my suspicions but could do with a few details.
Cheers,
Jim.

Bat i/d is not straightforward from such photos Robin but if it was small it was almost certainly a pipistrelle - the profile and coloration are consistent with both spp (common & soprano) which are our commonest bats. To seperate these two you'd need a detector or to see them in the hand.

James H

Thanks for your replies. It was pretty small, flying erratically at height of about 20 meters by tall trees with open grass areas ie to west of the Nuns' Bridges in Thetford.

Thanks

Robin

I visited the Thetford otters today - thanks for help with directions to those responsible :) the views were indeed incredible.

While I was there, photographers were luring the animal with fish strategically placed on the bank and an otter was brazenly approaching to within 2 feet of the crowd. Can this be a good idea? Otters are powerful animals and if a child gets bitten then PR in the town will be a major issue. The paths are used by lots of dog walkers too, and 'tame' otters are likely to come into conflict with dogs and/or cars. Is the feeding a recent development? Or something that has been going on for some time? I did feel quite uneasy by the behavious of those on-site.

As somebody who was very keen that these otters should be seen by a wider audience, perhaps I made a rash decision. Oh why oh why do people do this. There is no need to:cat:

I visited the Thetford otters today - thanks for help with directions to those responsible :) the views were indeed incredible.

While I was there, photographers were luring the animal with fish strategically placed on the bank and an otter was brazenly approaching to within 2 feet of the crowd. Can this be a good idea? Otters are powerful animals and if a child gets bitten then PR in the town will be a major issue. The paths are used by lots of dog walkers too, and 'tame' otters are likely to come into conflict with dogs and/or cars. Is the feeding a recent development? Or something that has been going on for some time? I did feel quite uneasy by the behavious of those on-site.

There is a thread on the Thetford Otters here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=251619

I believe a photographer ignored a request from a local birder who asked if they would stop feeding the otters yesterday. It is a recent development by visiting photographers. Local people are trying to discourage this but it is falling on deaf ears.

Hmm if people are hand feeding them and lose the odd finger will that give the Otters a taste for human flesh as well as the chickens they seem to be enjoying?

Have sat on the bank and had great shots of them, agree some people do chase them around but to be fair, they seem to be great show offs and there are areas where they can (and do!) disappear if they need a break.

I had hoped the feeding of the otters would stay off of BF but 2 threads running with the news seems to make that highly unlikely. I fear that even negative comments about it will simply put the idea into the heads of others who are yet to visit, rather than discourage them.

The initial photographer (to my knowledge anyway) who fed the otters was feeding trout away from the crowds and ahead of the otters path to try to avoid associating food with humans. Sadly, others have since caught on and I've have seen people throwing sprats at the otters like some sort of performing seal!!! The "initial photographer" is now discouraging people from feeding the otters when he is on site. If enough people do this then hopefully it will bring an end to the feeding (it's been about 2 weeks now which is too long for my liking).

As Viv says, the otters do frequent areas where they are undisturbed and the fact that they keep returning to public areas suggests they aren't overly bothered by being followed around - at times they even seem to enjoy the occasional dramatic splash!

Enjoy the amazing views if you go but please don't take any fish with you, you really don't need it!!!

Chris

Hmmm, everyone makes a rash decision from time to time Mark ;)

Personally, I am grateful the photographer is now discouraging others from feeding the otters. Hopefully others will do likewise.

Bearing in mind that a representative from Springwatch was asking for information about the Thetford Otters here recently, I suspect that there will be even more people visiting them if they are still around in a few weeks.

Ron

Hmmm, everyone makes a rash decision from time to time Mark ;)

Personally, I am grateful the photographer is now discouraging others from feeding the otters. Hopefully others will do likewise.

Hmmm. You might have a point Chris;) Would not waste trout on luring Otters though:cat:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back