• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Fish (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner said:
Tasty these things... more so than cod?
Similar life-cycle to liver-flukes in sheep then. Probably best to keep away from snails as well as cod by the looks of it.

The parasite in cod I was thinking of is a worm the size of a small earth-worm. I saw a picture of one in a fish once and have lived in fear of coming across one in my cod-and-chips ever since....

On the BBC News last night they were talking to a fisherman from NE Scotland and he was saying most of the haddock they were catching were young fish. He seemed to think there was a problem with them too.

The adults do get picked out.. it the earlier stages that sneak in to the battered fish products. Bad news about the Haddock.. I had read that they were at a 30 year high.. the trouble was how to catch them without killing Cod.

DJ Sideboard said:
It is odd that as Island people, none of whom really live far from the sea we don't have much interest in seafood. In west scotland there are fantastic large langoustine caught in the bays, the majority of which are exported whilst we eat tiny tasteless imported frozen prawns.......

It is odd... what is that all about then... I was on Skye a few years back and in renowned restaurant..... there were Mussels on the menu.... and the rocks in view of the table were covered in lovely specimens.... HOWEVER.. the mussels on the menu were green-lipped, flown in from New Zealand....

How can that possibly be viable...though clearly it is. Aviation fuel is clearly too cheap!

Jane Turner said:
It is odd... what is that all about then... I was on Skye a few years back and in renowned restaurant..... there were Mussels on the menu.... and the rocks in view of the table were covered in lovely specimens.... HOWEVER.. the mussels on the menu were green-lipped, flown in from New Zealand....

How can that possibly be viable...though clearly it is. Aviation fuel is clearly too cheap!

Well the EU has made it's recommendations a little less severe than yesterdays science report recommended : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4078481.stm

Yes aviation fuel is far too cheap!

Richard

Its funny... and I know this is a little diversion.. but during the fuel protests I was surprised to see Farmers joining in....

Is it just me... but in an economy where it makes economic sense for Sheep to spend most of the first months of their short lives on the road, or to fly lamb in from New Zealand...when we have more than enough at home..... a huge hike in transport costs might have tipped things back in their favour....wrt the stranglehold of large supermarkets and the ignorance of consumers.

DJ Sideboard said:
It is odd that as Island people, none of whom really live far from the sea we don't have much interest in seafood. In west scotland there are fantastic large langoustine caught in the bays, the majority of which are exported whilst we eat tiny tasteless imported frozen prawns.......
Actually most of the tiny tasteless prawns are from the north Atlantic and with langoustines retailing at £20-£40/kg it's hardly surprising we don't eat more of them.

I'm pretty sure the EU has tied our hands WRT North Sea fish stocks.
We could reduce our take in our traditional territorial waters but we can't stop the French or Spanish fleets taking the very same fish we leave behind.
We need to take a leaf out of the Icelandic book

By-catch is probably just as big a problem, though.

Jane Turner said:
It has to be something in the way fish is marketed that as a nation we still demand to eat an endangered and frankly bland fish... fortunately my 7 year old loves Mackerel
A lot of the cod in supermarkets will be labelled North East Atlantic which SHOULD mean Icelandic which is sustainable (although their fishing methods may cause damage to the sea bed).

Bland? Delicate flavour I'll have you know - It's probably the main reason for its popularity.

esmondb said:
Actually most of the tiny tasteless prawns are from the north Atlantic and with langoustines retailing at £20-£40/kg it's hardly surprising we don't eat more of them.

You can get a big bowl full of langoustines out west for about £12, which seems pretty good to me!. I don't see price as the issue here, I've introduced folk from down south to Loch Torridon 'Prawns' and they've been gob-smacked because they simply didn't realise that we had such things here!.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back