• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diving Striated Heron (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers!

I have seen many many Egrets and Herons in my days and they are always in the water edge looking for fish to eat.

I was bird watching at a typical fish farm area in Thailand a couple of months ago.

I spotted one Striated Heron flying over and suddenly, the bird dove down to the pond to catch a fish, I have seen many Drongos diving to drink water, but I think the heron was catching fish.

I could not believe it and I never reported the bird in eBird.

Today, at Greater Bongkot North Field, a gas field in Gulf of Thailand. When they produce gas they get condensate that are pumped to and stored on a FSU (Floating Storage Unit) One Striated Heron got startled and took off. Flying around the FSU over the water.

And again, I was surprised to see the bird dive down to the sea. Salt water so I am sure the bird caught a fish, or was trying to do so.

Anyone here seeing a heron diving like a sea gull to catch food? I am still not sure what I saw the bird doing.

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Dear members and bird watchers

This morning I spotted one Pond Heron in Gulf of Thailand, 2 hours south of Rayong. The bird followed the wake of the boat and looked exactly like the Terns following the boats. Diving and then changed his mind, so I actually never saw the bird dive to catch a fish.

Also flying low over the water looking to be looking for fish. So this is maybe a way for herons and egrets to catch fish even though I never seen it before

Aladdin

Dear members and bird watchers!

Since I wrote my first post I have seen all kinds of Egrets and Herons fishing Gull / Tern style. So I have got answer on my question.

Middle of Gulf of Thailand and I saw a Pond Heron chasing fish over open water.

This morning I saw a white cloud of Black-naped Terns chasing fish in the wake of the tug boat. I did not pay any attention as I have seen it many times. But suddenly there was a big dark grey bird, one Pacific Heron chasing fish like the Terns did. So now I have confirmed this behaviour from Egrets and Herons.

A little later I also saw a Great Egret hovering over the open sea diving for fish

Aladdin

Attachments

• ff.jpg
    ff.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 4
  • ffffff.jpg
    ffffff.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 4
  • fffff.jpg
    fffff.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 4
  • ffff.jpg
    ffff.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 3
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back