• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (2 Viewers)

Even for a time of year when you accept that it will be pretty slow, this has been an exceptionally slow start. Only three species recorded!

2021 Platform List
  1. Great Black-Backed Gull
  2. Herring Gull
  3. Kittiwake

Gosh!!!

Perhaps the birds are socially distancing from you Paul LOL

May I wish you and your family a very happy 2021.

A Guillemot seen yesterday. It was reported to me the day before as having been spotted on one of the walkways. Very unusual! Lunchtime yesterday I saw it on the sea surface having a good preen.

Even less birds around today with very few gulls about. It is almost as if they think something nasty is about to happen with the weather.:eek:

4. Guillemot

Arrived back yesterday. Only a handful of GBBG, a single Herring Gull and a single Kittiwake seen until a Gannet went past this morning.

As a side note, I did see a Red Kite on the drive up to Aberdeen on Monday.

6. Gannet

There are a handful of Kittiwake present, but the larger gulls have all but disappeared. A Guillemot has been seen over the last couple of days.

Roll on the Spring!!!

It has been extra bleak this mid-winter!

A few Kittiwakes. Both Herring and Great Black-Backed gulls in single digit numbers. And a single Gannet yesterday.

Perhaps they've all learnt the 'self-isolation' lesson Paul.

Bit depressing for you lad, don't they know you need cheering up when you're out there... they could make a bit of an effort for you couldn't they!! 😁

Here.... have a beer on the QT 🍺 no-one needs know, do they

Wasn't there once a North Sea bird club for birders working on the rigs. I seem to recall reading in Birdwatching back in the eighties about the club, and some of the bird records particularly during spring and autumn migration.

Wasn't there once a North Sea bird club for birders working on the rigs. I seem to recall reading in Birdwatching back in the eighties about the club, and some of the bird records particularly during spring and autumn migration.
Yes, it closed down a few years ago. All my records up to then went to them.

I arrived back home yesterday. I have to say that it has been the most barren trip ever, but I think I know the reason. In the autumn, the platform ceased production for the last time, a decision partly brought about by Covid. All work on the platform since is around decommissioning. As a result of all the process equipment being off-line, we are no longer using sea water for cooling purposes. That cooling water was heated before being returned to the sea, hence, the sea around us would have been a few degrees warmer, therefore making it more attractive for the gulls and others to sit in. Also, the large turbines we used that pushed out large amounts of hot air, are no longer running. No more hot air around the platform, and believe me we felt it last week. Again, it makes the platform less attractive to birds in the winter, I feel.

Still, spring is around the corner.

Game on

I arrived back, just after mid-day, and have already seen more than the whole of last trip. Herring Gull, GBBG and Kittiwake, as expected. A trawler came past with over 40 Gannets in tow. But best of all, even before the chopper landed, I could see a small dark bird flitting about the Pipe Deck. It looked Starling like, and an hour or so later, a quick check of that area confirmed that Starlings are on the move; with two of them landing a few feet away from me.

Not the most sensational spot I'll ever make, but a notable milestone in this year's turning of the seasons.

7. Starling

Ah!!! I'll be waiting with baited breath to find out what turns up next Paul!

Maybe my bird food bill will go down a bit now LOL

Yes, it closed down a few years ago. All my records up to then went to them.

I arrived back home yesterday. I have to say that it has been the most barren trip ever, but I think I know the reason. In the autumn, the platform ceased production for the last time, a decision partly brought about by Covid. All work on the platform since is around decommissioning. As a result of all the process equipment being off-line, we are no longer using sea water for cooling purposes. That cooling water was heated before being returned to the sea, hence, the sea around us would have been a few degrees warmer, therefore making it more attractive for the gulls and others to sit in. Also, the large turbines we used that pushed out large amounts of hot air, are no longer running. No more hot air around the platform, and believe me we felt it last week. Again, it makes the platform less attractive to birds in the winter, I feel.

Still, spring is around the corner.
Gander, does the decommissioning mean that at some point soon you will no longer be working on the platform and one of the best threads on bird forum will have to cease?

Gander, does the decommissioning mean that at some point soon you will no longer be working on the platform and one of the best threads on bird forum will have to cease?
I'm not done yet. I am certainly here until September. After that, I could possibly be required to stay for a few years or the company might move me on to another platform. Either way the thread goes on. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing much moving. There was a report a couple of nights ago, that a flock of small birds went past, but the description was vague at best, so I won't even hazard a guess as to what they might have been. The wind is mainly from the west, but maybe has a touch too much north in it to be bringing anything fresh. Still a couple of weeks early too, I suppose.

GBBG numbers have increased, but there is a lot of trawler activity in the area. I think they are fishing for Langoustine, as I am seeing discarded nippers on the decks, that even the gulls can't do anything with.

Fulmar seen today. First of the trip.

Oh yes!!! You will Paul.

you will...
you will.....
you will,.......
you will
:whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back