• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Local Patch (1 Viewer)

Looked in to Oxford Island on the way back from the NW200.

Amazing amount of flies. Think that's why this guy was just sitting and let me get quite close - must have been full up.

Bob

Attachments

• _MG_0567 (Large).JPG
    _MG_0567 (Large).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 41
Nice whitethroat today on the coastal walk North of Larne Leisure Centre. Sitting up singing, he kept coming back to the same bush to belt out a few more notes. Plenty of house martins over the beach plus sandwich terns fishing offshore. Ringed plover, turnstone and dunlin in breeding plumage on the beach near the Chaine Memorial.

I stopped by the side of the road on Croaghan, North Antrim last week, to take a photo of Bog Cotton, but to my surprise, the air was full of bird song & in less than 10 mins, I snapped these 5 different species, all to the soundtrack of a Cuckoo calling nearby.

Willow Warbler, Reed Bunting, Sedge Warbler, Redpoll & Blackcap

Cheers,
Dick

P.S. Yes, I know ....... I bought a better Camera yesterday! :D

Attachments

• SAM_1257.JPG
    SAM_1257.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 56
  • SAM_1276.jpg
    SAM_1276.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 49
  • SAM_1273.jpg
    SAM_1273.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 46
  • SAM_1269.jpg
    SAM_1269.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 43
  • SAM_1264.jpg
    SAM_1264.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Since my last post and as of yesterday, I am now the proud owner of a Panasonic DMC-FZ150 so as you can see from these first, below, I am now getting a little closer to my little feathered friends. ;)

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P150.2.JPG
    P150.2.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 32
  • P.150.4.JPG
    P.150.4.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 34
  • P1000024.jpg
    P1000024.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 37
  • P.150.xl.sedge.runkerry..JPG
    P.150.xl.sedge.runkerry..JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 41
The convertor & Tele Lens just arrived for my Panasonic FZ150, so as you can see, I can now get a little closer to the regular visitors to my North Antrim garden. ;)

Here are the first results, taken this afternoon.

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• P.150.tele.2.JPG
    P.150.tele.2.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 42
  • P.150.tele.3.JPG
    P.150.tele.3.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 41
  • P.150.tele.4.JPG
    P.150.tele.4.JPG
    378.1 KB · Views: 42
  • P.150.tele.5.JPG
    P.150.tele.5.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 34
  • P.150.tele9.JPG
    P.150.tele9.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 30
Have moved to Coleraine from north-east England recently and have got the drift that the Londonderry area is pretty under-watched in most places. With that in mind I've started birding Rinagree Coastal Park, which runs between Portstewart and Portrush.

Starting in June has meant a skimpy wader list so far, though I'm getting an idea of where the high tide roosts are located: Redshank, Curlew and Black-headed Gull (and at this time of year, Sandwich Tern) all roosting in single-species flocks at the W end of the golf course, whereas Oystercatchers roost much further E. Ringed Plover and Turnstone are more or less the only other waders I've seen so far. The Eider are out and about, females with young in tow sometimes coming very close inshore. Generally fewer than half of Eider seen in the last month have been this year's hatchlings, though last night I found three adults accompanying six young, a much more promising ratio. Shelduck are also about sometimes.

The best feature of the park is a Kittiwake colony numbering around 135 nests. Almost all pairs are managing to keep two young fed, and a handful of broods numbering three! Juvenile colouration coming through on the nestlings' backs so fledging not far off. Fulmar also breed at the tops of the same cliffs, and I first spotted young yesterday. A Raven pair bred beside the colony this year judging by the sturdy nest and the fact I almost always see three of them about on a visit.

Accompanying the local ringers to a handy peninsular within the park last night, it's become clear that there are also swarms of Storm Petrel moving through during favourable conditions, with 40 caught last night under such conditions. Seawatching seems promising from the park, with Black Guillemot, Common Guillemot, Razorbill, Gannet, Shag and Cormorant picked up with just binoculars. Finally, on the passerine front, Reed Bunting, Linnet, Stonechat, Meadow Pipit, Rock Pipit and Goldfinch have all likely bred this year, plus huge numbers of Starling and some House Sparrow feeding around the park. An outflow of freshwater(/treated sewage??) below the cliffs (with a small bridge over) has attracted Sand Martin, Pied Wagtail and Grey Wagtail.

Last edited:
Went out to burr point last night for an hour between 7:20pm to 8:20pm 100+ Manx shearwaters gannets gulliemots and razorbills in good numbers I went out looking for storm petrels anyone help me on site and time to look for stormies. Was talking to a local fisherman who on Sunday night at dusk had an otter there

Rinagree Coastal Park, since last post above, has turned up a juvenile Cuckoo. Also forgot to mention I've had Kestrel there a couple of times. Storm Petrels coming through in good numbers still, 35 caught on Thursday.

jredds21, not sure about Burr Point but stormies around our way are highly active after midnight at the minute, when it is often still light on the north coast.

Magilligan Point

Red-throated Diver x 1, Dunlin x 140, Ringed Plover x 3 pairs (2 had two juveniles), Gannets, Sandwich Terns, Common Guillemot, Kittiwake, GBB Gull, Common Gull, Herring Gull, Cormorant, Black Guillemot, [Harbour Porpoise x 2, Grey Seal x 1]

Also a Peregrine chasing a BH-Gull-sized bird along cliffs at Downhill.

Do you get corncrake on raithlin going to stay on the island in august was wondering if anyone knew cheers John

I camped on Rathlin in 1973 and couldn't sleep for the corncrakes calling all night!! However I don't think there are any nowadays and August would be very late anyhow. I'm sure Rathlin would make a lovely spot to visit in late summer!

Colour ring reading FOR SCIENCE :)

Anyone thinking of heading out to the Barmouth at the minute wants to take their scope and look out for black-tailed godwit carrying colour rings. I found one on friday, but after 8pm so the light only permitted a clear view of one leg. 'My' bird carried a yellow and a white ring on its right leg; left leg looked like a blue and a green but not confident in those.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back