• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Kites (1 Viewer)

June Atkinson said:
So, if you do see any of the kites, and can identify them by their wing tags, it is very important to send such sightings to the NK Office 0191 496 1555.
Your co-operation is sought and will be very welcome. Thank you.

June, top class update (again). many sightings over Rowlands Gill lately probably explained by the numbers currently roosting at Sherburn Twrs, but in the countless sightings I've had since the first release in 2004, I have yet to identify a tag number. I know info on sightings is important to the project but is it worthwhile reporting sightings without identification?

Also do you have any specific info on WT40 the bird I photographed at the release, wondered what he/she's been up to?

Cheers for now :flyaway:

Sightings

Mouldy said:
June, top class update (again). many sightings over Rowlands Gill lately probably explained by the numbers currently roosting at Sherburn Twrs, but in the countless sightings I've had since the first release in 2004, I have yet to identify a tag number. I know info on sightings is important to the project but is it worthwhile reporting sightings without identification?

Also do you have any specific info on WT40 the bird I photographed at the release, wondered what he/she's been up to?

Cheers for now :flyaway:
:hi:
Unless the wing tag number can be clearly identified, it isn't particularly helpful to report a sighting, unless there is something about its behaviour or condition which is of concern. I was disappointed when I spotted a lone kite at the Swalwell roundabout/slip road on to the Western By-Pass.....it was flying too high for me to identify it.
I'll try to find out what WT 40 is up to ......I was in the Office this morning, and the board was so full of the monitoring info that it's hard to recall specific details. But I promise to ask! :flyaway:

June Atkinson said:
:

I'll try to find out what WT 40 is up to ......I was in the Office this morning, and the board was so full of the monitoring info that it's hard to recall specific details. But I promise to ask! :flyaway:

Thanks June, acting on your latest info, I report as follows....

Made the short trip to Sherburn Towers Farm this afternoon to look out for the roosting Red Kites. When I arrived at 3.30pm, straight away I could see 4 Kites above the trees left and right, and from then until I left at 4.15pm a constant stream of between 2 and 8 birds were in vision in excellent light, mostly appearing as specks in the distance from the direction of Barlow but growing ever closer eventually giving excellent views as they circled slowly low above the farmland, calling occasionally before disappearing into the trees. Difficult to put a number on how many individuals I saw but must have been in excess of twenty. A few birds were in a distant field, one just standing motionless for ages, others appearing in flight just above the ground from beyond where the land dips out of sight.
Star of the show though was an adult Common Buzzard, I first noticed it soaring in the distance with a group of Kites, it gave a great display of laboured hovering in the middle distance, soared with the Kites over the near field but then came closest of all when the local corvids took a dislike to it (strange but not a single Kite was mobbed all the time I was there). 2 Crows and 3 Jackdaws chased it right over to where I was standing, then veered off left. Circling round again it passed me in the opposite direction this time with 9 corvids in attendance. Wings beating faster now as it was being harried from all directions, next time it passed me it had picked up a stream of 17 mobbers from the surrounding fields and this time it didn’t return, it flew off into the distance and I counted no less than 33 pursuers. The whole incident was straight out of Benny Hill, all that was missing was the music.
The whole time I was there, a number of Jays were flying to and fro, bills full of goods to stash away for the winter in a frenzy of activity for that particular species, and with some finch flocks building up a return with a ‘scope is warranted methinks.
Things quietened down at about 4.15pm and I suddenly had the image of my better half now gasping for a cup of tea, as I’d left the house on the pretext of popping down to Tescos for milk, but took my bins ’just in case’. A last look as I walked off and another 3 Kites had appeared. Got my provisions and walked back home via the same route. This time, at 4.55pm, not a single Kite was showing, so off I went for a well deserved cuppa.
All in all this was probably the best prolonged view of good numbers of Kites I’ve ever had and the Buzzard (not for the first time this year) was a great bonus. Though its always a bit of pot luck when looking for the Kites I hope this gives an idea of timing for better chance of good sightings, if you can get as good a forty five minutes as I had today I would recommend the Sherburn Towers roost to anyone. Thanks June. :flyaway:

(Also added to Your Local Patch: Gateshead Birders thread)

Mouldy said:
Thanks June, acting on your latest info, I report as follows....

Made the short trip to Sherburn Towers Farm this afternoon to look out for the roosting Red Kites. When I arrived at 3.30pm, straight away I could see 4 Kites above the trees left and right, and from then until I left at 4.15pm a constant stream of between 2 and 8 birds were in vision in excellent light, mostly appearing as specks in the distance from the direction of Barlow but growing ever closer eventually giving excellent views as they circled slowly low above the farmland, calling occasionally before disappearing into the trees. Difficult to put a number on how many individuals I saw but must have been in excess of twenty. A few birds were in a distant field, one just standing motionless for ages, others appearing in flight just above the ground from beyond where the land dips out of sight.
Star of the show though was an adult Common Buzzard, I first noticed it soaring in the distance with a group of Kites, it gave a great display of laboured hovering in the middle distance, soared with the Kites over the near field but then came closest of all when the local corvids took a dislike to it (strange but not a single Kite was mobbed all the time I was there). 2 Crows and 3 Jackdaws chased it right over to where I was standing, then veered off left. Circling round again it passed me in the opposite direction this time with 9 corvids in attendance. Wings beating faster now as it was being harried from all directions, next time it passed me it had picked up a stream of 17 mobbers from the surrounding fields and this time it didn’t return, it flew off into the distance and I counted no less than 33 pursuers. The whole incident was straight out of Benny Hill, all that was missing was the music.
The whole time I was there, a number of Jays were flying to and fro, bills full of goods to stash away for the winter in a frenzy of activity for that particular species, and with some finch flocks building up a return with a ‘scope is warranted methinks.
Things quietened down at about 4.15pm and I suddenly had the image of my better half now gasping for a cup of tea, as I’d left the house on the pretext of popping down to Tescos for milk, but took my bins ’just in case’. A last look as I walked off and another 3 Kites had appeared. Got my provisions and walked back home via the same route. This time, at 4.55pm, not a single Kite was showing, so off I went for a well deserved cuppa.
All in all this was probably the best prolonged view of good numbers of Kites I’ve ever had and the Buzzard (not for the first time this year) was a great bonus. Though its always a bit of pot luck when looking for the Kites I hope this gives an idea of timing for better chance of good sightings, if you can get as good a forty five minutes as I had today I would recommend the Sherburn Towers roost to anyone. Thanks June. :flyaway:

(Also added to Your Local Patch: Gateshead Birders thread)

That's great stuff, Alan! Sherburn Towers is definitely THE PLACE to see the kites at the moment. I have been off-line (the water mains have been replaced and they (won't say who!) slashed through our phone line. Well, it's been repaired this morning and we're back in business. So that's why I rang you Alan, to let you - and everyone else - know that WT 40, your 'catch' with the camera at the release, was over Thornley Woods Kennels on Thursday. Good to know that she (I think) is fine. :clap:

salty said:
mouldy, i have noticed the increase of sparrowhawks this year!

there are lots of new birds around, on monday i had 2 different birds within 10mins at winlaton, then a 3rd later on. most areas will produce sparrowhawk before kestrel!

plenty in and around the far pasture area when i have been observing the kites too.

Aye Salty, don't know if it's just the same birds all the time but it's a poor day if you don't get Sparrowhawk somewhere in the valley when out birding, yet apart from around Far Pasture I can't think of another regular spot for Kestrel.

Hi
Birds of Gateshead (published 1993) suggests over 40 pairs of Kestrel in the Borough compared with 25 pr's for Sparrowhawk....
SE

few snaps i took at sherburn this week.

Attachments

• pics3 005.jpg
    pics3 005.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 147
  • red kite 3.JPG
    red kite 3.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 136
  • red kite 8.JPG
    red kite 8.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 137
  • red kite 9.JPG
    red kite 9.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 162
  • red kite 6.JPG
    red kite 6.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 134
StevieEvans said:
Hi
Birds of Gateshead (published 1993) suggests over 40 pairs of Kestrel in the Borough compared with 25 pr's for Sparrowhawk....
SE

Hi Steve,

apparently that was the case but as it happens there's a cracking shot of a pair of Kestrels on gatesheadbirders.co.uk taken at Far Pasture recently and in the caption the editor comments:

"Pair of Kestrels at Far Pasture on a telegraph pole next to the gates of the sewage works.... Unlike in the 1990s, there are probably more Sparrow-hawks and Red Kites in Gateshead than this species."

Mouldy said:
Hi Steve,

apparently that was the case but as it happens there's a cracking shot of a pair of Kestrels on gatesheadbirders.co.uk taken at Far Pasture recently and in the caption the editor comments:

"Pair of Kestrels at Far Pasture on a telegraph pole next to the gates of the sewage works.... Unlike in the 1990s, there are probably more Sparrow-hawks and Red Kites in Gateshead than this species."

Hi Mouldy
Your right, there are some great pics & loads of info on the Gateshead Birders site.
Do you think that Kestrels have declined in Gateashead? or is it Sparrowhawks ( & kites !)have continued to increase...

We are recommencing the DBC Projects & Survey Group (& meet this week)
I have proposed Kestrel as one of our "12 core species" to study year round.
Do you think that species would generate interest & record submission from birders you know....?
Steve

Last edited:
Sounds like I'm due another visit to view the Kites and that Sherburn Towers is the best place - if the weather ever brightens!

Must admit that Kestrel is a regular for me at Far Pasture most often perched on tree to the north of the hide above the pond.

I think Kestrel would be a very popular species to study/attract a decent response as they're easy to see/identify whether perched or in flight/hovering, are well spread across the county and have that added 'raptor attraction'. I certainly always keep a look out for them.

StevieEvans said:
Hi Mouldy
Your right, there are some great pics & loads of info on the Gateshead Birders site.
Do you think that Kestrels have declined in Gateashead? or is it Sparrowhawks ( & kites !)have continued to increase...

Do you think that species would generate interest & record submission from birders you know....?
Steve
We I think I may know one BF member who would be interested. ;)

Ray

StevieEvans said:
Hi Mouldy

Steve

Hi Steve,

I haven't lived in the area long enough or cover enough ground to answer your first question with any authority, but from observations from my patch over the last two years (Derwent Valley from Rowlands Gill to Swalwell plus Shibdon Pond) the only regular Kestrels are the pair at Far Pasture as stated by others. Sparrowhawk are also usually thereabouts too and are more often seen elsewhere though an actual number is difficult to put a figure on.

I think local birders would be interested in submitting records to any studies, I know I would, and doc Gadwall on the Gatesheadbirders site would no doubt put a request on line for those not in the DBC (perish the thought).

Keep us informed. :flyaway:

Good news on Kite's return

:hi:
Here is the latest news up-date on our Northern Kites.
:scribe:
Summary of Activity at 25th October 2005 (thanks to Ken (Sanderson)for this):

Some good news: WT18 is back in Gateshead. :t: He was detected at the main roost site, Sherburn Towers on the 24th October. Other kites from last year still in the area are WT3, WT6, WT9, WT15, WT16 & WT19 (Ruby).
WT2, as far as we know, is still at Harewood House in Yorkshire.
WT5 is still in Teesdale with the juvenile females WT23 & WT57.
WT23 stays at Eggleston and WT57 is at Kinninvie and he travels between them, staying anytime from one to six days with each bird in turn.

From the new releases, WT25, WT26, WT30 and WT49 remain undetected.
There were 34 kites in total at roost there that evening, an increase of 2 on the previous week. Birds started to arrive at 17.45hrs (some probably had not even left the roost because it had been raining heavy until after lunch time). Up to twenty three kites were observed dropping into the trees that surround the farm. The majority glided lazily over from the Barlow Fell direction but some were still foraging on the way and could be seen dropping into fields. One kite, WT22, dropped into a field of winter cereal and walked the full length of it, almost certainly looking for worms.
The wing tags of the following kites were read as they were perched: WT3, WT22, WT27, WT47, WT48 & WT50.
The kites were disturbed by the farmer walking through the wood on his way to check his sheep and this put 18 kites up into the air, a fantastic site even in the fading light. They soon settled again but were disturbed again on his return. This time only 9 were “put up”. They circled for a minute or so then settled in trees a couple of hundred metres west of Sherburn Towers.
Five kites roosted in the Barlow Burn and oddly, one kite (WT54) roosted on its own just north east of Barlow village, roughly half way to Winlaton ( Grid ref. 160612).
Comparisons with last weeks roosting
WT34 & WT60, the two birds that roosted in the Barlow Burn last week were in there again this week.
They were joined by WT16, WT31 & WT41 who all roosted at Sherburn Towers last week.
The three kites that roosted at Lochaugh last week were in the main roost at Sherburn Towers as were the two that were at Low Spen Farm.

Jules Burnett :scribe:
Project Administrator
NORTHERN KITES
Office Suite 3B
33 St. Mary's Green
Whickham
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE16 4DN
Telephone: 0191 496 1555
www.northernkites.org.uk
Northern Kites is a joint initiative between English Nature, Forestry Commission, Gateshead Council, The National Trust, Northumbrian Water and The RSPB with additional funding from The Heritage Lottery Fund and SITA Trust

cheers June, great work as always.

i will try to pop up to sherburn tomorrow for some decent pics, weather permitting of course.

Kite social behaviour

rayl said:
Thanks for the update June, looking forward to next spring when we have some Geordie Kitelets.

Ray

We are quietly confident Ray. Our main hopes lie with Rufus and Ruby, the ones which actually did pair up last Spring. Ruby did build a nest, but in her innocence - or ignorance - she built it on the ground! They even gathered twigs, so they have an inkling as to what it's all about.

This is a personal thought, but I suppose it's not beyond the bounds of possibility for WT2, Scarlet, to stay with the Harewood House kites, find a partner and breed. If that were to happen, then it achieves one goal: to mix the genes and to extend the kites' range from one area towards another.

June

just had a great hour up at hollinside lane, the kites were out in force!

only wingtag i managed was WT24 (pictured below), but the sky was bright and cloud free, and there was a constant supply of kites from all areas.

Attachments

• kite 24.jpg
    kite 24.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 168
  • red kite at hollinside 11.jpg
    red kite at hollinside 11.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 156
  • redkite at hollinside 3.jpg
    redkite at hollinside 3.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 148
  • red kite at hollinside.jpg
    red kite at hollinside.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 155
  • red kite at hollinside 8.jpg
    red kite at hollinside 8.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 147
Kite party

salty said:
just had a great hour up at hollinside lane, the kites were out in force!

only wingtag i managed was WT24 (pictured below), but the sky was bright and cloud free, and there was a constant supply of kites from all areas.

Glad you had such a great time, Richie :t: :clap:
Lovely shots of the birds. What camera are you using - have you got a zoom or digiscope?

Would you please send a message to the NK Office, giving the details of your WT24 sighting, and please, please, include your pics. The image data base is steadily growing. If any or ever your images were used, you would be accredited of course.......not paid but your expertise behind the camera acknowledged! :t:

Leonard and I took a quick trip to the coast - did our usual St.Mary's Lighthouse, along to the harbour at Tynemouth, then back home via Seaton Delaval. Not a lot to see actually, although the tide was out. The usual seabirds, curlew, lapwing, cormorant, redshank, loads of mallard on the pool behind the viewing wall. But it was a beautiful, if cold, late afternoon, and we came back driving into a glorious sunset.

:gn:

Contact with Northern Kites

salty said:
June: pics were taken from a canon EOS 350D with zoom lens.

how do i go about reporting numbers/sightings?

Burnett, Julian <[email protected]>

This will reach the NK Office, Richie.

I'm going to view your photos again today, with Leonard - he'll enjoy them I'm sure.
I'm toying with the idea of buying the Canon S2 - have seen some good images from it. But it's not a digital SLR. Not quite sure what to do about this choice - which way to jump!! :stuck:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back