• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (7 Viewers)

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt resident mean they are permanantly present all year which presumably no Osprey's are. Are you referring to the regular returning breeding birds we have in Northumberland?

Glorious morning at Druridge Bay... not too many waders around but four red-throated divers plus red-breasted merganser, cormorant and common scoter.

One of the divers was very approachable - hunting in the shallows just off shore.

Attachments

• IMGP1306.jpg
    IMGP1306.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 80
Had a ride to Cresswell this morning, been about 4 weeks since i last paid a visit. Not a lot out of the ordinary to see unfortunately but the Stonechats by the main road and the Skylarks singing were nice all the same. Opted to go to Prestwick Carr in the hope the Short Eared Owls would put on a nice display, wasn't disappointed - these birds have been absolute stars for a good 6 months now :t:

Couple of pictures;

Attachments

• 03-11-12-9485-DSC_3215.jpg
    03-11-12-9485-DSC_3215.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 03-11-12-9642-DSC_3401.jpg
    03-11-12-9642-DSC_3401.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 03-11-12-9760-DSC_3530.jpg
    03-11-12-9760-DSC_3530.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 69
  • 03-11-12-9808-DSC_3578.jpg
    03-11-12-9808-DSC_3578.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 73
Any sign of the shrike?

BTW speaking of summer birds....I had a customer in my shop yesterday informing me he'd seen a cuckoo last week ;) That'll probably be the same as the woman who has a peregrine taking spuggies in her garden and the farner with a snowy owl in his back felds every night :-O

Does anyone know if a peregrine has been spotted before flying over Morpeth town centre? I was at KEVI high school on Friday evening (for my girls' first dancing performance...at the tender age of 4!), and saw a dark raptor soaring southwards which suddenly seemed to wheel sideways and plummet downards... probably a sparrowhawk...but appeared quite large - though difficult to judge... so just thought I'd ask...!

Had a ride to Cresswell this morning, been about 4 weeks since i last paid a visit. Not a lot out of the ordinary to see unfortunately but the Stonechats by the main road and the Skylarks singing were nice all the same. Opted to go to Prestwick Carr in the hope the Short Eared Owls would put on a nice display, wasn't disappointed - these birds have been absolute stars for a good 6 months now :t:

Couple of pictures;

Awesome pictures as always Derek :t:

Any sign of the shrike?

BTW speaking of summer birds....I had a customer in my shop yesterday informing me he'd seen a cuckoo last week ;) That'll probably be the same as the woman who has a peregrine taking spuggies in her garden and the farner with a snowy owl in his back felds every night :-O

that reminds me gill, someone once said to me they had a kingfisher feeding on the hanging nuts in there garden :-O they wouldnt have it that it was probably a nuthatch :-O
cheers
steven

Shrike was up in the field east of the sentry box today. Informed Birdguides but for some reason they didn't put it out, dunno why tho?

that reminds me gill, someone once said to me they had a kingfisher feeding on the hanging nuts in there garden :-O they wouldnt have it that it was probably a nuthatch :-O
cheers
steven

:-O Oh THAT one definitely wins! :t:

The woman with the snowy owl: lives on her family's farm on Alnwick Moor. Told me she saw the bird most evenings (this was 2-3 years ago) and called it a snowy owl. I said ''Ah it'll be a barn owl then'' ''Oooh no' she said ''it's definitely a snowy owl!'' :-O
I didn't try to correct her and tell her if it WAS a snowy owl she'd have hundreds of twitchers in her garden :-O I mean, she's lived in the countryside all her life.....I'm just a townie who escaped to the country....what would I know, after all? ;) :-O

Out and about in Northumberland this morning, there was a lot of Goshawk Activity. I also had Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Merlin, Peregrine and Buzzard. So quite a good day.

We have been up-county from Ponteland today.
We had lunch at the Anglers' Arms at Weldon Bridge, Longframlington and then headed across to Rothbury, before striking westwards over to the A696.

We saw a glorious kestrel on the way over, and then three buzzards near Kirkwhelpington.

We did go into the Fontburn Reservoir in the hope of seeing an osprey, but no luck I'm afraid.

A Iceland gull(adult or just about) was on the roof of the N/Shields fish quay again today.(viewed from the south side of the Tyne ;) ).

We had lunch at the Anglers' Arms at Weldon Bridge, Longframlington and then headed across to Rothbury, before striking westwards over to the A696

Ah my most favourite pub, the Steak and Ale pie is to die for.
I had a Red Squirrek run across the road to Rothbury the last time i was there.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back